• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very impressive

Rusty , got your book a week ago, damn I cant put it down
    well the only time I did my girlfriend started reading it ,
    I told her to get her own copy!!!!

Very well written,wish I picked it up sooner
    & now I really think the iowas are fit for continued service 2 THUMBS UP :)
    Last edited by blackzz28; 17 May 14,, 12:48.

I really need to get a copy of this book!
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it (and any reviews you can give it on Amazon).

There are some printing errors however in Appendix A. I kick myself for not reviewing the proof copy more. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see past the errors. Simply put, one set of errors on some of the pages the column for the dry-docking date should have been shifted one space to the left. It leaves off the last digit of the year the ship was dry docked. But the next column, which is the undocking date, helps you figure out the correction. Then there are some other pages (also Appendix A) that leaves off the second digit of a ship's hull number. But that's no biggie either, especially with you guys.

Some people have asked if I plan to put out a 2nd edition with the corrected Appendix A columns and a few photos cleared up in higher drinition and/or enlarged. Well, it took me 10 years to put that book together and verify all the data in it and just as soon as I think it was ready to send to the publisher a friend would come up with some better photos or another item that I thought was important such as Appenix H.

But a lot of my time is now spent elsewhere. I'm an officer (and past commander) of an American Legion Post, I'm on the Long Beach Naval Shipyard Reunion committee, Im on the Long Beach Veterans Day Parade committee, I'm the resident Naval Architecht for the Pacific Battleship Center and a crew member of the Battleship Iowa and finally getting a heck of a workout with my four grandchildren.

Oh, and this summer I will probably be the Technical Advisor with the University of California at Long Beach of a TV documentary of the Navy's past presence in Long Beach
      Last edited by RustyBattleship; 17 May 14,, 20:13.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Geez Dick, when do you start filming your "Reality Show"??

Comment

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
          Geez Dick, when do you start filming your "Reality Show"??
          UCLB will contact me sometime in June after graduation crazy days are over. I have already suggested that instead of using ultra-obvious blue screen pictures (is Rick on "Pawn Stars" EVER going to sell those guitars?) we do interviews with REAL 16-inch guns in the background.

But that's just my suggestion so far.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
          X