X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior Police Department spends 733K for a MRAP

Superior police get a vehicle fit for combat | Duluth News Tribune

SPD says they will use the MRAP as an armored ambulance. :confu:

The DoD probably has a lot of these that they want to get rid of and they are getting paid for it.
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Didn't see where it said Superior was paying anything more than the cost of transportation-$4500. That's it.

This would have been laughable ten years ago but there isn't a city in this nation which hasn't undergone serious contingency training for active shooter scenarios. Nevermind riots and any other major civic disorder where something like this would be valuable.

Sure hope the military have retained a goodly corps of these vehicles for their own light contingency operations going forward. I'm sure there's a real inclination at DA, for instance, to suggest we're out of the COIN business for good but I adhere to the rule of "...never saying 'never'".
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Citizens shooting police are at historic lows, in the mean time, cops have killed more citizens (non-military) since 9-11, than died on 9-11. We have too many cops, with too many guns enforcing too many laws with too little oversight.

Comment

Not going to say that cops haven't screwed up in terrible ways (although discharging a firearm in the presence of a police officer is not a good way to engender a peaceful and productive dialogue).

But the police have had armored vehicles and heavily-armed SWAT teams for years. And all it takes is one incident where the cops are hideously, ridiculously out-gunned by criminals that police forces are going to demand equalization.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

S2, trust me....Lots of MRAPs are around in storage.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
            Superior police get a vehicle fit for combat | Duluth News Tribune

SPD says they will use the MRAP as an armored ambulance. :confu:

The DoD probably has a lot of these that they want to get rid of and they are getting paid for it.
            Problem is, DoD has a lot of them -in Afghanistan, but doesn't want to pay to bring them back.

Scrap Heap of War: Billions in equipment being left behind in Afghanistan | Fox News
            Pakistan eyes U.S. military equipment in Afghanistan - The Washington Post

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              S2, trust me....Lots of MRAPs are around in storage.
              I can attest...

I live in Neenah WI, just 10 miles north or Oshkosh where they're built. Once I saw several score of them lined up along the access road around Whittman airport. I even saw one sitting on a flatbed on a farm somewhere. With things winding down, Oshkosh Truck will be going through some layoffs.

I'm surprised Superior, of all places is getting one. Nothing significant happens there. I wasted 9 years of my life living there after high school.

Neenah's getting one too, which made headlines last week.

Ed-
              Last edited by Zad Fnark; 12 May 14,, 14:30.

Comment

If one were to look at places like FT Irwin, FT Polk, Sunnypoint, NC, Sierra Army Depot, Red River Army Depot they would see quite of few of these.

And we don't need the ones in Afghanistan...let the Afghanis have them.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  Not going to say that cops haven't screwed up in terrible ways (although discharging a firearm in the presence of a police officer is not a good way to engender a peaceful and productive dialogue).

But the police have had armored vehicles and heavily-armed SWAT teams for years. And all it takes is one incident where the cops are hideously, ridiculously out-gunned by criminals that police forces are going to demand equalization.
                  Cops have been screaming for it for years... Other than the LA Bank shootout I can't recall an incident where they really needed it though. I'm not opposed to cops have battle rifles. But they should also wear cameras and mics that are specifically open to FOIA (other than narcs and some undercover ops), be subject to citizen boards impaneled as grand juries (police should not police the police) and being a law enforcement officer should be an aggravating offense for violent acts ruled unjustified by aforementioned panels. Police unions should not be able to shield cops from prosecution or firing for criminal acts. SWAT should only be used for real hard cases, no-knock warrants should be done away with for run of the mill criminals, addresses should be confirmed, CI information alone should not be enough for a warrant. Testilying and use of notebooks (not previously given to the defense as part of discovery. In many areas such notes are protected work product and not turned over and are used on the stand) in Court should be aggressively prevented and punished. Finally, any cop that helps another cop cover up a crime should be charged with conspiracy and the crime they helped cover up in order to break the thin blue line of lies.

Comment

Here is good reason for police to have armored vehicles.
                    Home Explosion Follows Reported Police Shooting in Brentwood, N.H. - New Hampshire news - Boston.com

The police responded to a domestic disturbance, the occupant shot the officer at the door and proceeded to shoot at the back up that responded to retrieve the initial officer. He then proceeded to burn the house down and blow himself up. Intentionally or not intentionally makes no difference. If a police force wanted a Carl Gustav, or M-2 or an armed armored vehicle like a tank or mortars, I might be worried. An armored vehicle to allow officers to be withdrawn from a hazardous scene or be able to approach a hazardous scene or to breach a barrier does not seem unreasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      Cops have been screaming for it for years... Other than the LA Bank shootout I can't recall an incident where they really needed it though.
                      You didn't notice the other two examples I embedded? And that was after literally 30 seconds on Wiki.

I'm not opposed to cops have battle rifles. But they should also wear cameras and mics that are specifically open to FOIA
                      Sure that would certainly help and I'm totally in favor of it, but it's not always going to be practical (not talking about undercovers either)
                      Police unions should not be able to shield cops from prosecution or firing for criminal acts.
                      Totally agree

SWAT should only be used for real hard cases, no-knock warrants should be done away with for run of the mill criminals
                      Therein lies the problem. Cops go to a "run of the mill criminal" to serve a warrant or what have you...and the house explodes with small arms fire like it's Fallujah. Cops and innocent bystanders are cut down like fresh-mowed grass, the next-of-kin/public/media all jump on the PD with lawsuits for not being ready and prepared to deal with an obvious hardened criminal. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Finally, any cop that helps another cop cover up a crime should be charged with conspiracy and the crime they helped cover up in order to break the thin blue line of lies.
                      No question about the first part of what you said, but the bolded part? Really?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        You didn't notice the other two examples I embedded? And that was after literally 30 seconds on Wiki.
                        Even if we add them and the NH house fire and a few others we are talking less than .0001% of use of force incidents.

