No announcement yet.

Ukraine Elections and Political Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independence Day parade in Kyiv. For the first time this year female soldiers marched;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DlXEuKjWsAANWVy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1477171

Meanwhile the well known Muscovite car producer... Kalashnikov has produced it's prototype electric "supercar":

Name:	_103152011_hi048809907.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1477172

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45292028

Comment

• Zakharchenko, the self styled "Prime Minister of the Donetsk Peoples Republic" killed in a bomb blast today.

Comment

• Good riddance.

Hopefully this is only just Zakharchenko outliving his usefulness to Putin, rather than a false flag, like Gleiwitz, that's start to something.

Comment

• Looks like Igor Plotnitsky got away lightly.

Don't think it's a 'Gleiwitz' style false flag as they been doing this fairly regularly; 'Motorola' and 'Givi' both got bumped off. Also they are preparing for 'Vostok 2018' Exercises in the east.
          Last edited by snapper; 01 Sep 18,, 10:14.

Comment

• US ready to boost arms supplies to Ukraine naval and air forces, envoy says

How much of this will have any effect on the ground remains to be seen. No country is going to fight Ukraine's war.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• There are already Chechen, Polish, Belarusian, Croat, Serbian, Lithuanian, Swedish and yes even Muscovite men and Ladies, fighting for Ukraine. I had a British and a Polish passport in 2014, now only a Ukrainian one. Because it is "For our freedom and yours" and we understand that. But you say nobody else?

Comment

• Yeah, I see lost territory.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• I see... Do forgive my mistake. Foolish of me to mistake your comment regarding nobody else being interested in fighting for Ukraine for the obvious complaint that we have not yet liberated the occupied areas. I fully agree with you; we should advance but there are political and practical constraints. What we have seen is the Muscovite army stopped in it's tracks at first by volunteers - who nearly won it alone - for four years when in 2014 they were speaking of "being in Kyiv in two weeks" and all their Novyrossia nonsense. In the meantime whole swathes of reforms have been implemented and army has been created.

Comment

• You've seen what Garry said here.

Comment

• Indeed and I will be interested to see if he is willing to call Putin a liar or not. For me that is not a problem.

There are so many contradictions in Garry's comments it's untrue. Speaking of Georgia he says "Another issue is - I doubt Russia has capability or willingness to occupy and control Georgia.... it would require lots of resources and will give no benefit." If Muscovy does not have the resources to occupy Georgia how is it possible for them to occupy a far larger country like Ukraine?
                      Last edited by snapper; 04 Sep 18,, 13:53.

Comment

• Sorry to open a can of worms, but why do you call Russians Muscovites?

Comment

• Lol, well it is a long story about history which I shall private message you or put in the history section if you wish but mostly because I am at heart a historian, know about the history of the Slavic countries and think it matters. It is like asking why I object to Putin referring to Anna of Kyiv (who married Henry l of France in 1051) as "Anne of Russia": Moscow nor the Principality of Moscow - let alone the Muscovite Empire - never even existed when Anne of Kyiv, a Princess of Kyivan Rus married a French King nearly a thousand yrs ago.

Likewise they claim 'Vladimir the Great' (Volodymyr in Ukrainian), the first Knaz (King or Prince) of Kyiv and Novgorod to adopt the Orthodox faith as their own but Moscow nor it's later iterations did not exist. The truth is priests from Kyiv took Christianity elsewhere.

Again the Tsars used to refer to themselves as "Tsars of all the Rus" but after the Soviets took over they appropriated the historical name that derived from old Kyivan Rus entirely for their own. Thus they claim that Ukrainians and Muscovites are the "same people" or that Ukraine is just "little Russia"; it belongs to Moscow being the prime claim based on this theft of history and name. So by calling "Russia" what it truly is - a Muscovite Empire - I assert the historical fact and deny their claim to my home - which since my family lived in what is now Western Ukraine (in the 15th Century) was mostly in Poland or the Austro Hungarian Empire anyway.

Basically I deny their right to use the heritage of others so they cannot make the claims that proceed. I hope that provides some explanation.

Comment

• So a bit of religious politics has been going between Ukraine and the Muscovite Church under Kirill of Moscow. Just to give some background there was a reason why Pussy Riot got protested in a Church (and later went to prison for it) that time - the Moscow Church has rights to import cigarettes and alcohol which they sell for a profit; one some lines they have a monopoly so they are not entirely holier than thou but are big Putin supporters - they likely have to pay a percentage of their profits to him for these economic privileges.

