Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    Cricket is not followed by the head, but by the heart. If you need to analyse and decide on "participation", you are indeed better off watching some other sport. Golf or chess maybe.
    Of course there is heart in cricket, otherwise it wouldn't be fun. But what makes it special is that there is much more on offer.
    I enjoy the ebb and flow of a proper game, plan and counter plan and so on.
    You are a go by the gut and feel everything person it seems, I begin to see how you enjoy T20 so much.

Why? Because "Northies" are crass and break bones and "Southies" are timid rassam sipping puppies who get beaten up?

Talk about jaundiced prejudices and pigeon-holing man .....
    Your earlier reply was a pretty standard northie dialogue. I am tough and break bones and you are sissies.
    If you felt pigeonholed, my apologies.
    Last edited by bolo121; 02 Apr 14,, 12:16.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
      Of course there is heart in cricket, otherwise it wouldn't be fun. But what makes it special is that there is much more on offer.
      I enjoy the ebb and flow of a proper game, plan and counter plan and so on.
      You are a go by the gut and feel everything person it seems, I begin to see how you enjoy T20 so much.
      I enjoy all cricket. And we were not talking about cricket per se, but specifically (in this interplay) cricket against Pakistan. If you do not have heart there, then it can only mean one of two things. Neither very complimentary I'm afraid.

Your earlier reply was a pretty standard northie dialogue. I am tough and break bones and you are sissies.
      If the shoe fits...
      Well, speaking of shoes, your original comment with regard to school hockey to which I replied in the first place was pretty standard momma-boy meets speco nerd sissy stuff.

If the shoe fits .....

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        I enjoy all cricket. And we were not talking about cricket per se, but specifically (in this interplay) cricket against Pakistan. If you do not have heart there, then it can only mean one of two things. Neither very complimentary I'm afraid.
        Just because I am not interested in sports as a substitute for jingoism... I dont see what you are going on about.

Well, speaking of shoes, your original comment with regard to school hockey to which I replied in the first place was pretty standard momma-boy meets speco nerd sissy stuff.

If the shoe fits .....
        Mammas boy accusations? Again this is typical Northie over macho posturing.
        I admit freely that I am not physically strong and do have powerful prescription glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
          Just because I am not interested in sports as a substitute for jingoism... I dont see what you are going on about.
          Jingoism, fascism. Do you also carry a jhola to go with those specs?

Mammas boy accusations? Again this is typical Northie over macho posturing.
          I admit freely that I am not physically strong and do have powerful prescription glasses.
          I'm not surprised.

Just know this. A healthy strong active kid who likes sports and who might break a bone or two growing up (his own or someone else's - I've done both) does not automatically become a macho northie.

Just like a frail kid with fat specs who does not or cannot play sport does not automatically become a pansie southie.

Hope that puts things neatly into the respective pigeon holes you so obviously like lumping people you've never met into.

What I did say, before you misconstrued (probably a result of being picked on growing up), was that I was the latter and I had known many kids who were the former. And you sounded like one. Nothing judgmental or macho. Just the way different kids are.
          Last edited by sated buddha; 02 Apr 14,, 13:10.

Comment

Cricket the great game of all...

I wouldn't usually put a hate in a thread I have little to no interest, but such an absolutistic title provokes. Sure it is The Greatest. For avoiding. No other game I would avoid more.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

^Cease and desist, you!

Comment

Deleted as derailed the thread away from cricket.
                Last edited by bolo121; 03 Apr 14,, 04:12.

Comment

Can you guys please create another thread for your catfight and leave this one alone?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    , but T20 is a fickle beast where a few overs can turn a game on its head.
                    Is that why you are not as interested in T20? ofcourse the aussies are decisively more dominant at test cricket where a larger pool of players are required...

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Cricket the great game of all...

I wouldn't usually put a hate in a thread I have little to no interest, but such an absolutistic title provokes. Sure it is The Greatest. For avoiding. No other game I would avoid more.
                    I like alot of sports, but cricket was never one of them. That said, T50, and T20 have grown on me. I find test cricket lacks the condensed excitement that I enjoy in sport, plus T20 provides upsets and allows smaller nations with fewer players to be competitive, a major plus in a sport that lacks competitive nations. I'm irish, and could be accused of bias as Ireland are very competitive at T20 where the quota for quality players is smaller, and with batsmen in particular, we have enough to get by.

