Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bike?

Hi bikers of WAB,

Been discussing this with biker friends for some time now, as well as on biker forums I post on.

This is what I currently ride ..... a pretty crazy 200 cc single. Tops out at 140 kmph.

This is what I eventually want to ride ...... a cult super sport beating 690 cc single, only its a minimum 2 years away for us here. Tops out at 195+ kmph, but gets there crazy quick, and is a wheelie monster. :)

But while what I ride is a great little hooligan bike, and fantastic to dice in the twisties, it shows its limitations on the straights. Especially as I ride in groups where there are a lot of bigger much faster bikes, and keeping up till we hit the twisty bits is a pain. Once there, of course, it more balls than bike!

Basically I'm a little bored and want a change. But I dont want to wait 2 years either. I want it now! So I want a stop gap bike till bike No. 1 gets launched here. Don't want to break the bank either, as I would anyways lose money when I sell my current bike as well as when I sell my stop gap bike 2 years from now.

So will be buying a used clean low miles bike.

Now these are the two contenders. Both of the above are singles. Both of the below are twins. Both of the above are nakeds. Both of the below are faired sports bikes/sports tourers.

A 250 cc twin ...... the undefeated best in segment entry level sport bike.

And its 650 cc bigger brother ...... the perfect all-rounder sports tourer.

The 250 I can get putting hardly any money over and above what I get for my present bike. But its been discontinued, replaced by a 300. parts are hence more difficult to get. There are new competitors about to be launched in the market (a 390 cc single from KTM and a 250cc twin from Yamaha), which will drive the Kawasaki's resale down even further. Tops out at 165 kmph, but dead below 6000 rpm.

The 650 on the other hand will require me to put in at least twice as much extra over what I get for my current bike. But its a bigger bike, lot more power, does an indicated 210 kmph stock, and has decent low end torque and a wicked mid range. Plus there are no other competitors in this bracket there currently nor expected in the next two years, not at least in the same price band. So the resale should not crash as bad as for the 250. This 650 has been replaced by a newer version, but a lot of the parts are common as well.

But if I buy the 650 now, sinking in a lot of extra cash, I will feel pretty miserable when the 690 comes out. Because most foreign comparos and tests say the 690, even though its a tad slower at the top end, is a lot more exciting than the slightly "boring" 650. Plus the 690 would be nearly 40-50 kilos lighter than the 650 (which I did find a bit heavy and bulky the couple of times I got to ride one).

What do you guys suggest? Any experiences on either of these machines? Or the one I'm looking forward to? All inputs and advice would be greatly welcome and appreciated please!

P.S. My riding is mainly rides on the weekends (max 300-400 km round trips), once a year proper multi day (8-10 days) tour into the mountains (winters), with a few smaller 2-5 day rides also thrown in (mainly during the monsoons and winters). Typically around 10-odd thousand kilometers a year.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sated buddha; 11 Jun 14,, 08:06.

Nice bike for open roads, but it tends to heat up in city rides (in Mumbai atleast).
    I am not very happy with the sound. It looks good, but this is not for me.

I still own my old 100cc Splendor, that I bought when I was in the army. I dont think I can ever sell it.

I have been thinking of going in for a new bike and contemplating between the - Royal Enfield Classic (in Desert colour) vs The Continental GT vs the Harley Davidson Super Low.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

What?! No KTM?

For the Captain I can see what catches his eye, but you SB?

In general, as with everything else with tech in it, go with something that is topseller on your market. That way you will avoid headaches with spares and mechanics later.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
        Nice bike for open roads, but it tends to heat up in city rides (in Mumbai atleast).
        I am not very happy with the sound. It looks good, but this is not for me.
        Which one are you talking about here? All of the above are high strung motors which will heat in the city traffic. And I agree on the sound. The 650 actually sounds best from what I've heard (I did hear and see a 690 in the flesh once in Europe and once in the US - its basicaly a big 200).

I still own my old 100cc Splendor, that I bought when I was in the army. I dont think I can ever sell it.
        Unfortunately I sold my KB100 RTZ when I got married. Worst thing I did. I miss her.

