Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1478201
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pak.png
Views:	2
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1478202

Semi-Finals:

Australia Vs New Zealand, NZ lost against Australia in the league match.
    India Vs England, India lost against England in the league match.

Bye bye Pakistan.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Not been following this world cup much nor a great fan of the one day game myself but I take England to win it. Let's then get back to proper Test cricket please and let Canada, Afghanistan etc join the Test teams.

Been trying to introduce the basics in Ukraine and we hope to have a starting 'league' of three Brigade teams here and one city team to play 20/20. I wrote to the ECB asking for an equipment fund or just send us some second hand stumps and pads etc but no reply so it takes time just getting the gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        Not been following this world cup much nor a great fan of the one day game myself but I take England to win it. Let's then get back to proper Test cricket please and let Canada, Afghanistan etc join the Test teams.
        Afghanistan have Test status, as do Ireland & Zimbabwe. There aren't any other nations currently who are worthy of Test status, and most would argue that Zim would not get it currently if it had not already had it before being suspended. They have just lost an ODI series to Ireland & struggled against the Netherlands, a team largely composed of Sth African, Australian & other overseas born players who would struggle to play the equivalent of county cricket in their own nations. Holland is my standing 'second' team in international sport, and even I wouldn't argue for them getting Test status.

Canada are truly awful right now. A few years back a Canadian club team containing a few former internationals & one of the national team selectors came to Australia & played my club team. We are one step up from backyard cricket. The Canadian players were better than us, but not dramatically so (we recently played a Danish team that was better!). They were not optimistic about cricket in Canada. Recent results suggest they are correct. Canada has dropped to the equivalent of the 4th division of world cricket, having lost to Hong Kong, Oman & Namibia in a recent tournament (they did beat the USA, however). I suspect your recently arrived baby will play Test cricket before Canada does. ;-)

Been trying to introduce the basics in Ukraine and we hope to have a starting 'league' of three Brigade teams here and one city team to play 20/20. I wrote to the ECB asking for an equipment fund or just send us some second hand stumps and pads etc but no reply so it takes time just getting the gear.
        Good luck with that Snapper. I would cast my net wider than just the ECB. There might be wealthy individuals or former cricketers willing to help (I believe one of the Getty family is a cricket nut). I'm not sure if there are any former English Test or county players with links to Ukraine/Poland. Maybe even county or club teams would be prepared to donate gear if you or your family have any connections. Sometimes it just takes one person. A worthy cause.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• My mind says it will be an Australia Vs England final, with Australia winning the cup for the 6th time.

Every team has its off day, but what is it that Australia does better than the current Indian team or any other team? Australia play as a unit, and its players don't feel they're entitled to any shit, whatever some Australians might feel. When they make a mistake, they mostly own up. And in cases they don't, one can see the intense desire to win. Desire leads to discipline. I don't think, in my growing up years I've seen any other team as disciplined as the Australians. Each player know their role well, and play with responsibility. This current Australian side is no better than the one which had greats like Glen, Pointing, Gilchrist, Hayden, Lee and others. But they always compete intensely. They study the weaknesses of their opposition. They do their homework. And on the day of the match, they are the best prepared team. They don't play to win, they play for glory. It's in the DNA of their team. Wish I could say the same thing about any other team.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• We are aiming for 500 runs: Sarfaraz

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Afghanistan have Test status, as do Ireland & Zimbabwe.
              I honestly did not know Afghanistan and Ireland had test cricket teams! I knew Zimbabwe did. I look forward to seeing Afghanistan play Pakistan some day.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              There might be wealthy individuals or former cricketers willing to help (I believe one of the Getty family is a cricket nut). I'm not sure if there are any former English Test or county players with links to Ukraine/Poland. Maybe even county or club teams would be prepared to donate gear if you or your family have any connections. Sometimes it just takes one person. A worthy cause.
              I am a persistent pain if nothing else. We'll find some second hand stuff somewhere on ebay or something. Enough to get two teams in whites on a Sunday afternoon and to start interest in the game while I nag the ECB and others. The Ukrainian locals are eager spectators - I suppose it is a curiosity for them but hopefully some of players will get the meaning of cricket and the ethics it brings and go on with it. If I live to see Ukraine host a national cricket match with a national team I will know that civilization has at least in part arrived and not all my efforts were in vain.
              Last edited by snapper; 05 Jul 19,, 05:14.

Comment

• ^ Cricket kits are cheaper in India. Second hand stuff would cost peanuts, so if you know anyone living in any Indian metro, try to get it from here.

Maybe a tweet to Virat Kohli & BCCI would help. Write a nice, long FB post. Then link that FB post in a new tweet, then send that tweet to Kohli's & BCCI's twitter account. That might help. Maybe they won't even read your tweet, or reply. I don't know. No harm in trying.

When you pitch for something, you have to do that in a sequential order.