Raids gone wrong

http://www.cato.org/raidmap

Sure that would certainly help and I'm totally in favor of it, but it's not always going to be practical (not talking about undercovers either)
                        Totally agree
                        Respecting rights isn't based on the practicality of it to the government agent.

Therein lies the problem. Cops go to a "run of the mill criminal" to serve a warrant or what have you...and the house explodes with small arms fire like it's Fallujah. Cops and innocent bystanders are cut down like fresh-mowed grass, the next-of-kin/public/media all jump on the PD with lawsuits for not being ready and prepared to deal with an obvious hardened criminal. Rinse, lather, repeat.
                        More like the cops run to the media and politicans. You don't see firefighters screaming for silver suits to fight wild land fires... Cops need to stop substituting tech for talent.

No question about the first part of what you said, but the bolded part? Really?
                        Yup, accessory after the fact is used against civilians all the time. I don't know of it ever being used against a cop or group of cops since at least the Rampart Scandal. The idea that cops deserve special protection from prosecution for crimes committed is offensive. They are authorized to kill and should be held to a higher, not lesser standard of conduct.
                        Last edited by zraver; 14 May 14,, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                          Here is good reason for police to have armored vehicles.
                          Home Explosion Follows Reported Police Shooting in Brentwood, N.H. - New Hampshire news - Boston.com

The police responded to a domestic disturbance, the occupant shot the officer at the door and proceeded to shoot at the back up that responded to retrieve the initial officer. He then proceeded to burn the house down and blow himself up. Intentionally or not intentionally makes no difference. If a police force wanted a Carl Gustav, or M-2 or an armed armored vehicle like a tank or mortars, I might be worried. An armored vehicle to allow officers to be withdrawn from a hazardous scene or be able to approach a hazardous scene or to breach a barrier does not seem unreasonable to me.
                          Sorry but a 10' tall. 8' wide roll over prone vehicle wont make a very good tactical ambulance. On many rural streets it wont fit down the street due to low hanging wires and branches. It will sink through thin surface streets, and god forbid you try and use it for hi-water rescues in a flash flood or go off road with it...
                          Last edited by zraver; 14 May 14,, 12:54.

Comment

I'm saying that the police needing an armored vehicle is not a threat- not that that particular type is suitable for certain areas or roads or is better than another. My feeling is that a manufacturer could come up with a specific type -if it's not already available- that would fill the police need without putting a tank on the road. Even a modified bank truck might work.

As far as the police being a threat to freedom- that's too big and broad a statement. There are certainly police that abuse their authority the same as there are soldiers who exceed what the laws of war allow or teachers that abuse authority to push their beliefs on students or sexually abuse them, or any number of people that abuse or misuse authority or power that they are given. There is also a mission creep that all govt bureaucracies possess, where they look to expand their budgets and fiefdoms for a myriad of reasons. I would not accuse all officers or agencies of this, nor would I deny officers materials that they may need to do their job. If it doesn't violate the Constitution or make a situation worse (such as using aerial bombs like the Philly police did in the 85 raid on MOVE) and the police can show a legitimate need and use for it, and their constituency allows the expense, I see no reason to deny it to them. The truck in the article is not armed and has no firing ports so you cannot fight from it and it was free to them thru a govt program (other than shipping costs) which is why I suspect they settled on it.

The analogy of a firefighter not crying for a proximity suit to fight wildfires doesn't fit nor apply. A proximity suit would kill a firefighter trying to work a wildland blaze- it is too hot and heavy and cumbersome and the firefighter would be unable to function. Firefighters do however constantly ask for newer and better gear to protect them selves when it is appropriate, starting with scba's, better turnout gear, gas meters, tic's, safer trucks and they also fight for laws restricting what home builders can use to build their homes, like laminated structural beams, lightweight truss, metal truss plate connectors, forcing people to install sprinklers, smoke detectors against their will.
                            So, yes, firefighters do scream for things to protect them and allow them to go home at the end of the day. In fact, since the recent firefighter shooting in NY, there are even some firefighters calling to have body armor or to be allowed to carry firearms. (none of which I agree with).

As far as whether or not there is an excessive use of swat teams forcing entry to private residences, I think you should look at whether a writ for forceable entry or no-knock warrant was justified. If it was, I have no problem with police using a swat team. If the warrants aren't justified, then you need to look at the courts, not the police. If police lie to courts or present false evidence to get a no knock warrant, then a crime has been committed and the police officer that committed perjury should be prosecuted.

Comment

Z,
                              I think we have discussed this topic before. MRAPS are effectively being given away for free to local US law enforcement. In urban environments the number of times they can be usefully deployed will be strictly limited given current rate of the 'high intensity' violent crime that would warrant their deployment in the US. Local LEAs would have to suspect in advance that their deployment was warranted before deploying them during search warrant execution, failing that it would require a siege situation to warrant the cost. They mightt get more use in rural settings where they have room to maneuver but not much more. Give one to every fifth county PD in the US to be shared around with their immediate neighbor counties in an emergency and they would still end up gathering dust most of the time.

Bottom line is MRAPS cost money to run and most cash strapped local PDs would have to be given one for free before they would even consider deploying them. The US could offer every Police force in the country spare M1A1s or C130s and the story would be the same. Capital assets like this are only usefull as long as their utility outweighs their acquisition and operating costs.
                              Last edited by Monash; 14 May 14,, 11:32.
                              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X