I have been thinking of going in for a new bike and contemplating between the - Royal Enfield Classic (in Desert colour) vs The Continental GT vs the Harley Davidson Super Low.
        A fauji must have a Bullet! Have you thought about the Thunderbird 500? Really nice and refined bike. Munches miles beautifully. Good lights too (projectors). Of the ones you like, the Continental is a cafe racer. Not very practical, unles your back is still strong and you dont mind riding all over with your ass in the air! LOL But its a neat bike (the yellow one I love). The Desert Storm is ok. I used to have a maroon Classic 500. Did not like it much frankly. Give me an old iron Bullet any day.

I'm not a Harley guy. But yes the Super Low is good. Better that the Sportster. I would also suggest the Street, but its small (and I don't know how tall you are) and it does not sound like a Harley. But its got a good peppy (by Harley standards) motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          What?! No KTM?

For the Captain I can see what catches his eye, but you SB?

In general, as with everything else with tech in it, go with something that is topseller on your market. That way you will avoid headaches with spares and mechanics later.
          The first two are both KTMs. The next two are Kawasakis. Both sold and serviced and supported by the same company. Bajaj. Which actually owns KTM.

None of these 4 will ever be topsellers. The motorcycle market in India is not a mature one, though its getting there. The majority are still commuter bikes which give very good mileage and are used by people to ride to office and back.

Recreational biking and performanc bikes are a very very small minority. The numbers are nowhere close. Thousands versus hundreds of thousands (even millions for some models/manufacturers).
          Last edited by sated buddha; 11 Jun 14,, 10:01.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            The first two are both KTMs. The next two are Kawasakis. Both sold and serviced and supported by the same company. Bajaj. Which actually owns KTM.

None of these 4 will ever be topsellers. The motorcycle market in India is not a mature one, though its getting there. The majority are still commuter bikes which give very god mileage and are used by people to ride to office and back.

Recreational biking and performanc bikes are a very very small minority. The numbers are nowhere close. Thousands versus hundreds of thousands (even millions for some models/manufacturers).
            I was having Enduro line in mind.

Gues the roads got better ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I was having Enduro line in mind.

Gues the roads got better ;)
              No they are as miserable as they have always been.

This is what they did to my front rim just a couple of weeks ago, when I hit a pothole on a ride late at night with some friends .....

Attached Files

Comment

Which one are you talking about here?
                I was mentioning the KTMs.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                  I was mentioning the KTMs.
                  I have a 200, and the heat is very manageable. Enough to ride in shorts and floaters to go get milk and eggs if you want to. I was part of a team of riders that did the pre-launch field testing of the 390. Now that bike generates some serious heat.

Comment

Btw, LT, if you're looking at Harley-esque price point, then I would very seriously recommend this bike to you ...... WAYYYYY better.

And its British too. ;)

Your's for 7.5 lacs only (less than or near about the same as the Super Low, and will run rings around the Super Low).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Triumph vs Harley.

This SB's way of revenge.

Comment

Triumph vs Harley.

This SB's way of revenge.
                        This is again into unchartered political territory. I have both American as well as British friends. But I'm solidly mainland Europe in my taste for cars and bikes. Nothing against the Japanese of course.
                        Last edited by sated buddha; 11 Jun 14,, 13:43.

Comment

You got it all wrong.

Comment

You got it all wrong.
                            You are way too cryptic for me as usual then. :)

Revenge, Triumph, Harley, LT, me (SB)?????

A game of clues maybe ..... ? Damn, you retook the No. 1 spot again!

Comment

You are way too cryptic for me as usual then. :)

Revenge, Triumph, Harley, LT, me (SB)?????

A game of clues maybe ..... ? Damn, you retook the No. 1 spot again!
                              It's not fair to put a biker into a dilemma to pick between a Triumph and a Harley. Not because one is British and the other is American, but because it's like showing a kid 2 of her favorite chocs and ask her to pick only 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X