Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the inside of a synapse looks like with all the proteins

Science Magazine: Sign In

Synaptic vesicle recycling has long served as a model for the general mechanisms of cellular trafficking. We used an integrative approach, combining quantitative immunoblotting and mass spectrometry to determine protein numbers; electron microscopy to measure organelle numbers, sizes, and positions; and super-resolution fluorescence microscopy to localize the proteins. Using these data, we generated a three-dimensional model of an “average” synapse, displaying 300,000 proteins in atomic detail. The copy numbers of proteins involved in the same step of synaptic vesicle recycling correlated closely. In contrast, copy numbers varied over more than three orders of magnitude between steps, from about 150 copies for the endosomal fusion proteins to more than 20,000 for the exocytotic ones.
    Attached Files

The most difficult task my synapses and their proteins attempted today was to admire themselves with appropriate magnitude.

Excellent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
      The most difficult task my synapses and their proteins attempted today was to admire themselves with appropriate magnitude.

Excellent stuff.
      This work is what one would call, a "tour de force".

I think about and work with biological systems all the time and I was still blown away.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        This work is what one would call, a "tour de force".

I think about and work with biological systems all the time and I was still blown away.
        Microbiology was my focus in college. 15 years later and I still miss it. I know exactly how you feel.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I'm still trying to sort it out. All I know is mild brain injuries result in damage to the axonal microtubules and an excess amount of app beta amlyoid and tau proteins coats the neurons to try to repair it. When additional insult to the brain occurs before the levels of these proteins decrease they start to cause more of these proteins to be produced and they cause other proteins to be misformed and reproduce. I believe it is called a prion infection, but microbiology isn't my subject. Just had it all thrown at me during a brain injury lecture. It's why they say you have to have cognitive rest after a possible brain injury- an injury during this period when these proteins and related chemicals are increased in the brain can result in second impact syndrome, rapid brain swelling and possible death.

Comment

Working...
          X