Serbia needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serbia needs help

Since Versus probably can't post this...

As you have probably heard Serbia was hit by the largest flood in the last 120 years. Thousands of kids are homeless, without food, water, warm and dry clothes. Unfortunately, the situation is not getting any better... anyone who wants to help, the official bank accounts of Serbian Red Cross can be found below, feel free to share them with your friends and be sure Serbs won't forget it.

The same instructions can be found on the Red Cross Website ???????? / ?????? ???? ??????

In case you prefer PayPal, you can do it through Novak Djokovic Foundation
    Attached Files
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Thank you Doktor. All donations - no matter the size - will be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Comment

It ain't over yet, Doc. Bosnia too is hit hard just as us.
      The cyclone "Tamara" seems to be moving north west-ish however there are two new systems coming, one from the Atlantic and one from the Equator moving almost parallel with each other. If "Tamara" or whats left of it looses energy we will be safe but if it doesn't, there is a good chance that it will suck both of them and gain the energy again. So far the IR satellite data doesn't look good. Currently there are two spots that are super critical, both of them are located near power plants and all efforts are put to secure those two sites. Other than that chemical facilities are also in danger, one of them was secured (however recent reports say that the water has breached the defense) while the other one was evacuated 100% at 4 pm today. However if those two power plants fail, there is a good chance that the grid will fail. The level of damage is enormous. Two of our largest rivers, Sava and Danube are rising rapidly forcing evacuations all over the place.
      I was at my aunt funeral when it hit. Since the village is close to Bosnian border, we saw clouds at the horizon that were pitch black, I mean it look like Mordor or something. We left the village at 3 pm and at 6 pm the village was cut off from the rest of the world. Everything is destroyed, roads, bridges and the nearest city is completely under water. Literary every stream no matter how small, turned into a monstrosity in just two hours.
      Floods are also triggering massive landslides everywhere. Also, since the rain was so massive (the amount that fell in last two days is equal to 4 months under normal conditions) people didn't had the time to secure the livestock so lots of animals drowned. The weather report says that next week we can expect +30 degrees (although I don't see how that is possible with these two fronts massing, but I am not the weatherman) the risk of an epidemic is almost certain.
      For now my family and me are safe. I will track the development and post the news.
      Last edited by Versus; 17 May 14,, 20:40.

Comment

Stay safe, buddy.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Stay safe, buddy.
          The most ironic thing in this whole mess is that it is getting increasingly political and I find that to be super bizarre.

Comment

Meet Tamara
            http://robertscribbler.files.wordpre...pg?w=600&h=496

Comment

Our Government already sent 75 people, a helicopter, boats, blankets, power generators, water pumps...

Companies from here sent bottled water, canned food, hygienic stuff (soaps and diapers mostly) and milk in powder.

Today, at the main square in Skopje people were donating, too.

150 volunteers are already in Serbia, too.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Doktor; 18 May 14,, 14:19.

Comment

Based on lots of experience, the best thing individuals can do is send cash. Almost everything relief efforts need can be sourced locally, or bought and brought in cheaper in bulk.

Versus- stay safe bro.

How many swiftwater teams do Serbia ad Bosnia have?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Based on lots of experience, the best thing individuals can do is send cash. Almost everything relief efforts need can be sourced locally, or bought and brought in cheaper in bulk.

Versus- stay safe bro.

