Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

There are clearly a few cricket fans on WAB so it seems sensible to create a thread for cricket discussions. Doing it on a thread about Brendon McCullum seems a bit silly & will get sillier as time moves on.

This can be a place for updates on current tournaments or series, developments off the field, history, discussions & even arguments. This year we have already had the 2 top test teams play a thrilling series in Sth Africa; a T20 World Cup ongoing; Mouth watering Test series involving Australia, Pakistan, India & England and at the start of 2015 the 50 over a side World Cup in Australia & New Zealand.

Plenty to be going on with there.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

I'll kick off with an update on the ongoing T20 World Cup in Bangladesh. We aren't getting full coverage here & I'm not interested enough to pay close attention, so hopefully others will keep us updated/fill in the details. If not I'll pitch in.

At this point three of the four semi-finalists have been decided. India & Sth Africa will play off in on match, while Pakistan & the West Indies are effectively playing off for a spot in the other semi against Sri Lanka. Thus far the big surprises of the tournament have been Australia losing 3 straight & England losing to a Netherlands team that was unlucky not to beat Sth Africa as well. it has been a bad few months for England & this just sticks the boot in. Having missed qualification for the 50 over World Cup just last month this is a big boost for Dutch cricket.

India is the form side at the moment, but T20 is a fickle beast where a few overs can turn a game on its head. In theory a Sri Lanka/India final would seem likely, but the possibility of an India/Pakistan 'grudge match' in the final is truly enticing. Pakistan is one of those teams that can lose to an under-12s side one day & beat the best in the world the next, so the last few games could be interesting.
    sigpic

Comment

Every match with Pakistan is a grudge match. My friends and I've sat with Pakistanis and watched part of the match against them the last World Cup. Both sides go out of the way to be sacharine sweet and polite to one another, trying to outdo the other in terms of mehman nawazi (being a gracious host), but you can cut the tension just under the thin crust with a knife .....

Cricket is not just a game for most of us.

And when it comes to Pakistan, neither is hockey. Can't think of any other sport which raise similar passions for both sides. Sadly just as India controls world cricket and effectively lays down the rules, so too did modern hockey get controlled and modified by Western teams to suit their own game and style of play. India and Pakistan being the biggest losers, both being masters of fast fluid artistry rather than power and the long game.
      Last edited by sated buddha; 01 Apr 14,, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        Every match with Pakistan is a grudge match. My friends and I've sat with Pakistanis and watched part of the match against them the last World Cup. Both sides go out of the way to be sacharine sweet and polite to one another, trying to outdo the other in terms of mehman nawazi (being a gracious host), but you can cut the tension just under the thin crust with a knife .....

Cricket is not just a game for most of us.

And when it comes to Pakistan, neither is hockey. Can't think of any other sport which raise similar passions for both sides. Sadly just as India controls world cricket and effectively lays down the rules, so too did modern hockey get controlled and modified by Western teams to suit their own game and style of play. India and Pakistan being the biggest losers, both being masters of fast fluid artistry rather than power and the long game.
        Erm no. I dont really care since i grew out of teenage years.

Hockey is pretty boring to watch but frightening to play.
        I remember guys in school who knew how to break bones and not get caught for it.
        Its never a good idea to give a bunch of teenagers big wooden bats and tell them to go at it.
        Last edited by bolo121; 01 Apr 14,, 11:52.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
          Erm no. I dont really care since i grew out of teenage years.
          You are an aberration. You are an exception to the rule, a tiny microsm of cricket-is-war mad India where Pakistan is concerned. But I guess you already know that and like being contrary and airy for some reason.

I remember guys in school who knew how to break bones and not get caught for it.
          Its never a good idea to give a bunch of teenagers big wooden bats and tell them to go at it.
          As for hockey, I'm one of the guys whose ilk you knew, and I'm guessing I knew some of yours as well. :)
          Last edited by sated buddha; 01 Apr 14,, 12:50.

Comment

There are sports other than cricket that matter? :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

You guys have hockey over there these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                You guys have hockey over there these days?
                Field hockey.

Comment

Needless to say, my Pakistani coworker has a frown on his face today...

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                    You are an aberration. You are an exception to the rule, a tiny microsm of cricket-is-war mad India where Pakistan is concerned. But I guess you already know that and like being contrary and airy for some reason.
                    In other words i am sane and realize that the only people who really win from all this fervour are advertisers plus the looters of the BCCI.
                    However going from the attitude i see in my pretty big office I dont think the fervour you describ is still there. At least not in Bangalore.

I have been described as pessimistic sometimes but you are the first to call me airy of all things.
                    Its not a matter of being contrary, I just look at the pattern and if its distasteful, I dont participate.

As for hockey, I'm one of the guys whose ilk you knew, and I'm guessing I knew some of yours as well. :)
                    Man thats just such a North Indian thing to say.
                    Last edited by bolo121; 01 Apr 14,, 17:36.
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

In other words i am sane and realize that the only people who really win from all this fervour are advertisers plus the looters of the BCCI.
                      Actually, you can be a fan of cricket and the Indian cricket team without being a fan of the BCCI, just saying! But taking a look at our bowlers I can understand...

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                        There are sports other than cricket that matter? :Dancing-Banana:
                        Not during the summer or a winter tour of England. Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. Perfection!
                        sigpic

Comment

That's cute, we gotta sit through the IPL in the summers.

Comment

We need to tackle Steyn. Need to dent his psyche in the very first over. A case for an ambush hitter maybe. Morkel is difficult but not particularly unmanageable.

Comment

However going from the attitude i see in my pretty big office I dont think the fervour you describ is still there. At least not in Bangalore.

I have been described as pessimistic sometimes but you are the first to call me airy of all things.
                              Its not a matter of being contrary, I just look at the pattern and if its distasteful, I dont participate.
                              Cricket is not followed by the head, but by the heart. If you need to analyse and decide on "participation", you are indeed better off watching some other sport. Golf or chess maybe.

Man thats just such a North Indian thing to say.
                              Why? Because "Northies" are crass and break bones and "Southies" are timid rassam sipping puppies who get beaten up?

Talk about jaundiced prejudices and pigeon-holing man .....
                              Last edited by sated buddha; 02 Apr 14,, 08:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X