Why Veterans Miss War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Veterans Miss War

Sebastian Junger on why veterans miss war: https://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_...erans_miss_war.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    Sebastian Junger on why veterans miss war: https://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_...erans_miss_war.
    Interesting.

Now how can I say this without causing offense.

Well, let me just ask. For those who do war in the air, on the sea, under the sea, is it the same?

Comment

Brothers in arms sums up the understanding among-st soldiers , and by all that's mighty its the thing I miss most , good post , very well explained . Civilians if they read it will have a better insight and understanding maybe about PTSD , combat stress , the long lasting depression etc etc , Tamara the naval forces will be the same as is the fly boys , all part of larger units who all jell to make the unit work .All bros in arms , trained intensively for a job , then taken away after the gigs been done , I for one at times am still there , my only true friends are all ex military , most civilians cant or dont understand us , strange but I have a shortish fuse when it comes to civilian acquaintances who's thinking is not of the way the trained military mind is , frustrating at times ,are any other ex mil on WAB have the same experiences ??
      Last edited by tankie; 25 May 14,, 08:12.

Comment

I read Sebastian Junger's book on the Korengal in 2003. It is first rate journalism and I am convinced that it will be read and quoted by historians for many generations to come.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
          ........I for one at times am still there , my only true friends are all ex military , most civilians cant or dont understand us , strange but I have a shortish fuse when it comes to civilian acquaintances who's thinking is not of the way the trained military mind is , frustrating at times ,are any other ex mil on WAB have the same experiences ??
          Maybe, sort of, I don't know.

In reverse order, I tend not to talk to non police people about police matters for two reasons. The latter is one of security, such as when it comes down to the tactics, the lines of thought that are currently used. The former is because people who don't deal with criminals tend not to understand what a criminal is. All their grand notions of what would dissuade them from committing a criminal act seem to be perfect......but then again, they aren't a criminal.

But I tend neither talk much about my military background nor associate with those I knew once. As to the latter, it is often a factor is that we are just too separated, too far apart to even try. But there is also a point that how we each remember the past may be quite different between us and to come together and discuss it may wreck our "pleasant memories", whatever we may have had of them.

I don't go to my TAMU Corps of Cadets reunions either. I am not interested in being around people who 25ish years after the fact, are still playing Corps.

Plus, there is another factor. When I started doing security work, I started learning, behaving in ways to hide that I was Navy. Back then, it was just walking so I did not look like I was marching. But that personal philosophy has continued in place over the years, sometimes intentionally, often times unintentionally. I think many assume that I'm a cop, they often react to me as if I was one........but often, many are surprised to find out that I'm a Vet.

Of course, two major items. First of all, I was never in combat, a peace time officer in places where I could have been hurt, potentially shot at, but never in a place where people were actively shooting. Secondly, I have always been the outsider. I do my job but I seek others who are not part of that world. It may have been because of that aspect of why I started to shine when I got into security/intel work.

If I were to say that i miss anything of back then, it was the clarity of what we were doing, how we were doing it..................but that's a false memory. Even back then, there were those around, contemporaries and superiors, who could not see the purpose behind it, perhaps even ridiculed us for being vigilant for where we were.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy to see that such a thing exists. When my father was old and frail and dying and people came to visit, it would give him joy to talk of old times and friends.

But I believe it is incorrect to assume that all Vets are like that or to assume that it is the only, correct way.

Comment

Working...
          X