2017 and the End of Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    No she is not automatically entitled to US citizenship. She can apply to emigrate on a marriage visa. That does not give her citizenship, that gets her a "green card".

The children may, or may not be US Citizens. The father is a naturalized citizen. Acquired citizenship in 2005. Travels back and forth to Sudan. For the child to have "Birthright citizenship, the father must have been physically present for 5 years in the US. His time in Sudan does not count. Also The U.S. citizen parent must be the genetic or the gestational parent and the legal parent of the child under local law at the time and place of the child’s birth to transmit U.S. citizenship.

It sounds like he did not previously register the marriage, nor the birth of his first son with the US Embassy. Now they want proof.

This from the Dailymail

As for not seeing this reported on anything but "right wing crazy sites", I read about it on CNN.

U.S. to Sudan: release Christian woman – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

It was also reported at CBS

Senators try to save pregnant woman sentenced to death in Sudan - CBS News

And on the TV news ABC.CBS,NBC,CNN, MSNBC. Yep all the right wing crazy places:whome:;)
    Cool, she can die then knowing a religious blog and one report on CNN have reported her fate, plus you've seen it on TV somewhere. :whome:;)
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      And if you actually google Meriam Ibrahim you will see her husband, the father, fits all the criteria. As do the children. As does Miriam.
      She and the children apparently are not US citizens. WHy the US should be the only ones voicing her release? There are sever countries with the cross on their flags who could at least pretend they care.

The only criteria they don't fit is the democrat narrative, therefor the story remains untold within the US, the point of the original OP and this particular example.
      Point well taken and agreed in the first reply.

I have plenty more, would you like a list?
      Sure, since it is in line with the OP.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Cool, she can die then knowing a religious blog and one report on CNN have reported her fate, plus you've seen it on TV somewhere. :whome:;)
        No, Its been on all the news stations. And their web sites. Sorry it doesn't fit your notion of "Uninformed Americans and their leftest news"

And if you actually google Meriam Ibrahim you will see her husband, the father, fits all the criteria. As do the children. As does Miriam.
        Do you know for a fact that the family all meet the criteria for US citizenship? Or you using Google as your definitive source?

If it was "Marry an American citizen and you automatically become one yourself, as do any children" my, foreign national wife of 23 years would have become a US citizen 23 years ago. And we were married in the US.

Its not that simple. And just a quick look at the story leads doubt to her claim of citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post

Sure, since it is in line with the OP.
          This is current so we don't need to play 'who said what when'. To be fair, the daily Kos ran it a day after everyone else
          New O’Keefe video “punks” Hollywood enviros « Hot Air

Leibniz

Comment

No, Its been on all the news stations. And their web sites. Sorry it doesn't fit your notion of "Uninformed Americans and their leftest news"
            Thing is a lost airplane and kidnapped girls in Nigeria gets more coverage. It could have been reported, but I guess more hoopla was given about how the sun is hot or that it will rain tomorrow. It's all up to the editors and if they think the story is relevant and interesting, all in line with their other (political) agenda. The last part is only a speculation of course.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

cool, let's see them! other than the two you found, three days after world press (and Fox News) filed their first reports post conviction.

Do you know for a fact that the family all meet the criteria for US citizenship? Or you using Google as your definitive source?

If it was "Marry an American citizen and you automatically become one yourself, as do any children" my, foreign national wife of 23 years would have become a US citizen 23 years ago. And we were married in the US.

Its not that simple. And just a quick look at the story leads doubt to her claim of citizenship.
              Right so. They were married in 2011. The boy is 2. The other child is unborn. Her husband is American. Well, I suppose she's a slut and had the kids to other fathers after she married him. Nice.

Is your wife allowed to live in the US with you?

Leibniz

Comment

cool, let's see them! other than the two you found, three days after world press (and Fox News) filed their first reports post conviction.
                Its just a google inquiry away. See for yourself.

Right so. They were married in 2011. The boy is 2. The other child is unborn. Her husband is American. Well, I suppose she's a slut and had the kids to other fathers after she married him. Nice.
                Or you have no clue as to what it takes for her to become an American citizen.

Lets throw out some facts here.

The Husband was Naturalized in 2005. Still owns businesses and a home in Sudan. Makes frequent trips there. This according to the daily mail article.
                Married his wife , in Sudan, in 2011.
                Just recently went to the US Embassy to try to get her out. That is when he produced the wedding certificate and the birth certificate for his 20 month old son.

So from 2011 till the present time, he neither registered his marriage with the US Embassy. Nor did he apply for immigration status for his wife. She does not become a US citizen on the spot, just because she marries an American.

20 months ago, he didn't register the birth of his son with the US Embassy. Nothing happens till there is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. That starts the process of determining if the child is a US citizen.

If the child is a citizen, then the US will issue a Passport and Social Security number.

When the Father is the American citizen of a child born overseas, and the father is Naturalized, there are certain conditions that must be met for the child to have US citizenship.

One of the most important is that the Father must have resided in the US for 5 years prior to the birth.

