Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which starter cellphone for a teen?

Help!

Nokia X - is it better than the Nokia Lumia 520?

Any other phones the tech guys here could suugest that are as good or better?

Yes, trying to keep it within the same price ballpark would be greatly appreciated by the purchasing father (WAB loyalist), not so much by the recipient daughter (non WABber). :whome:

If the 5MP camera is not a must, then I'd go for X.

Just hate windows phones.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      If the 5MP camera is not a must, then I'd go for X.

Just hate windows phones.
      Agreed, windows phones are bad news, stick to Android. Btw, you should ideally go for a non-touchscreen, no-frills phone. Teenagers with internet-enabled phones are bad news.

This was my first phone I got when I was 17:

Kids these days...
      Attached Files

Comment

Someone played snake a lot.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
          Nokia X - is it better than the Nokia Lumia 520?
          520 (525 now) >>>>>>>> Nokia X

X is some side project that Nokia had to jettison when they joined MS. Avoid it. it has no purpose in life.

MS mandates that any software that runs on the WP must run on 520, this buttresses the value of the Nokia low end a great deal than android.

Any other phones the tech guys here could suugest that are as good or better?
          Moto G!

China -> Flip kart -> You

About Rs.4-5k more. 8GB is Rs.2k less than 16GB. Moto's pricing is extremely competitive.

Yes, trying to keep it within the same price ballpark would be greatly appreciated by the purchasing father (WAB loyalist), not so much by the recipient daughter (non WABber). :whome:
          Here is where you need to decide which ecosystem you want to join. Android is a lot further along than WP is. The only WP phones that sell are low end or second hand high end.

I have to say that those under Rs.5k nokia feature phones are also very competitive. But your teen will most likely want whatsapp functionality which isn't available on these.

What does your teen want ?
          Last edited by Double Edge; 10 May 14,, 15:03.

Comment

Android. If it's a beginner phone, it doesn't make a difference which one. Go with something like the Galaxy S4 Mini. Good enough to be a great phone, not advanced enough to be incredibly expensive. The advantage is that you can child-proof Android phones up the wazoo, putting on GPS trackers, child-safing the search, only allowing internet at certain times, etc... If you know a little bit about programming, you can do whatever you want to an Android.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Someone played snake a lot.
              I wish I had done something more useful with those hours of my life.

Comment

A female teen?
                A cheap alternative is the Moto G. Only 12k or so but has more than enough power.
                Make sure you install tracker apps to be on the safe side when she goes out.

Edit: I see DE already beat me to it. Great minds think alike :)
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

DE,

From the two options, I'd still go with Android.

SB,
                  Go to Alibaba and buy whatever phone caches your eye. It wont live more then 12 months with a teen anyway

Comment

I agree with Bigross86. Get an android phone like galaxy s duos / trend / s4 mini.
                    But buy a phone with removable battery. Batteries usually degrade after 1.5 - 2 years, depending on usage.

Comment

Apple iPhone 5C...this is the plastic case version of the iPhone. Has iOS7, great camera, sweet all around, and Apple iTunes store offers way more and better apps than Google offers for Android. The screen is not as large as some other phones, but plenty big enough for a starter. Good trade in value...

Good luck.
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

What's with all the Android lovers? There are many versions? Which one? Even Blackberry's new OS is better, and Apple's iOS7 beats Android by a mile.

The Android era: From G1 to KitKat - CNET

Comment

You guys are worse then his teen. He set Rs10k price limit, Ben hit 20k, jad goes 40. With this pace we will have to open donations page;-)

Comment

You guys are worse then his teen. He set Rs10k price limit, Ben hit 20k, jad goes 40. With this pace we will have to open donations page;-)
                            Kick Starter, anyone?

Comment

I only said Android and threw an example.

As for what makes Android better than iOS? Basically, everything. The fact that it is entirely 100% customizable and you can make your phone pretty much do anything you want, for starters. You can upgrade to a new system whenever you like, and it takes about 10 minutes. The Play Store has just about the same apps the App Store has, the two are comparable.

In a nutshell, iOS (and all Apple products) give you a phone and a system, and tell you to have fun. If you don't like it, then it sucks to be you. Android practically begs you to take the phone and make it fit your needs.
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                              X