Mid Rats at their unfinest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Rats at their unfinest!

Have a cooked pot of pinto beans and brown rice in the frig.

For the past two nights, been grabbing a few spoonfuls right before I take off for work so I don't go in with an empty belly. That recipe has become by quick, get a bite, food.

Why, it reminds me of the horror stories of mid rats on a ship, when it wasn't sandwiches with meat slices and cheese, but the left over chilli and coffee.

I don't think I ever experienced the latter.....till now, but having been there, done that, I find it interesting that my past is catching up with me like this.

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    Have a cooked pot of pinto beans and brown rice in the frig.

For the past two nights, been grabbing a few spoonfuls right before I take off for work so I don't go in with an empty belly. That recipe has become by quick, get a bite, food.

Why, it reminds me of the horror stories of mid rats on a ship, when it wasn't sandwiches with meat slices and cheese, but the left over chilli and coffee.

I don't think I ever experienced the latter.....till now, but having been there, done that, I find it interesting that my past is catching up with me like this.
    Not chili and rice . . . it's chili and macaroni, or simply "chilimac." I liked it so much that I make it to this very day when short on time and ideas. My kids love it too!

Comment

Speaking of which I am finishing up some chili and macaroni right now for my lunch. One of my favorite hot lunches for the office and ship.

Comment

Nothing wrong with chilimac. I always liked the S.O.S. though in spite of what everyone else may have thought of it. Lots of pepper on it, that's what made it edible.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          Not chili and rice . . . it's chili and macaroni, or simply "chilimac." I liked it so much that I make it to this very day when short on time and ideas. My kids love it too!
          Pinto beans alone makes "chili"?

Not only does it seem like there are some "bugs" in the stew missing, but also the primary bug in this stew is something that a lot people don't want in their chili.

Two other things. What I do with macaroni, when I make it, is usually far too sophisticated to regulate it down to mid rats. There are no boxes of macaroni and cheese around this house hold.

Secondly, pinto beans and brown (white is kept around these days only as a cheap emergency ration) rice may take quite a while to make, but I think it holds its own over the following days. It seems like anything pasta would turn into very unappetizing mush over a day or two. While a version of "Moors & Christians" (black beans, brown rice, black eyed peas) is a favorite of mine because of the taste and ease of cooking, I'm not sure how it would stand up to being 3rd day left overs in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
            Pinto beans alone makes "chili"?

Not only does it seem like there are some "bugs" in the stew missing, but also the primary bug in this stew is something that a lot people don't want in their chili.

Two other things. What I do with macaroni, when I make it, is usually far too sophisticated to regulate it down to mid rats. There are no boxes of macaroni and cheese around this house hold.

Secondly, pinto beans and brown (white is kept around these days only as a cheap emergency ration) rice may take quite a while to make, but I think it holds its own over the following days. It seems like anything pasta would turn into very unappetizing mush over a day or two. While a version of "Moors & Christians" (black beans, brown rice, black eyed peas) is a favorite of mine because of the taste and ease of cooking, I'm not sure how it would stand up to being 3rd day left overs in the fridge.
            I make pintos and ham hocks all the time. We eat on those for a couple of days, and then I turn them into REAL refried beans. My wife, who is of Mexican descent, makes her own tortillas, and we feast like there's no tomorrow.

One of my other favorites with my Brazilian and Portuguese liaison background (I'm a Portuguese speaker so I was occasionally pressed into that role) is Feijoada. It's black beans, pork (especially pigs feet) and Linguiça, which you can serve over white rice like Moros y Cristianos, but personally I think it tastes a whole lot better. The Linguiça really adds to the favor.

Comment

Nothing like getting off the 2200-0200 watch and swinging by the galley line right before they close it.

Empty tray full of crumbs... tray of plain white rice... tray of plain white rice... tray of mashed potatoes left over from lunch... tray of pancake syrup. Pancakes nowhere to be seen. Eh, guess I'm having cereal for midrats.
              "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I make pintos and ham hocks all the time. We eat on those for a couple of days, and then I turn them into REAL refried beans. My wife, who is of Mexican descent, makes her own tortillas, and we feast like there's no tomorrow.

