Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now you jave to wait till when exactly?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Guess who was dumb enough to stand in line for 2.5 hours at the Tesla store on March 31st?
      Oh, you can come up with a harder question than that...

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Now you jave to wait till when exactly?
        Elon says Model 3 should enter mass production by end of 2017. I'm on the west coast. I stood in line. I should get preferential treatment right after existing Tesla owners and before people who ordered online or in other markets. If everything goes smoothly, no delays before or during production, and Tesla can quickly ramp up to 50,000 units in the first year, then I might get mine by early 2019. If there are some delays and/or Tesla cannot quickly ramp up production, then I might get mine by mid 2020.

Supposedly those who order more expensive options will get theirs built before those who do not. I will have to see what kind of options are available. Rumor has it that a dual motor AWD option is an extra $4k. I can live with that.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Oh, you can come up with a harder question than that...
          What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?

Comment

What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?
            African or European swallow?

Comment

did you need to put down $1000 or something ahead of time?

the new Tesla is a beauty but I'm a bit surprised how long it'll take them to get this rolled out. Elon Musk has been "hinting" that this will be self-driving, but if the roll-out time is 2020, even the big carmakers like Ford are already promising self-driving cars by then.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

My work place just put up dozens of charge stations with complementary electricity off our our solar panel covered roof tops. The want is getting stronger.
                Last edited by citanon; 06 Apr 16,, 22:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  African or European swallow?
                  What? What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    did you need to put down $1000 or something ahead of time?

the new Tesla is a beauty but I'm a bit surprised how long it'll take them to get this rolled out. Elon Musk has been "hinting" that this will be self-driving, but if the roll-out time is 2020, even the big carmakers like Ford are already promising self-driving cars by then.
                    Yes, $1000 down per order. Each person is allowed up to 2 reservations.

I don't think we will have self drive cars any time soon. The technology is there, but no one trusts it enough to allow it to be fully autonomous. The closest we will come in the short term is smart cruise control and maybe self parking. The new Honda Civic already has smart cruise control which will maintain a safe following distance, speed up, slow down, and slam on the break if need to, plus lane tracking. But that doesn't mean the driver can read newspaper or take a nap. Periodic input is still necessary to make sure the driver is not completely gone.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                      My work place just put up dozens of charge stations with complementary electricity off our our solar panel covered roof tops. The want is getting stronger.
                      The want is for tax rebates, not actually a need in the market place.

Comment

I'm happy to take money from the liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                          I'm happy to take money from the liberals.
                          Remember, government does not make anything.

Comment

Remember, government does not make anything.
                            No, these subsidies are a pure transfer of wealth.

Comment

Yes, $1000 down per order. Each person is allowed up to 2 reservations.

I don't think we will have self drive cars any time soon. The technology is there, but no one trusts it enough to allow it to be fully autonomous. The closest we will come in the short term is smart cruise control and maybe self parking. The new Honda Civic already has smart cruise control which will maintain a safe following distance, speed up, slow down, and slam on the break if need to, plus lane tracking. But that doesn't mean the driver can read newspaper or take a nap. Periodic input is still necessary to make sure the driver is not completely gone.
                              Self driving vehicles could be a reality much sooner than you think.

A fleet of trucks just drove themselves across Europe

About a dozen trucks from major manufacturers like Volvo and Daimler just completed a week of largely autonomous driving across Europe, the first such major exercise on the continent.
                              The trucks set off from their bases in three European countries and completed their journeys in Rotterdam in the Netherlands today (Apr. 6). One set of trucks, made by the Volkswagen subsidiary Scania, traveled more than 2,000 km and crossed four borders to get there.
                              The trucks were taking part in the European Truck Platooning Challenge, organized by the Dutch government as one of the big events for its 2016 presidency of the European Union. While self-driving cars from Google or Ford get most of the credit for capturing the public imagination, commercial uses for autonomous or nearly autonomous vehicles, like tractors from John Deere, have been quietly putting the concept to work in a business setting.

When trucks autonomously follow one another, it’s called “platooning.” They’re connected by wifi and can leave a much smaller gap between vehicles than when humans are at the wheel. Platooning can reduce fuel use by up to 15%, prevent human error from causing accidents, and reduce congestion, according to a study by research firm TNO. It also can reduce expenses. Two trucks clocking 100,000 miles annually can save €6,000 on fuel by platooning, compared to driving on cruise control, according to TNO.

That’s why the Dutch set up the elaborate truck-driving event, to pull together everyone with a stake in getting self-driving trucks on the road. That includes transportation officials, truck makers, executives of companies with significant logistics needs (including Unilever and DHL), and academics and researchers.
                              “We now have huge energy in the network and the idea is that we will go to real-life cases. Companies like Unilever are planning to start these cases in 2017,” says Dirk-Jan de Bruijn, the platooning challenge’s program director.
                              If all goes to plan, self-driving trucks will pick up goods from the port of Rotterdam and deliver them across Europe in a trial by Unilever and other companies.
                              But the convoys must first successfully navigate Europe’s bureaucracies. Bruijn’s next goal is to get everyone to sign off on a roadmap for the next five years. This would address the technical problems, such as the inability for trucks from different brands to platoon together (they all use different wifi systems); as well as regulatory problems, like requiring platooning trucks to meet different standards in each European country.
                              “The challenge is of course not an end point, but a starting point. It’s a new kick-off,” Bruijn said.

Comment

The place I've been expecting autonomous vehicles to really take off is agriculture. Tractors and Combines should be more than capable of driving around 1000s of acres of fields, while the farmer tracks their progress from home, drinking a beer and watching the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X