Interservice ranking of Fighter Pilot skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interservice ranking of Fighter Pilot skill

The people who check SDF know I just got chewed out for accusing Marine aviators of being below par compared to their Air Force and Navy counterparts, but between the three American aviation services, who has the best pilots? What's the difference in pilot quality?

Originally posted by Inst View Post
    The people who check SDF know I just got chewed out for accusing Marine aviators of being below par compared to their Air Force and Navy counterparts, but between the three American aviation services, who has the best pilots? What's the difference in pilot quality?
    I know I'll get hammered by Chogy & Jimmy for this one but, IMHO, it's probably a toss-up between the Marines and the Navy, with the nod going to Naval pilots; the Marines are soldiers first and aviators second, but they don't have to bring a 50,000 lbs. plane down on a heaving, tossing carrier deck in the middle of the night with no lights and zero visibility without killing themselves and the guys on the deck. The advantage the Marines have is that their a/c are all VSTOL, so they're not slamming onto an unforgiving carrier deck at 150 knots + (more like 15 knots).

Air Force pilots probably have it the easiest; their runways aren't moving around while they're trying to land on it, and the weather is (usually) pretty decent where they are.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
      I know I'll get hammered by Chogy & Jimmy for this one but, IMHO, it's probably a toss-up between the Marines and the Navy, with the nod going to Naval pilots; the Marines are soldiers first and aviators second, but they don't have to bring a 50,000 lbs. plane down on a heaving, tossing carrier deck in the middle of the night with no lights and zero visibility without killing themselves and the guys on the deck. The advantage the Marines have is that their a/c are all VSTOL, so they're not slamming onto an unforgiving carrier deck at 150 knots + (more like 15 knots).

Air Force pilots probably have it the easiest; their runways aren't moving around while they're trying to land on it, and the weather is (usually) pretty decent where they are.
      I would put Navy and Marine pilots on the same level. Marines do fly other planes than the AV-8. They are fully integrated in the naval airwing system. Marine squadrons deploy aboard aircraft carriers alongside the Navy. We fly F-18s, EA-6s in addition to the Harriers. Marines will fly both the F-32 B and C once those reach the fleet.

As for my opinion on who has the most skill. The answer is "It depends".

Each service brings strengths to the table. Along with different platforms that have their own strengths.
      Last edited by Gun Grape; 04 Jun 14,, 23:52.

Comment

Fighter pilots need such a variety of different skills, IMO it's impossible to say who is "best".

The marines have the best harrier pilots, the naval aviators and marine officers on big deck carriers are the best f-18 pilots, air force jocks are the best f-16, eagle, and raptor drivers etc.
        It is difficult to land on a pitching deck at night, but how do you compare the guy who can land in 10 ft seas on a moonless night vs the crazy wild weasle pilot who dodges 4 Sam's to bomb an AA site, to the eagle driver who sits up at 50000 ft with his buddies binning and tracking everybody down with his big radar and amraams?

Comment

Ouch!

Reading this post is painful to the eyes.

First of all, the Army's an aviation service, too! (and maybe the Coast Guard as well, depends on how it is being counted here). True, they aren't jet combat pilots, but they are still an aviation service.

Secondly, NEVER make the mistake of calling a Marine a soldier. They are Marines first and aviators second, but they are never soldiers.

Comment

Simple from this grunts perspective....whichever keeps enemy aircraft off my ass and provides the best CAS!
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Simple from this grunts perspective....whichever keeps enemy aircraft off my ass and provides the best CAS!
              What's with all those joints now? Joint command, joint striker, joint this, that...

Guess now you have more to come to your aid today, then 30 years ago.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

My joints ache...
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  My joints ache...
                  *runs*

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    *runs*
                    After you throw a pie in his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      After you throw a pie in his face.
                      A juicy one of course

Comment

Working...
                      X