No announcement yet.

Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to start a thread on this earlier but the website was having a tantrum. I'll correct that now. The nation is in shock.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Absolute heartbreak at Adelaide. The match was quite a fitting tribute to Hughes though.

Comment

Giving 12 wickets to Nathan Lyon.
        Shameless pusillanimous capitulation.
        Kohli was very impressive though.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
          Absolute heartbreak at Adelaide. The match was quite a fitting tribute to Hughes though.
          A cricket writer yesterday commented that Aaron Sorkin appeared to be writing the script this week:

*Philip Hughes' closest friends in the team each scored a century. One scored two, another over 200 runs without dismissal;

*Former NSW team mate Nathan Lyon took 12 wickets to win the match;

*Virat Kohli, another friend and team mate, scored 2 brilliant centuries;

*Sean Abbott, yet another former team mate who will sadly always be known for bowling the fatal ball took 6/14 to destroy Queensland and win a State match outright.

Perhaps best of all, this was a match that was played the way Hughes played. it was tough, it was exciting, it was combative at times, and both teams threw caution to the wind to play for a win. Kudos in particular to Kohli. Not every touring captain would have shown his preparedness to play for the win. That was the cherry on top of a test match few of us will forget. Somewhere Philip Hughes has that trademark grin on his face.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
            Giving 12 wickets to Nathan Lyon.
            Shameless pusillanimous capitulation.
            Kohli was very impressive though.
            Lyon is an underrated bowler. Because he is inconsistent and sometimes gets hit people forget that at his best he is a very dangerous bowler. He has taken bags against subcontinental teams & even in the subcontinent. He took it up to the Indian team & was rewarded.
            sigpic

Comment

I woke up early to watch the last day of the match, being a weekend. Murali Vijay needs to cultivate patience if he sees himself playing for India as an opener. He showed compulsive restlessness at 99. He fell, and the stage was set for the Aussies. India could have won it, but then again it was an interesting game.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

There's a chance I may never play again: Clarke

A very talented sportsman. I hope he still has some years left.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  Lyon is an underrated bowler. Because he is inconsistent and sometimes gets hit people forget that at his best he is a very dangerous bowler. He has taken bags against subcontinental teams & even in the subcontinent. He took it up to the Indian team & was rewarded.
                  He isn't dangerous in and of himself, he is mediocre but knows himself and tries with all his heart anyway.
                  R Ashwin and the rest of our feckless spinners should take note.
                  Ryan Harris is another one who has so many problems but has a huge heart and pushes himself regardless.

Indians get so tempted by the free lunch he offers that he is able to trip them up.
                  The main problem was that out of all 11 of them only Kohli believed he could win.
                  Plus like the rest of the aussies Lyon was pumped up to win one for Phil Hughes.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                    He isn't dangerous in and of himself, he is mediocre but knows himself and tries with all his heart anyway.
                    R Ashwin and the rest of our feckless spinners should take note.
                    Ryan Harris is another one who has so many problems but has a huge heart and pushes himself regardless.

Indians get so tempted by the free lunch he offers that he is able to trip them up.
                    The main problem was that out of all 11 of them only Kohli believed he could win.
                    Plus like the rest of the aussies Lyon was pumped up to win one for Phil Hughes.
                    Lyon takes a wicket every 66 balls. Same as Anil Kumble, Graeme Swann and Saqlain Mushtaq and better than a long list of 'more dangerous' off spinners. People underestimate him because he concedes more runs doing it. His bounce and spin was excellent. I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw Indian batsmen were constantly getting trapped on the crease (now I know why India doesnt want DRS) or getting beaten by balls that spun too much for them. Most of the 12 wickets were batsmen on the defensive.

Lyon isn't the best offie in the world, but he has earned a bit more respect than you are showing him.
                    sigpic

Comment

Lyon takes a wicket every 66 balls. Same as Anil Kumble, Graeme Swann and Saqlain Mushtaq and better than a long list of 'more dangerous' off spinners. People underestimate him because he concedes more runs doing it. His bounce and spin was excellent. I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw Indian batsmen were constantly getting trapped on the crease (now I know why India doesnt want DRS) or getting beaten by balls that spun too much for them. Most of the 12 wickets were batsmen on the defensive.

Lyon isn't the best offie in the world, but he has earned a bit more respect than you are showing him.
                      Lyon wasn't successful in subcontinental conditions, which are traditional hunting grounds for spinners. Until yesterday's match, even his ability to win matches in Australia was questioned. I'd say until 13 Dec 2014 no one would've rated Lyon as a threat.

Comment

This Indian team is a throwback to the late 90s when the team literally revolved around Sachin's batting and collapsed right after he got out. Now we have Kohli instead of Sachin but the rest of the team continues to suck. Sigh.

Comment

*Former NSW team mate Nathan Lyon took 12 wickets to win the match;

Are you sure they were NSW teammates?

Comment

Originally posted by Samuels creek View Post
                            Are you sure they were NSW teammates?
                            I assumed they were, but it looks like I was wrong.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                              Lyon wasn't successful in subcontinental conditions, which are traditional hunting grounds for spinners. Until yesterday's match, even his ability to win matches in Australia was questioned. I'd say until 13 Dec 2014 no one would've rated Lyon as a threat.
                              Lyon has taken 5 for in subcontinental conditions several times. His best innings figures are from a match in Dehli last year. he has bowled Australia to victory on several occasions. Despite spending most of his career as a foil to a more highly rated pace attack and bowling in conditions that were frequently unsuited to him, his stats are pretty good. He takes wickets at a higher strike rate than Harbhajan Singh and his average is only 2 runs higher. Given that Singh spent most of his career on the friendliest of pitches I would suggest that a lot of people, you included, are underestimating Lyon.
                              sigpic

Comment

Lyon has taken 5 for in subcontinental conditions several times.
                                No he hasn't. He has taken a 7-for exactly once, in Delhi last year, with an economy of 4.00. On a wicket where a clown like Jadeja got 5 wickets. Elsewhere in the subcontinent, he has been dismal.

Despite spending most of his career as a foil to a more highly rated pace attack and bowling in conditions that were frequently unsuited to him, his stats are pretty good. He takes wickets at a higher strike rate than Harbhajan Singh and his average is only 2 runs higher. Given that Singh spent most of his career on the friendliest of pitches I would suggest that a lot of people, you included, are underestimating Lyon.
                                Let's not compare him to Harbhajan, who is a veteran and who has, in his prime, excelled not just in the subcontinent but in England, Windies and SAfrica as well. It's unfair to Lyon, whose career has only just begun. A more apt comparison would be R Ashwin, who is the same age as Lyon and has played less test cricket than Lyon, and yet has better figures. The most damning figures are the number of ODIs and T20s Lyon has been picked for - 8 ODIs and 19 T20s. He is constantly being passed over for Doherty, O' Keefe, etc.

All that being said, his performance in Adelaide was stunning, and I only hope that this is a turning point for him and the Australian team. Maybe having Muralitharan as a spin coach is really paying off :)

Comment

Working...
                                X