Islamist Militants Take Mosul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
    I see, makes sense I guess. What would be the long term solution to ensure this doesn't just keep on happening?
    Iraq is getting divided into 3 autonomous regions. Baghdad has screwed up too many times to make anything else work now. Best they can hope for is to make that confederation work nicely and to suppress the extremists.

Comment

Relax ladies and gents,some folks who know what they're doing are on the ground.My guess this is only a vanguard. Iran Deploys Forces to Fight Militants in Iraq - WSJ
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        We should make sure they get all overwhelming fire support they need.
        Why?

We were there for over 10 years and they couldn't unf*ck themselves.

The military broke without a fight. If they don't have the will to spill blood in defense of their country then why should we?

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
          I see, makes sense I guess. What would be the long term solution to ensure this doesn't just keep on happening?
          Bomb the population back into the stone age and turn the land into a parking lot. Thats the only way to stop it. No country has the will to do it. Its going to keep happening

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Why?

We were there for over 10 years and they couldn't unf*ck themselves.

The military broke without a fight. If they don't have the will to spill blood in defense of their country then why should we?
            We're not defending their country. At this point we are defending ours.

Also the Kurds are spilling their blood to defend their "country", and it is actually worth defending. Kurdish north is in perfectly good shape. Good security, good economy. We should do what we can at low cost to make sure it stays that way while we figure out some way of sorting out the situation down south. Otherwise we'll eventually get stuck with the high cost of unf*cking the situation when it gets even worse than now... AND IT WILL. ISIL will never be contained in just Iraq. They will get stronger. Their intentions for governance are clearly shown by the appointment of local figures to head provisional governing bodies. This is not the Al Qaeda of old. If we wait, we will only have a stronger enemy. One that is spreading from Iraq into Saudi Arabia.
            Last edited by citanon; 13 Jun 14,, 07:03.

Comment

Great.You are from America and you're trying to help.What do you propose that is of use?ISR it's already done.The rest is pointless.

Btw,why the hell do you bother?The Iraqi government,starting with Maliki was negociated with Iran.Of course,few Americans would shout this in public,but that's a fact.Since any policy need to start from facts,why not let the Iranians carry the burden?
              MAliki managed to fvck things up.But on a smaller scale,this just a regular worsening of the Shia-sunni divide.Which has periods of calming down and periods when they pick heat.
              Third,one vulnerability of the islamists is that their revolution needs to to be victorious in several countries simultaneously.They can wreak havoc in one country at a time.Irak is in many ways the worst country for them to pick a sectarian war.
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Like the Taliban in Afghanistan, Sunni lslamists in Mosul are already ordering all women to stay indoors. The ISIS seeks an Islamist caliphate arc that includes portions of Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon. Fighting and/or destabilization efforts are occurring in each of these countries.This radical movement is financed primarily by the Saudi's and the Gulf States.
                sigpic

Comment

Baghdad Residents Call for Kurdish Help to Stop Islamist Advance

Amid turmoil, Iraq’s Kurdish region is laying foundation for independent state
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    Great.You are from America and you're trying to help.
                    If you mean help ourselves yes.

What do you propose that is of use?ISR it's already done.The rest is pointless.
                    Why of course. Not a single thing we can do besides ISR. Not one.

Btw,why the hell do you bother?The Iraqi government,starting with Maliki was negociated with Iran.Of course,few Americans would shout this in public,but that's a fact.Since any policy need to start from facts,why not let the Iranians carry the burden?
                    Carry the burden for what? Expanding their presence in Shia Iraq while laughing their asses off as chaos spreads through Sunni regions?

MAliki managed to fvck things up.But on a smaller scale,this just a regular worsening of the Shia-sunni divide.Which has periods of calming down and periods when they pick heat.
                    Third,one vulnerability of the islamists is that their revolution needs to to be victorious in several countries simultaneously.They can wreak havoc in one country at a time.Irak is in many ways the worst country for them to pick a sectarian war.
                    If status quo is allowed to stand they have already won.

Comment

what did i say about the Kurdish State to be founding?
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

ISIL is pulling its elements back from Syria to Iraq.

i think that they saw the opportunity.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Several reports claim Saudi funds for these fellas. I am mighty curious on how the Saudis feel for giving Assad a break.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                            If you mean help ourselves yes.

Why of course. Not a single thing we can do besides ISR. Not one.

Carry the burden for what? Expanding their presence in Shia Iraq while laughing their asses off as chaos spreads through Sunni regions?

If status quo is allowed to stand they have already won.
                            Help yourself how?
                            I'm not ironic.I don't see what you could do that is quick and effective.

As for the status quo,you did all you could in the last years to help those fvckers.If you want them to lose,how about start doing absolutely nothing.Those willing to fight the extremists know what they have to do.They may not look nice in polite society,but that's another thing.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why the current regime falling/ISIS taking over/Iran intervening is categorically a threat to US interests.

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                                Can someone explain to me why the current regime falling/ISIS taking over/Iran intervening is categorically a threat to US interests.
                                Whatever US did there for 10 years falls apart.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X