No announcement yet.

Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: India is on tour to NZ. India won the first 2 T20 matches convincingly. There are a total of 5 T20 matches, so another 3 remain. Shreyas Iyer and KL Rahul, surprised me.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• So, India won the 1st three T20I against NZ (out of 5), and hence the series. Today's ended in a super over.

Kane Williamson 95 in vain as Rohit Sharma bosses it in the Super Over
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• India vs New Zealand, 5th T20I: India beat New Zealand by 7 runs, notch up rare 5-0 whitewash

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 19.49.28.png
Views:	2
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1478619

OMG. The pleasure that this match gave me. No words to describe.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Oracle; 04 Feb 20,, 15:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
            Cricket fans generate the money in cricket - and therefore the advertising revenue - no audience no advertisers. We need the truest form of the game to survive and aspire to - hell if I live to see a Ukrainian Test team play even Ireland or Zimbabwe let alone Australia, India or England - even a green and team house in my nearest town - I will watch and play or umpire or help however I can. Cricket is civilised and spreads civilisation and the highest form is Test cricket. It should have 'civilisational subsidies' if need be but the drama of the exciting Tests is beyond comparison with any other sport and civilises people with patience and the other virtues apart from fair play (apart from some Aussies).
            Murray Mints.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• This afternoon a collection of retired cricket greats and others got together in a 10 over a side game to raise money for victims of the Australian bushfires.

Among the Australian players were Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson & Brett Lee. The internationals included Wasim Akram, Courtney Walsh, Yuvraj Singh and Brian Lara. Sachin Tendulkar apparently has a shoulder issue that prevents him playing, but he still took on a 'coaching' role and faced an over from Australia's leading female cricketer - Ellyse Perry - during the innings break. Of course, his real value was simply to raise the profile of the fundraiser, which he did to great effect. The event was sold out, and it was clear that a good many of those who turned out were there to see Tendulkar.

The game itself was fun and silly. Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson & Brian Lara in particular impressed the crowd with their hitting. Wasim Akram and Courtney Walsh looked as if they had been enjoying retirement, while some of the best bowling actually came from AFL legend and four time Hawthorn premiership player Luke Hodge.

I am sure that all Australians would like to thank all those who participated, and especially those overseas players who lent their names to the cause. It is clear that the respect and affections players developed for each other on the field has continued after retirement.
              sigpic

Comment

• India lost the ODI series against NZ. 2 matches out of 3 lost. This is what I call inconsistency. They had such an adrenaline rush after drubbing NZ 5-0 in T20s, that they forgot ODIs are important too. Let's see what surprises the Indian team have for us in Tests.

Comment

• U-19 WC. Defending Champions India lost against Bangladesh. Bangladesh is the new U-19 Champion. Well played Bangladesh.

Comment

• India lost the test series Vs the Kiwis, 2-0. WHat a drubbing? Kohli surely will come down in rankings. Congratulations, another high.

Comment

• The Women's T20 World Cup has finished in spectacular fashion with 86,000 attending the Australia v India final at the MCG. While the crowd fell 5000 short of the all time record for a women's sports event (soccer World Cup in he US back in the 90s) it didn't matter. This was a moment for a sport that has finally arrived. As one of those present I can attest that the atmosphere matched any big game I have seen at the MCG.

The game itself was very one sided. India's nerves were clear from the first over, which began with three full tosses and then the dropping of player of the match Alyssa Healy. She went on to make 75 off 39 balls, and together with fellow opener and player of the tournament Beth Moooney (78 no. off 54) laid the foundation of an imposing 4-184. The first over of India's innings was a contrast, with Healy taking a sharp chance to dismiss dangerous 16 year old tyro Shafali Verma. By the end of the second over India was two down and another player out of the game concussed (she got a replacement, but not the same quality) and basically out of the game.

It was a poor finish for India, which had beaten Australia in the opening game and not lost a game thereafter. Australia, on the other hand, did brilliantly considering it lost an opening bowler before the tournament and star all rounder Ellyse Perry during the tournament.

The tournament itself has been a great success. Good games, good crowds and some good stories. The best was undoubtedly the Thai cricket team. Despite having cricket history & not even a domestic competition the Thai women beat out much better credentialed teams to get to the WC. They brought their own distinctive style & charmed everyone who saw them. Sadly they were denied a near certain win against Pakistan when, having made 150, pakistan's innings was washed out by Sydney's shit weather (about which more shortly). Another big story was the rise & rise of Shafali Verma, the 16 year old Indian player who, unable to play in her home town, cut her hair & pretended to be her brother, winning 'man of the series' in a local competition. While still raw, she is an incredible talent who will be the best batter in the women's game in a few years.

The only down note of the tournament was Sydney's crap weather and the stupidity of the ICC. In addition to denying Thailand its shot at a win, the rain in Sydney denied England a chance to beat India in the semi final. While India would likely have won, not getting the chance to play sucked. Playing on the same day, Australia came within 9 minutes of the same fate. For reasons beyond comprehension there was no reserve day for the semi finals. Seems like an easy enough thing to organise.

Anyway, the tournament was a great success and a milestone for the women's game. Hopefully this will help kick off more quality women's competitions to match the WBBL in Australia and (possibly) the new 100 ball comp in England. It would be great to see the IPL expanded. India clearly has the talent, and more opportunity will breed more cricketers.
                      sigpic

Comment

• MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli didn't support me like Sourav Ganguly did: Yuvraj Singh

What was common knowledge.

Comment

• Younis Khan once held a knife to my throat when I offered him advice: Grant Flower

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 4.02.44 PM.png
Views:	99
Size:	680.5 KB
ID:	1568512

Comment

• None of those test venues are guaranteed. There has just been a COVID outbreak in Adelaide. It should be under control in a month, but that is not guaranteed. Perth & Hobart are still possibilities. I suspect the dates will be adhered to as closely as possible, especially for the big two tests. Sadly it is unlikely that there will be full crowds.

With Kohli heading home after the first Test and Australia with a complete batting lineup this time around Australia should be heavily favoured.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Okay, I have a question. Kohli is expecting his first child, which is good news. But he has a duty as the Captain of the Indian team. So, should he have stayed instead and played. He can always see his child later.

Comment

Working...
                                X