So I cannot claim to be an expert of Orthodox Church law or Churches in Ukraine - I am a Polish Ukrainian and a Catholic but as far as I understand it there are three Ukrainian Orthodox Churches: the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (the Moscow Patriarchate), run directly from Moscow, Ukrainian Orthodox Church Kyiv Patriarchate, which is regarded as 'schismatic' by Moscow and has been unrecognised by other Orthodox churches until now and lastly the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church who are more in line with the Kyiv Patriarchate Orthodox. To add to the confusion there is a fourth Church, particularly in Western Ukraine; the Greco Roman (or Greek Catholic) Church which practices the Orthodox rights and Services but recognises the Pope as it's head.

The fight that has been going on is between Kyiv and Moscow Patriarchates. Here is a brief historical explanation by a Greek Catholic Priest:

Here is the Synods decision today:

Basically they have annulled the 1686 claim of Moscow Patriarchate to ownership of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, said that the Kyiv Patriarchate is now not schismatic and are clearly on course to grant the Kyiv Patriarchate autocephaly meaning the Ukrainian church will answer to Constantinople Patriarchate rather than Moscow Patriarchate.

For some obviously this is a big deal - not sure I see it myself but certainly a step forward no matter.

Comment

• Comment

• There are some fears - and possible reasons stated - regarding a coming full scale Muscovite attack on Ukraine in the near future.

First let's deal with the possible motivations: First the West is a mess, Trumpkin is clearly compromised, Angela Merkel soon to stand down, Britain in convolutions over Brexit and Paris going for broke on so called "Yellow Jackets" (or "giletsjaunes") riots which Muscovite social media (and TV Channels) are doing their best to inflame. Indeed there is some reason to suppose Moscow supports this rioting in Moscow;

These Gentlemen are 'aides' to Marine Le Pen and have indeed visited the occupied areas in Donbass;

So sufficient mess in the West is reason No 1. The next reason is that a synod is due of all Ukrainian Churches (even the Catholic Bishop is invited) to decide who will run and how will the coming autonomous Ukrainian Orthodox Church work since the granting of the 'Tomos' by the Ecumenical Patriarch. Since the Ukrainian Orthodox Church was, for the most part, a branch of the Moscow Patriarchate and will now be independent - under Constantinople. However some Parishes, and perhaps Bishops, may be enticed or by their own free will chose to remain affiliated to the Muscovite Patriarchate. Any hint of inter Patriarchate conflict in what is supposed to be a free choice for all congregations and clergy would perhaps serve as a pretext (though a very flimsy one) for Moscow to "intervene" on behalf of the "true believers" or some such (nonsense). Seems mad I know but in Church terms, as far as I understand it, this would mean the Moscow Patriarchate losing about a third of their Churches worldwide; and the income from them. If they do not accept it an 'anathema' may be pronounced on them - making them tantamount to heretical.

The third reason is simple; Putin's approval ratings and not as good as perhaps he would like - largely due to a stagnant economy which caused them to raise the ages at which men and women may receive a state pension.

Fourthly is also simple; what consequence have they suffered from since the attack on Ukrainian ships near the Kerch Strait? "Grave concern" etc does not bother them.

So there is some evidence of this may be the plan to. 18km from the Internationally recognised border, here;

Name:	1000w_q95-5-min-1024x734.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1477749

is what can only be described as a 'tank park' which looks like this;

Name:	Dt38Tj1W0AA_F_a-min-1024x664.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1477750

Name:	DtuOtJIXcAAX515-min-1024x642.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1477751

Poroshenko asserts they have increased their troops numbers on the borders nearly twofold. It is not doubled but has increased and nuclear capable systems have been deployed in Crimea.

The current so called 'Donetsk Peoples Republik' "Defence Minister" is also warning that Ukraine plans a chemical attack on December 14th; this attack will, according to him, involve blowing up an "ammonia plant" in Mariupol. Presumably he believes some big fan will waft the resulting chemical gas in the intended direction while leaving all the residents of Mariupol safe. Absurd obviously but this is the day the Synod starts. We know Moscow has no qualms about using chemical weapons...

Finally the Muscovite Central Bank has warned other State owned banks recently to prepare alternatives in the case of a SWIFT cut off. Why now? Why do they think such a sanction may be imposed in the near future?

To me it doesn't it does not matter that much personally where we dance - for dance we must. I would prefer to dance on their land - and I think it actually safer to do so (they less likely to nuke their own people). If they come - good. The Ukrainian Armed Forces are vastly improved from 2014 in every way. They will pay a heavy price and incur further sanctions. Nor can they realistically - financially or militarily - hold all Ukraine so the war would continue.

Today Poroshenko also signed the end the 'Eternal Friendship Treaty'.

So make of it what you will. I personally doubt they want a dance off but may be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X