Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Shane Warne

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...warne-obituary

This hit hard Some of my favorite memories watching cricket growing up in the 90s

Will be missed
    Last edited by InExile; 04 Mar 22,, 23:45.

Comment

• This was really shocking and upsetting. I started watching cricket in the 90's as well and Shane Warne was a rockstar at the time. Freakishly talented and endlessly entertaining. The guy every country wished was in their team. RIP to the legend.

Comment

• Ave Shane Warne. First Rod Marsh now Warne, all in the space of 24 hours.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Marsh hurt, but this is a hammer blow. Warnie was close to me in age and dominated cricket as I became an adult. I really feel for his kids. They are too young to lose their dad.

Warne was the greatest cricketer I have ever seen. He was the greatest player in a great team and did more to revive leg spin than any other player. Something always happened when Warnie had the ball.

One of the joys of living in Melbourne was getting to see him play every Boxing Day at his home ground. I was there in 1992 when he took his first 5 wicket haul and won the test against Richie Richardson's West Indies. My Dad loved leg spin and passed that on to me. He had died only 7 weeks earlier, and I remember wishing he could have seen this. He would have loved it.

Like a lot of Australians I eagerly waited for the 1993 Ashes series in England to see how he would go. I was up at night watching when the bowled his first ball. THAT ball. The ball that changed cricket. If you are a fan you can probably picture it turning viciously past Mike Gatting's bat. That moment of doubt as you wonder if maybe Healy dislodged the bails (because it just couldn't be the ball). Then the realization that it had, with Gatting looking back ruefully.

My other lasting Warnie memory was his hat trick at the MCG in the return Ashes series the following year. It was the last morning of the test and England was going to lose. My friends & I went along expecting maybe half a day's play. We got 90 minutes, including Warne's hat trick. It was one of the most devastating displays of bowling I have ever seen.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• So Big Fella, any comments on what happened at the Marylebone Cricket Club?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/03/sport...ntl/index.html
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              So Big Fella, any comments on what happened at the Marylebone Cricket Club?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/03/sport...ntl/index.html
              So some of the MCC members got testy and not players. Since it can take a very long time to get on the board I have to assume board members are an older group as compared to the players. Correct?:Nevertheless, I still don't understand the game and even less so when I actually watch some of it and some call baseball boring.

Comment

Working...
              X