No announcement yet.

Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool , joint 1st in the prem ,even after shergar is sold to barca , woo hoo , cricket , wassat , :whome:

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      A lot of people here calling for Dhoni's head, but who will replace him as the captain? He clearly isn't made out for the test format, but there doesn't seem to be a replacement yet. Please no one suggest Kohli.
      Graeme Smith.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        First time in months I wish SB was still here.
        I'm still here.

I think we sucked badly after flattering to deceive early on.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently. Or at least the process is well underway and near complete. If India sucks at tests (and we do currently), and Indians lose interest in tests (already happening), test cricket will eventually die. That's what I see happening at the current rate with IPL and our one day dominance.

I hope it does not. But money controls cricket. And the money comes from one country and one people mainly.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
          I'm still here.
          So it appears. Really has been a shit week for WAB.

I think we sucked badly after flattering to deceive early on.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently. Or at least the process is well underway and near complete. If India sucks at tests (and we do currently), and Indians lose interest in tests (already happening), test cricket will eventually die. That's what I see happening at the current rate with IPL and our one day dominance.

I hope it does not. But money controls cricket. And the money comes from one country and one people mainly.
          Tests won't 'die', the will be killed because the country that is being allowed to control the game via money can't win them or make money off them. Both situations could be remedied, but that would require a bit of effort, so no chance there. It is not necessary for either money or India to control cricket, but greed & moral cowardice will probably win in the end. Hopefully by the time that happens I will be too old to care.

Don't worry SB, eventually India will create a version of cricket it can dominate, allowing people like you to make grandiose claims about the history of the game that rely on ignoring pretty much all of it. Mediocrity will carry the day.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

So it appears. Really has been a shit week for WAB.
            I'm stil here.

Tests won't 'die', the will be killed because the country that is being allowed to control the game via money can't win them or make money off them.
            Same thing. They will still die. Natural death or starvation. The result remains the same.

Both situations could be remedied, but that would require a bit of effort
            Not effort. It would require money. Bums on seats, orbs on screens.

India has the bums and the orbs. And the money follows.

Followed in turn by the cream of international talent.

It is not necessary for either money or India to control cricket, but greed & moral cowardice will probably win in the end. Hopefully by the time that happens I will be too old to care.
            Don't see what's greedy or immoral about people paying to watch what they want to watch.

Don't worry SB, eventually India will create a version of cricket it can dominate, allowing people like you to make grandiose claims about the history of the game that rely on ignoring pretty much all of it. Mediocrity will carry the day.
            You seem angry.

Can't say it matters greatly.
            Last edited by sated buddha; 12 Sep 14,, 10:46.

Comment

I'm stil here.

Same thing. They will still die. Natural death or starvation. The result remains the same.

Not effort. It would require money. Bums on seats, orbs on screens.

India has the bums and the orbs. And the money follows.

Followed in turn by the cream of international talent.

Don't see what's greedy or immoral about people paying to watch what they want to watch.

You seem angry.

Can't say it matters greatly.
              In typical fashion you know the price of everything & the value of nothing. In one week WAB loses one of its most valuable members & regains one of its least valuable in a blaze of shallow mediocrity.

You don't understand. You can't understand. You never will.
              sigpic

Comment

Used to watch Cricket more but not anymore specially after the attention is given to IPL and T-20's crap.

As I expected IPL turned out to be just a fixed match and its basically a Tamasha and not sports.Bowler has hard time and Batsman literally having a ball.

I still like to catch up Tests matches a bit when get time specially between England/Aus/SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
                  Used to watch Cricket more but not anymore specially after the attention is given to IPL and T-20's crap.

As I expected IPL turned out to be just a fixed match and its basically a Tamasha and not sports.Bowler has hard time and Batsman literally having a ball.

I still like to catch up Tests matches a bit when get time specially between England/Aus/SA.
                  The upcoming Australia v Pakistan series should be interesting. I don't know what the pitches in UAE are like. We have a strong team, but one that can be fragile. Pakistan is...well....Pakistan. They could beat the best & lose to the worst in a single week.

The Australia v India later this year should be interesting. Both teams have a bit to prove. We have the advantage, but only if we play as well as we can.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Australia v India later this year should be interesting. Both teams have a bit to prove. We have the advantage, but only if we play as well as we can.
                    Why do I have a very very bad feeling about this?
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Oh how I wish we could get a good test captain.
                      We have sufficient talent to manage a draw a every now and then and a win sometimes.
                      Outright series victories in Australia are impossible unless we can get some proper accurate test grade pacemen.
                      I hope Dhoni at least holds the defeat to 2-1 and avoids the pummeling we got in england.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I have given up hope for our test side. We are going to get whacked by the Aussies. Badly is what I safely predict.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Not unreasonable given what happened in England & last time you toured here. We'll get a better idea of where Australia is over the next month or so. We still have our fragilities, but India had to go for the jugular from the start. if we get the first win we won't take the proverbial boot off the throat.

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                          Oh how I wish we could get a good test captain.
                          We have sufficient talent to manage a draw a every now and then and a win sometimes.
                          Outright series victories in Australia are impossible unless we can get some proper accurate test grade pacemen.
                          I hope Dhoni at least holds the defeat to 2-1 and avoids the pummeling we got in england.
                          From my POV your biggest issue isn't bowling, but batting. That seems strange to say given india's strength over the past decade or so, but I think it is where you really struggle. We don't cope well with spin, so you can usually find bowlers to trouble us. It is the speed of our pitches that seems to hurt your batting. it is no coincidence that the team that did best here was the one loaded with outrageous batting talent. I think that was also the series where Kumble finally worked out how to bowl here. You need a few fast pitches in India where you can develop batsmen & bowlers.

I'm not going into this overconfident. We should win, but there are always surprises.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm still here.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently..
                            Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

All the fuddie duddies on Bradmans cricket board who wanted the ABC in control of broadcasting this great game, said what would happen if Kerry Packer got control.

However, it's not completely WSC fault. The way the world is now with rampant capatlism destroying the social fabric of just about everywhere, Cricket needs to stay relevant to other sports and sports fans.

Comment

Aussie Test Batsman Phillip Hughes Dies - Cricket News

Aussie Test Batsman Phillip Hughes Dies

Saddened by the News, RIP Phill,

I hope this will not make youngsters lose their confidence in learning and playing the game.

Comment

Very sad news for Australian Cricket.
                                Was a pretty innocuous bouncer, just horrendous bad luck to be hit in the one place where it would be fatal.
                                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                                X