Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Just make sure the NorK's don't open the screen door on that thing and they should be fine . . . .
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I have been following this thread and one thought keeps coming to mind. How terrifying to be a member of that crew. One small misstep, error or omission... and you're gone. Probably your family too. I'm surprised one of our satellites didn't pick up the huge sigh of relief when the "Great Leader" went back ashore.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          An article authored by David Blair, National Post, out of the Middle East Office reported.....

"During his visit, pictures of which were released Monday, Mr. Kim mounted the vessel’s conning tower and went on a short voyage, during which the official news agency reported that the multi-talented leader “taught” the submarine’s captain a “good method of navigation.”

The helicopter's rotor wash appears to be kicking up a bit of spray on the port quarter, which appears to be confirmed with the officers on the sail bracing their covers.

Zraver, perhaps there is a sub driver reading this post that can weigh in on your question... I can only add that the picture doesn't appear to be Photo Shopped .... but then I've only been reading up of Fletcher- DD's

The key phase in Blair's report confirms the public's perception that Kim is a dead reckoning navigator of the first class .......
          Not saying there might not be some rotorwash, but the evidence says its exhaust. You can see the exhaust plume in this pic as well. The sub is obviously underway and under its own power.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm surprised nobody was shot for not making sure it had a fresh lick of paint for the happy snap...

love how the hatch has been completely removed to accommodate his royal visage with an unobstructed view....
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
              It is my opinion that the "string" is not the remnants of a "lock out" card but a "reminder string" to aid the recall of Kim "not to dive the boat"........
              The string was like a "pinky string" to remind everyone to close the hatch - unfort they've also lost the hatch as well the luggage ID card used to hold the reminder note.

hatch off = AWO's dream opportunity

"that's not a whale farting sir - that's a hatchless romeo"
              Linkeden:

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post

love how the hatch has been completely removed to accommodate his royal visage with an unobstructed view....
                Ooo wow hadn't noticed that! :slap:

Comment

The string was like a "pinky string" to remind everyone to close the hatch - unfort they've also lost the hatch as well the luggage ID card used to hold the reminder note.

hatch off = AWO's dream opportunity

"that's not a whale farting sir - that's a hatchless romeo"
                  Are you sure a hatch goes there? The hinge pins look kind of small to hold a hatch of the size that would cover that opening and the edges don't look like a proper hatch coaming. Maybe there was a spray guard there? Trying to find a good close up Romeo picture but so far haven't found one that shows that area in good detail.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                    Are you sure a hatch goes there? The hinge pins look kind of small to hold a hatch of the size that would cover that opening and the edges don't look like a proper hatch coaming. Maybe there was a spray guard there? Trying to find a good close up Romeo picture but so far haven't found one that shows that area in good detail.
                    It is a spray guard mounting point.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Populated sail ......

This bow on view provided by Zraver reminds me of a pontoon fishing boat loaded to the max!

Kim's following [Security] detail should of been experiencing emergency head calls as the boat plow about the bay.

The eyesight of the NORK sailor must be keen as there are no glasses around the neck of any officer.
                      A regular high noon joyride in Kim's private boat.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by blidgepump; 25 Jun 14,, 03:10.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                        I've got some old grainy black and whites that show a hatch in place when surfacing... most of the time you don't see them in staged shots - but I do wonder whether its because they don't last long

If you consider acoustics, the absence of a hatch would trigger very significant cavitation noises - even when submerged - and there are no ports in the sail for water in the sail to drain out. So if she surfaces without a hatch then the water will still be within the sail - and note the sail designs obs windows - its designed for people to be able to look out. a bit hard if its clogged full of water and you can't open the lower hatch to get out - let alone stand on the lower bridge to look out.
                        Last edited by gf0012-aust; 25 Jun 14,, 01:44.
                        Linkeden:

Comment

. . . and note the sail designs obs windows - its designed for people to be able to look out. a bit hard if its clogged full of water and you can't open the lower hatch to get out - let alone stand on the lower bridge to look out.
                          I noticed that, too; and it looks like one of the windows is completetly missing, in BOTH shots!
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                            I noticed that, too; and it looks like one of the windows is completetly missing, in BOTH shots!
                            I've been onboard a romeo and a whisky a few years back

both types were missing the odd obs window - and it was either left or right of the centre pane

maybe its a design feature :)
                            Linkeden:

Comment

I've got some old grainy black and whites that show a hatch in place when surfacing... most of the time you don't see them in staged shots - but I do wonder whether its because they don't last long

If you consider acoustics, the absence of a hatch would trigger very significant cavitation noises - even when submerged -
                              can it go fast enough submerged to cativate?

and there are no ports in the sail for water in the sail to drain out.
                              Uhm- two great big drain holes on the front of the sail floor level below the windows, plus the missing window.

quote]So if she surfaces without a hatch then the water will still be within the sail - and note the sail designs obs windows - its designed for people to be able to look out. a bit hard if its clogged full of water and you can't open the lower hatch to get out - let alone stand on the lower bridge to look out.[/QUOTE]

Probably drains pretty quick. Since there was no need for a deck gun, no need for instant topside access.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                can it go fast enough submerged to cativate?.
                                any "whooshing" lowers the chances of the AWO thinking that it's a biologic.... :)
                                Linkeden:

Comment

Working...
                                X