Thats easy you say, He was naturalized in sometime in 2005 and the baby was born around Sept of 2012. That is 6-7 years, kid is in there. No brainer.

Not so fast, those 5 years don't have to be continuous but any time spent outside of the US doesn't count. So in those 6-7 years prior to the birth of his son, how much time did he spend in Sudan tending to his businesses and living on his ranch? Does he have enough time in the US to meet the 5 year residency requirement? So the childs "birthright citizenship" claim is not a sure thing.

Did he maintain his "Principal residence" in the US? He lived at his brothers home in the US but owned a home in Sudan. Which one would be considered a "Principal Residence"?

Next the wife. They got married, in Sudan in 2011. But they did not register the marriage with the Embassy. No paperwork has been started to get her conditional permanent resident status, or allow her in the States with a marriage visa.

Does she meet the criteria for a marriage visa and immigrant alien status based on that marriage?

Well according to the law the they have got to have a valid marriage under local law for any of that pesky immigration stuff to start happening.

What was she in jail for? Oh yea, adultery. Why? Not because of those nasty things you accused her of doing, But because the Laws of her country do not allow a marriage between a Muslim woman and a Christian man.

They did not get married in the US Embassy and the marriage they had was against the laws of the host country. Things are not looking good here.

Maybe that why New Hampshire's Senator asked the State Dept to grant her Political Asylum. Doesn't look like she qualifies for other types of immigration status.

Yes she is. But then again, I went through the proper steps. As did she. Not a citizen from the day we were married. She had to spend a few years as a Immigrant Alien. Then as a Resident Alien. Now she is a Permanent Alien.

And we were married in the States. She was here on a student Visa

And it seems that while Sudan has sentenced people to death for apostasy. They haven't actually executed anyone for it in over 20 years.
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 24 May 14,, 19:02.

Comment

I knew about this more than 3 days ago but couldn't tell you where I read it.

I think Gun Grape has now given you a very good crash course in how US citizenship works. My wife was also a foreign national when she came over on a fiance visa. There were about 12 months of prior paperwork on my part, then more when she got in when the 3 months of the fiance visa were up, and then the application process for green card, next permanent residency before the final application for US citizenship.

Comment

Sounds easier to just smuggle your wife and wait for some liberal to legalize their status.

Being nasty here a bit, but the procedure seems too complicated to be done via proper channels all the while you have many illegal immigrants reaping from the system bugs.

Comment

See this is where the term liberal is used far too often as a description. I consider myself to be far more often liberal than conservative.

Having said that if you are an illegal alien then you should have filed the application papers and paid the fees I did or... Get Out!

Same would go for the death penalty. Murder someone then forfeit your life and whether it is humane or not doesn't concern me
                      anymore than it concerned you when you killed someone. Firing squad is quicker.

But I am still a liberal and all those self poll sites on the web say so.

Comment

It's a broad brush, the liberal term, but couldn't think for a better one in the moment. Still can't. Sorry if it offended you.

Comment

Sounds easier to just smuggle your wife and wait for some liberal to legalize their status.
                          You mean like the last President to grant amnesty to illegals?

That Liberal Icon, President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Comment

You mean like the last President to grant amnesty to illegals?

That Liberal Icon, President Ronald Wilson Reagan
                            Shush... he supported unions ;)

Comment

Yes, because this thread is all about immigration and how badly previous presidents have done. Um wait.......

Still, it only took seven hours to get the info, and we now know it's all about Reagan.

Nothing to see here, moveon........

Leibniz

Comment

It's a broad brush, the liberal term, but couldn't think for a better one in the moment. Still can't. Sorry if it offended you.
                                Not offended but you are right it is a broad brush. Of course, you didn't originate it but have fallen into the trap of using it nonetheless, which is the intent of it to begin with. One would think that as time advances and the world becomes a little more modern we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of containerization and demonizing. Yet it seems far far worse today that several decades ago. I feel that the media of today really makes it easier to do this than in the past. Paint the other side, and there is only one other side, black and imply you are white. Naturally the other side does the same thing and there you have it as in Yankees vs. Red Sox completely forgetting there are many other teams/shades of grey out there you have to play or talk to.

Demonizing the Other Side | A Word for the Week

Now as to this women she clearly is not an American citizen just like my wife wasn't when she married me a natural born citizen. I am incensed that a country, in this day and age, could even contemplate executing someone because of their religious belief. Shades of the dark ages where one religion seems to be in a pell mell rush back to it. However, I am not prepared to make an exception to how we determine US citizenship. Once such an exemption is made then the gates open for others to say the exemption applies to them. Given that, all any nation can do, is exert as much worldwide condemnation as possible not that a country, like Sudan, even cares.

Now a liberal may say someone should use force of arms to get her. Well I am not on board with that. The world is a bad place in many locations and frankly I have to say I put a large amount of fault on the husband for not protecting his wife in a country where he knows how they think. He should have preempted this by getting her out when he had the time before the authorities found out.

Comment

Working...
                                X