Whooping Cough Is Now a Full-Blown Epidemic in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

People have the right to risk their kids, not someone else's.
    I am not so sure on that.

There are things that everyone agrees parents should not be able to do to their children. Yet certain kinds of inaction can be more dangerous than certain kinds of action. The act of not doing something never registers with an act of doing something on equal terms even if the outcome is equivalent. This is a human mental bias that ignores results in favour of the nature of a cause. Not vaccinating your child for a disease that has a mortality rate that exceeds the very rare, or can cause serious long term physical disability, should be considered a form of child abuse, just like hitting a child in way that only has a low chance of causing mortality or long term physical damage is considered abuse.

That is if we are comfortable defining abuse not by the motivation of the person in a position of power, but to the risk of a child in a position of vulnerability.

The fact that this threatens other children strengthens the case, but I think the case is already a strong one.
    Last edited by tantalus; 07 Feb 15,, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      And that's precisely why I have trouble with making vaccines mandatory.

As a libertarian, we shouldn't need to make people do this or that. People have the right to be stupid. We have the right to NOT bail them out.

However, by them being stupid, they may affect other people who have not behaved as such, but now have to pay the same price for someone else's stupidity.

No, I do not have an answer to this dilemma.
      Another example of why libertarianism fails in the real world. Yes, I would also like the govt. not to jump in and tell me to do stuff, but some people are stupid and if they are not made to do some stuff, they end up hurting themselves and others.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

[QUOTE=Bigfella;987125]
        Originally posted by Wooglin View Post

.....and the examples continue.

Your concern for the reputations of the selfish & the stupid is touching. I'll save mine for the health of those who may suffer because are unable to be vaccinated or because the vaccination doesn't work. If you choose to put people at risk you should be prepared to warn them that they are at risk & wear the consequences if your behaviour causes harm. Its called 'responsibility'.
        No, it's called "persecution". Typical all bluster no brains internet blowhard response just spouting off without thinking it through.

Comment

Working...
        X