One of my other favorites with my Brazilian and Portuguese liaison background (I'm a Portuguese speaker so I was occasionally pressed into that role) is Feijoada. It's black beans, pork (especially pigs feet) and Linguiça, which you can serve over white rice like Moros y Cristianos, but personally I think it tastes a whole lot better. The Linguiça really adds to the favor.
                I am careful with how I use "meats". I have a taste preference for fish but Mom taught me that fish was not meant for leftovers due to food poisoning concerns. I do keep beef around in the form of brisket but I usually use that only for sandwiches and stews. Use bird from time to time.

Don't really have a taste for pig in any form. I suppose it is because I can't buy it cheap that my appetite for it has been curbed and has been adjusted to other styles. Ie, I would rather have kippers or fish for breakfast than bacon. But.....between my work schedule and how breakfast is served in America, "breakfast" has become a thing of the past for me.

About buying cheap. Dad taught me about beans when one didn't have much money (because pre WWII army was like that) and it has just carried on. Now, I can go to the grocery store and make out like a bandit with various kinds of beans that aren't that costly, last forever without power, and can provide several days of meals for under a buck or so. (I'd combine it with other cheap items: potatoes, lentils, split peas, milk, etc for proper nutrition).

Comment

Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
                  Nothing like getting off the 2200-0200 watch and swinging by the galley line right before they close it.

Empty tray full of crumbs... tray of plain white rice... tray of plain white rice... tray of mashed potatoes left over from lunch... tray of pancake syrup. Pancakes nowhere to be seen. Eh, guess I'm having cereal for midrats.

.. And there isn't a box of Rice Krispies or Frosted Flakes to be seen. Nothing but Shredded Wheat to go with your shelf stabilized milk.

Ooh yes the good old days

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    .. And there isn't a box of Rice Krispies or Frosted Flakes to be seen. Nothing but Shredded Wheat to go with your shelf stabilized milk.

Ooh yes the good old days
                    We had pretty decent MIDRATS on the carrier. You sort of had your choice of leftovers from dinner, or breakfast items. I usually opted for breakfast and the cook's version of an Egg McMuffin. I slept pretty well after a couple of those.

Comment

Last deployment, midrats was breakfast for about 4 months. Dark days...And we didn't get cereal, the MDMAA locked that up until breakfast.

I finally had my wife send me a crap ton of protein and oatmeal...a delicious mix pre or post workout.
                      "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Hmmm... what are you guys talking about. Our guys in Iraq and A-stan envied your food
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

We had pretty decent MIDRATS on the carrier. You sort of had your choice of leftovers from dinner, or breakfast items. I usually opted for breakfast and the cook's version of an Egg McMuffin. I slept pretty well after a couple of those.
                          It's a far cry from the mess decks to the wardroom, Sir...
                          Last edited by Squirrel; 23 Jun 14,, 00:06. Reason: grammar is my enemy
                          "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Hmmm... what are you guys talking about. Our guys in Iraq and A-stan envied your food
                            You know how it is. No matter how bad you think you have it, there is always someone who has it worse. There were times I didn't eat dinner because it was just so sucky it couldn't be eaten. However, I had an insight that others didn't. As the Engineering Auxiliaries Officer, I owned all of the non-propulsion related equipment . . . including all of that stuff in the galley and scullery. All of the ovens, mixers, refrigerators, etc., etc., etc., belonged to me and my men as far as repair and maintenance were concerned, so we were in their spaces fairly often and I saw how the guys who made the food ate. I found it interesting that they were eating things like peppered beef on rice, while we were eating freaking dog food, or a close relative of it, so I approached the assistant supply officer in charge of the galleys and told him that if I saw the mess cooks eating better food than the crew again, I was going to drop a dime on him to the XO. Food suddenly got better over night. Funny how making them "an offer they can't refuse" always seems to work, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                              It's a far cry from the mess decks to the wardroom, Sir...
                              Actually, that's not always true. One must keep in mind is that officers actually pay for the food they eat. We have a mess bill every month and for some reason I've never understood, there is always some asshole that tries to cut corners so that he (we) can pocket more of that mess bill money. My take on it is that you are usually in some asshole of the world, and one of the few things we have going for us is decent food, so why are we eating fucking grilled cheese sandwiches three times per day while the crew is having fried chicken for dinner, hamburgers for lunch, and breakfast to order at 0600? When I was XO/CO I always put it to a vote in the wardroom. Who wants to eat off the mess decks? The vote was generally unanimous for eating what the crew was eating. We just ate off of real plates instead of aluminum trays.
                              Last edited by desertswo; 23 Jun 14,, 00:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X