#1. The problem
                #2. The solution
                #3. Market size
                #4. Competition
                #5. The product
                #6. Competitive advantages
                #7. Features
                #8. Traction
                #9. User engagement
                #10. Business model
                #11. Revenue forecast
                #12. Use of funds (personnel, marketing, travel, advertisement),
                #13. Management team
                #14. Advisors

Though not all points are relevant to your request for equipment fund, pick whatever you think is relevant, and work on it (explain with bullet points) and send it to ECB again, and also other wealthy people as well as former cricketers as BF said. I think then, you'd get lucky. Do it the right way, and raise a couple of million dollars. I will have a Stella, thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  I honestly did not know Afghanistan and Ireland had test cricket teams! I knew Zimbabwe did. I look forward to seeing Afghanistan play Pakistan some day.
                  Zimbabwe had a great team in the late 90s & early 2000s but a combination of politics & time has gutted them of their best talent. Ireland has played 2 Tests, one against Pakistan & one against Afghanistan - lost both. I think Australia is playing them after the Ashes this year. Afghanistan has played India & Ireland (see below). They have some very good bowlers and are developing fast. Their first match against Pakistan will be a sight to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_...9319#Only_Test

One of the great moments of the last World Cup (and cricket generally for me) was Afghanistan's first WC win. The emotion on the faces of those young men was something to see. Many of them had grown up in refugee camps & none could recall a time before their nation was at war. The gravity of that win & the pride they has was enough to make a grown man shed a tear (this one did).

I am a persistent pain if nothing else. We'll find some second hand stuff somewhere on ebay or something. Enough to get two teams in whites on a Sunday afternoon and to start interest in the game while I nag the ECB and others. The Ukrainian locals are eager spectators - I suppose it is a curiosity for them but hopefully some of players will get the meaning of cricket and the ethics it brings and go on with it. If I live to see Ukraine host a national cricket match with a national team I will know that civilization has at least in part arrived and not all my efforts were in vain.
                  Keep plugging away Snapper, I like your missionary impulse. You might even find a sympathetic politician somewhere prepared to put up a few hundred or thousand dollars required (though perhaps avoiding the morass of Ukrainian politics would be wise ;-) ). I hope one day to see young men & women in sky blue & yellow caps taking to an international field somewhere.
                  sigpic

Comment

• I really wish the cricket boards look past their own selves and look towards expanding the sport in other nations. Surely cricket becoming a globally popular sport will be lucrative and worth their effort eventually?

If not for India, England would have been my choice for this world cup.

Comment

• ^ Heart says India. Mind says Australia.

Comment

• Funnily enough, the entire Australian team has found their mojo just in time for this year's cup.

The English should win just so they can finally have their maiden trophy, they sure have the team for it. NZ would have been nice too but they seem to have lost their mojo again just in time. (The Aussies must have stolen it lol)

India could very well pull it off but the loss of Dhawan was a big blow given our middle order inconsistencies.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                          Funnily enough, the entire Australian team has found their mojo just in time for this year's cup.
                          No one here can really believe it. A couple of months out no one would have been surprised if we'd missed the semis. We still have holes. Numbers 5 & 6 in the batting are a black hole, we still have to fill 10 overs with some pretty ordinary bowling & we still need Starc to fire up against good bowling. On the other hand, we have ditched them crap change bowlers and other than the two mentioned spots the batting looks solid - Carey has been a revelation at 7 (also talented enough at Aussie Rules to spend several years on a senior list).

The English should win just so they can finally have their maiden trophy, they sure have the team for it. NZ would have been nice too but they seem to have lost their mojo again just in time. (The Aussies must have stolen it lol)
                          England have established a fine tradition of losing WC finals, three and counting. It would be a pity for them to besmirch that fine record. :-)

I'm not sure NZ had all that much 'mojo' to lose. They got rained out against India & lost to England & Aust. Other than the eternally fickle Pakistan there is a fair quality gap with the rest. NZ has a typical NZ team - between 3 & 5 quality players surrounded by people who range from quality first class players to blokes who would struggle in a below average county team. Basically they don't have any margin for error against quality teams - everything has to go right. They can beat us, but they have to play really, really well.

India could very well pull it off but the loss of Dhawan was a big blow given our middle order inconsistencies.
                          Everyone has holes in their team, which is good & bad. It makes thing more interesting.
                          sigpic

Comment

• I was banking on Australia to win their last league match against South Africa. Seems like, a score in excess of 330, Australia will find it hard to chase it.

Top teams in the tournament now:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1478211

Semifinals:
                            India Vs New Zealand, league match was abandoned due to rain.
                            Australia Vs England, Australia won their league game against England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              No one here can really believe it. A couple of months out no one would have been surprised if we'd missed the semis. We still have holes. Numbers 5 & 6 in the batting are a black hole, we still have to fill 10 overs with some pretty ordinary bowling & we still need Starc to fire up against good bowling. On the other hand, we have ditched them crap change bowlers and other than the two mentioned spots the batting looks solid - Carey has been a revelation at 7 (also talented enough at Aussie Rules to spend several years on a senior list).
                              Can't blame them. Suddenly losing your two best batsmen by far for a whole year will wreck any team. It is like India losing Rohit Sharma and Kohli. We would struggle to beat Ireland with that team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                I was banking on Australia to win their last league match against South Africa. Seems like, a score in excess of 330, Australia will find it hard to chase it.
                                Why? I was always hoping SA would win. We didn't get an India-NZ match because of the rain. Now we will. We have already played everyone else at least once.

Also it was nice seeing the South Africans finally winning against a strong team after having a terrible world cup in general. And they have some major scores to settle against the Australians in World Cups and although this match was inconsequential for them it might be consequential for Australia. They would have definitely preferred to play NZ rather than England in the semis.

Comment

Working...
                                X