X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benghazi "key figure" captured

U.S. Captures Suspected Leader in 2012 Benghazi Attack
    June 17, 2014

U.S. special operations forces captured a Libyan militant who played a central role in the deadly attack on a U.S. outpost in Benghazi, Libya, in a secret raid near the city, U.S. officials said. Ahmed Abu Khatallah, a “key figure” in the September 2012 attack that killed four Americans, was seized on June 15 and is being held at a secure location outside the country, Rear Admiral John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said. He will be brought to the U.S. to stand trial, he said.
    Source

Kudos to whoever snatched this individual.
    sigpic

"Kudos to whoever snatched this individual."

Suppose I'd prefer "aggressively detained" but, yeah, it was a snatch n' run gig apparently pulled off quietly and well. Sure no local "safe house" of worth exists there these days.

We need to start trying these guys in Texas. For Murder 1.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

He is taking the scenic route on his way to the US aboard a US Navy warship and is being questioned but officials refused to say if he has been Mirandized. It is highly doubtful he will be held at Gitmo. I would speculate either New York or Virginia.
      sigpic

Comment

...and already there's a brewing political fight about where this guy should end up. good god.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
          ...and already there's a brewing political fight about where this guy should end up. good god.
          You expected better?
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The US government has stated that Ahmed Abu Khatallah will not be detained at Gitmo and will be tried in a federal court in Washington D.C.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
              "Kudos to whoever snatched this individual."

Suppose I'd prefer "aggressively detained" but, yeah, it was a snatch n' run gig apparently pulled off quietly and well. Sure no local "safe house" of worth exists there these days.

We need to start trying these guys in Texas. For Murder 1.
              Would prefer trial aboard ship. Why grant them any Rights when they step on land. Keep them at sea or in Cuba IMO.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

WaPo just released a shameful article about USS NY black out and possible time and place of docking when on the East coast.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Would prefer trial aboard ship. Why grant them any Rights when they step on land. Keep them at sea or in Cuba IMO.
                  Quick trial and my new favorite beverage. It's called a "Bin Ladin" and consists of two shots and a splash of water.*

I think I stole that joke from someone here - if so, my apologies but it is too funny to pass up.
                  "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

He is currently being held in a federal lockup in Washington D.C. and will probably be brought before a US Magistrate judge today.

This is a bit different. Almost all previous terrorism suspects have been tried in either New York City or Alexandria, Virginia
                    sigpic

Comment

Ahmed Abu Khatallah was arraigned before US Magistrate John Facciola at the E.Barrett Prettyman U.S. Courthouse in Washington yesterday. His court appointed public defender was Michelle Peterson. An interpreter translated for Khatallah. Asked if he understood the charges against him, Khatallah replied in the affirmative. He then plead not guilty to the charges which carry a maximum sentence of life in prison. The government says it plans to file additional charges. A detention hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.
                      sigpic

Comment

At one time I would have said a short drop from a high place, but there are fates worse then death.
                        Life imprisonment in a “super-max-facility.
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                        X