Test cricket is for the purists, but tradition aside, I would be interested in hearing technical, objective arguments to why it is the best format from the spectators point of view, from those who hold that opinion.

Comment

Tantalus,

No time now, but I'll formulate answers soon.

Dok,

To be fair, Cricket is the equal greatest with Aussie Rules, but the title was too clunky.

SB & Bolo, can we keen the discussion on cricket?

To all - cricket inspires brilliance like this. Enjoy.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Think of test cricket as a narrative - it's a test of persistence and grit. T20s and ODIs have their own merits, but they are hindered by the fact that they represent only the shiniest and uppermost layers of cricket - in other words they are a fraction of what this sport can truly deliver. Obviously, this is not the case for every test match or ODI.

For test matches the games goes on and on - you played good for an hour and a half? Well done but the job is not finished, you have another day (or more) to keep the ball rolling. All it takes is one session to completely alter the direction of the match. The objective is not limited to winning or losing the match in it's totality, but can morph from session to session. You might be losing the game from the start of day one, but suddenly a spirited performance or two boosts the teams moral and they end up saving the match. A draw can be a win in test cricket!

Needless to say, test cricket facilitates an equal competition between the bat and the ball. Limited overs cricket is heavily skewed against the bowler and enables batsmen to score runs with relative ease. Test cricket on the other hand has no such limitations, so runs scored in test matches are harder to come by and require a lot more skill and temperament.

And the most important point of all, test cricket has Tea breaks!
                        Last edited by DarthSiddius; 02 Apr 14,, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
                          ofcourse the aussies are decisively more dominant at test cricket where a larger pool of players are required...
                          This thread is more entertaining than the aussie top order. WE SHALL SOON FIND OUT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Tantalus,

No time now, but I'll formulate answers soon.
                            Well, don't get too carried away, :)

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                            Think of test cricket as a narrative - it's a test of persistence and grit. T20s and ODIs have their own merits, but they are hindered by the fact that they represent only the shiniest and uppermost layers of cricket - in other words they are a fraction of what this sport can truly deliver. Obviously, this is not the case for every test match or ODI.

For test matches the games goes on and on - you played good for an hour and a half? Well done but the job is not finished, you have another day (or more) to keep the ball rolling. All it takes is one session to completely alter the direction of the match. The objective is not limited to winning or losing the match in it's totality, but can morph from session to session. You might be losing the game from the start of day one, but suddenly a spirited performance or two boosts the teams moral and they end up saving the match. A draw can be a win in test cricket!

Needless to say, test cricket facilitates an equal competition between the bat and the ball. Limited overs cricket is heavily skewed against the bowler and enables batsmen to score runs with relative ease. Test cricket on the other hand has no such limitations, so runs scored in test matches are harder to come by and require a lot more skill and temperament.

And the most important point of all, test cricket has Tea breaks!
                            I hear you and I understand, but if any sport goes on a very long time it can benefit from that narrative concept . It's a good point regarding favour to the batsmen and in test cricket they have to be far more careful, but from the spectator view, on balance, I am incline to see that as a disadvantage, the bowler still requires skill to prevent the batsmen from making those boundaries in T20, but we also get to see alot more point scoring action, plus tight finishes and high scoring overs or overs with multiple wickets lost.
                            Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                            This thread is more entertaining than the aussie top order. WE SHALL SOON FIND OUT!!!!
                            Ah well, that was mostly meant as tongue in cheek...

Comment

Sorry guys, got carried away on a boring afternoon.

Will keep it on cricket from now on.

Comment

I do agree T50 and T20 are heavily skewed in the favor of the batters. But that is really not all that hard to remedy. Remove the restrictions on the fielding side. Let them pack which part of the field they wish. Just prevent them from bowling wide or negative. That's no fun for anyone. Bowl all the bouncers you wish (well .... at least 3 .... 6 per over could be the equivalent of bowling wide or negative down the leg side). No free hits crap please. And for the T50, divid it into two innings of 25 overs each. Effectively even out the really unfair artificila light and dew factors which is often the 12th man.

Test cricket simply put as a spectator sport (unless played out on consecutive weekends) is simply not an option for the majority of the working demographic. I don't think cricket would be the same (pure or not) without the participation of spectators. And like all modern sport, spectators and eyeballs mean money. Everyone needs to be paid.
                                Last edited by sated buddha; 03 Apr 14,, 06:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X