How many swiftwater teams do Serbia ad Bosnia have?
                  Well, I don't know the exact number but judging from the teams that arrived from Macedonia,Montenegro and Slovenia, apparently not enough. Things are ok for now, it is sunny and the rainfall has ceased. Reports say that the water has started to retreat allowing trucks to be deployed in the rescue effort. The defense around power plants was able to withstand the night so for now, electricity generation is safe. However the mines that supply the power plants with coal have been flooded and the excavation was halted. There is a 15 days reserve at the plant area so there is a good chance that we will have blackouts. Unfortunately, the reason why the plants survived was that in Croatia, our largest river, Sava has breached the dam so now Croats are in trouble too. Another problem is that, according to the news in Vienna, the Danube flow peaked, topping 11.400 cubic meters per second and its rushing towards us as we speak. Some comfort can be the fact that the Danube is wider in Serbia and that can help, but still we are not out of the woods yet.
                  However the main problem is the system, that is currently over the Mediterranean sea. Met Office: Europe: Infrared satellite imagery
                  Today, in the city of Obrenovac, which was hardest hit, 12 bodies have been recovered and there are fears that the more people has lost lives in the floods than previously anticipated.
                  We will see, next week will be crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                    Well, I don't know the exact number but judging from the teams that arrived from Macedonia,Montenegro and Slovenia, apparently not enough.
                    Its pretty intense training and very dangerous. I'm rated at technician level in swift water rescue and I am part of the counties water response team.

Things are ok for now, it is sunny and the rainfall has ceased. Reports say that the water has started to retreat allowing trucks to be deployed in the rescue effort. The defense around power plants was able to withstand the night so for now, electricity generation is safe. However the mines that supply the power plants with coal have been flooded and the excavation was halted. There is a 15 days reserve at the plant area so there is a good chance that we will have blackouts. Unfortunately, the reason why the plants survived was that in Croatia, our largest river, Sava has breached the dam so now Croats are in trouble too. Another problem is that, according to the news in Vienna, the Danube flow peaked, topping 11.400 cubic meters per second and its rushing towards us as we speak. Some comfort can be the fact that the Danube is wider in Serbia and that can help, but still we are not out of the woods yet.
                    Fingers crossed for you, I grew up with annual flooding.

However the main problem is the system, that is currently over the Mediterranean sea. Met Office: Europe: Infrared satellite imagery
                    Today, in the city of Obrenovac, which was hardest hit, 12 bodies have been recovered and there are fears that the more people has lost lives in the floods than previously anticipated.
                    We will see, next week will be crucial.
                    I hope Serbia and the rest of the Balkans catches a break.

Comment

Israel is sending 1.5 million tons of medical and humanitarian supplies to Serbia.

Israel extends hand to flood-ravaged Serbia and Bosnia | JPost | Israel News
                      sigpic

Comment

Main problem is that, well, cyclones or depressions such as this one, shouldn't form on the land, they usually form at sea. However, I've noticed something (since 2006 I am a sort of a weather junky and the metoffice provides infinite supply of images). There is a stream of air, the high pressure one, that appears around this time of year and lasts till Fall that somehow blocks the normal flow of air from west to east, since it flows from equator to northern pole. I didn't follow the formation of this event as I was too busy with work and my, now late, aunt but it appears that it is responsible for this disaster. Also last year, it appeared again, leading to heat waves and drought. If you play the animation from the met office web site, you can see it, it acts as an invisible wall and preventing the flow to the east.
                        We had a similar event, in 2010 and at that time I envisioned this concept aircraft, that can land on water and serve as a areal fire suppression aircraft but as well as a rescue craft. With few modifications to the design, I think that it would come quite handy these days...Dreams.

The thing that goes on my nerves is that this whole situation is used for political fights and I can't find words that would describe how disgusting that is to me. Freaking politics always finds its way into anything...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Versus; 18 May 14,, 18:40.

Comment

We had a second collection at our Mass this morning at our Church. It was founded 110 years ago by Czech and Serbian immigrants. My family is one of the rare names which is Anglo in nature as opposed to Slavic or Hispanic in heritage in our parish.

Hope it finds its way there and all are safe.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Things are quieting down, the high pressure front has cleared the skies and divert the system from the south in another direction. This should give some relief to the rescue effort. Now the biggest threat is the Danube and the flood wave that is coming, it should be here in a day or two. The first damage assessment is scheduled for Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                              Things are quieting down, the high pressure front has cleared the skies and divert the system from the south in another direction. This should give some relief to the rescue effort. Now the biggest threat is the Danube and the flood wave that is coming, it should be here in a day or two. The first damage assessment is scheduled for Wednesday.
                              Where is your PM landing this time? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X