Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

*Smith finished with 211, leading Australia to an unlikely 8/496. Smith now has 589 runs for the series.
    Remarkable performance, infact if he had not been forced out of the third test he might have had the chance to topple Bradman's record of 974 from 1930-31!

Comment

• Originally posted by InExile View Post
      Remarkable performance, infact if he had not been forced out of the third test he might have had the chance to topple Bradman's record of 974 from 1930-31!
      Indeed. He made another 82 in the second innings & was only out because he was clearly under instructions to throw the bat to get quick runs. The only other time he has missed a century this series was when he was almost killed by a thunderous bouncer. He is currently averaging over 130 for the series and only has to make a dozen or so runs in the next test to average 100.

Given 10 innings he would have given Bradman's record a serious shake.

He will have 5 home tests this summer, two against Pakistan & three against New Zealand and then a two test tour of Bangladesh after that. If he is in the same headspace for those tests he could rack up some serious runs. I don't know how long he can maintain this, but I'm glad I got to see it.

It is also important to acknowledge the other members of the team who have contributed to us retaining the Ashes. While the batting lineup has been been poor apart from Smith & Labuscagne, the bowling has been impressive. Cummins & Hazelwood are as good a new ball partnership as there is right now. Siddle, Starc & Pattinson have given fine support. Lyon took 9 wickets in the first test but has struggled since injuring his spinning finger.

Captain Tim Paine deserves a special mention. He became captain under trying circumstances and, with coach Langer, has done a great job with this team. I sincerely hope the temptation to put Smith back in the captain's seat as soon as he is eligible is avoided. Paine is doing a fine job and an unburdened Smith is worth two batsmen right now.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Hahahaha! The # 1 test team got thrashed by 10 wickets at home. And this is the second time, India lost by 10 wickets @ home. Overall 5th. Wicked!
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          Hahahaha! The # 1 test team got thrashed by 10 wickets at home. And this is the second time, India lost by 10 wickets @ home. Overall 5th. Wicked!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Feels-Bad-Man-Feels-Bad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1478589

Comment

• ^ I feel you. What I think is for the last 3-4 years there has been no consistency in the batting line up. Sure we won matches and series, but there is no hardcore consistency in the top 6, of who'll play, who'll be dropped, zero consistency in scoring too. Affects mentally, adding to their stress. Kohli is at # 4, while he used to bat at # 3. Only Allah knows what they're thinking. Take a player and stick with him for atleast 3 series. If he performs, stick with him, or give somebody else a chance. This is what Ganguly did with players like Sehwag, Yuvraj etc.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Congratulations Team India. India thrashed Australia 2-1 and won the ODI series. As always a series win against the Aussies is always welcome. Cherry on top, Mutton Biryani cooking. :D
              Last edited by Oracle; 20 Jan 20,, 03:11.

Comment

• U-19 World Cup: India beat Japan by 10 wickets

I never knew Japs play cricket.

Comment

• Zak Crawley maiden half century for England vs South Africa in Fourth Test (England lead 2-1 from the three Tests played so far).

Anyone heard about 4 day Test Match rubbish?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    Zak Crawley maiden half century for England vs South Africa in Fourth Test (England lead 2-1 from the three Tests played so far).

Anyone heard about 4 day Test Match rubbish?
                    Don't think that's happening.

Comment

• I am certainly against it but I believe it will put to a vote in the ICC?

Comment

I am certainly against it but I believe it will put to a vote in the ICC?
                        I am pro test cricket. But I don't think it will be put to a vote. Ex-cricketers are against it. T20 has massive economic potential and the time format is short, and hence less available days for cricketing nations to play test cricket. As far as I see, economic upsides always win, so maybe in the future we'll see test cricket being abandoned completely.

Comment

• Test criicket in my opinion is the truest and most pure form of the game. It requires discipline and patience, endurance and occasionally single person brilliance. Lose Test Cricket and the game is dead in it's highest form. Slogging competitions do not match.

Comment

Test criicket in my opinion is the truest and most pure form of the game. It requires discipline and patience, endurance and occasionally single person brilliance. Lose Test Cricket and the game is dead in it's highest form. Slogging competitions do not match.
                            Your and my opinion never mattered when it came to 'Big Money'.

Comment

• Cricket fans generate the money in cricket - and therefore the advertising revenue - no audience no advertisers. We need the truest form of the game to survive and aspire to - hell if I live to see a Ukrainian Test team play even Ireland or Zimbabwe let alone Australia, India or England - even a green and team house in my nearest town - I will watch and play or umpire or help however I can. Cricket is civilised and spreads civilisation and the highest form is Test cricket. It should have 'civilisational subsidies' if need be but the drama of the exciting Tests is beyond comparison with any other sport and civilises people with patience and the other virtues apart from fair play (apart from some Aussies).

Comment

Cricket fans generate the money in cricket - and therefore the advertising revenue - no audience no advertisers. We need the truest form of the game to survive and aspire to - hell if I live to see a Ukrainian Test team play even Ireland or Zimbabwe let alone Australia, India or England - even a green and team house in my nearest town - I will watch and play or umpire or help however I can. Cricket is civilised and spreads civilisation and the highest form is Test cricket. It should have 'civilisational subsidies' if need be but the drama of the exciting Tests is beyond comparison with any other sport and civilises people with patience and the other virtues
                                You got emotional. :D

apart from fair play (apart from some Aussies).
                                :D :D :D

Comment

Working...
                                X