India Elections 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India Elections 2014

I wanted a thread to discuss and talk about the Indian Parliamentary Elections of 2014

A good overview from The Guardian and BBC

Overview
    India's general election, which starts on 7 April, will be the largest vote ever held. About 814,500,000 people will have a ballot, and around 20% of these will be eligible for the first time. Turnout has traditionally been in the region of 55%.

So vast is the democratic exercise that it will require around 5 million people to conduct the procedure, and as many again to police it. The electoral commission has a stated ambition that no voter should have to travel more than 2km to a polling station, and nor should any one station serve more than 1,500 voters.

The election takes place in nine phases, over a period of six weeks. Voting starts in the remote hills and valleys of the far north-east before moving into central upland areas and then broadly shifting further west and south.

Some of the medium-sized states hold polls in all constituencies on the same day, but the bigger states like Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Madhya Pradesh are spread over five or more days. Jammu and Kashmir, with six constituencies in total, takes five separate days, to allow the security forces to concentrate their efforts on one constituency at a time.
    Indian election 2014: your interactive guide to the world's biggest vote | World | The Guardian

BBC News - India election: World's biggest voting event explained

Hopefully the results will soon start pouring in
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Electronic Voting Machine

How the machines work:

1) Candidates' names are written in the majority languages and scripts of the constituency. To help illiterate voters, each candidate is also identified by a symbol: the lotus for the BJP, for example, or a hand for Congress. Non-affiliated candidates can choose a symbol from an approved list.

2) Voters press the blue button next to their preferred candidate to cast their ballot. For the first time, there is a button for None of the Above, as well as a serial number in Braille to help visually impaired voters.

3) The control unit stores the votes and runs on a battery so that it can keep working in case of a power cut. During counting, the serial number of each candidate appears, along with the total number of votes cast.

Once poll officials press the Close button under the flap, the machine stops recording any more votes. It is used at the end of polling or if anybody tries to forcibly enter a polling station with the intention of casting fraudulent votes.

4) To prevent anyone tampering with the unit holding the voting information, the unit is sealed with old-fashioned wax, supplemented by a secure strip from the election commission and a serial number.

BBC News - India election: World's biggest voting event explained
    Attached Files
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I wonder if the EC can tamper with the results of the election if it was sympathetic to one party. There were claims of EVM fraud and election tampering by EC officials back in 2009. Just wondering if there was some truth to the claims. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Comment

To elaborate on what I am talking about, read this here:

Defective Pune EVM 'transfers' all votes to Congress - The Times of India

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          To elaborate on what I am talking about, read this here:

Defective Pune EVM 'transfers' all votes to Congress - The Times of India
          It says the EC stopped the polling and repolled as soon as they noticed it. Every booth has observers from the contesting parties. I doubt any such conspiracy will succeed in a broad based manner. I am pretty happy with the way the EC has functioned, I just wish they would keep up with the times and bring in online/ remote voting methods.

Comment

There's already a thread on this: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/cen...ns-2014-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              Thanks

Mods, can you please merge

Comment

Working...
              X