Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526

Thread: Ukraine Elections and Political Developments

Banned Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to assume that all or even most who voted for Yulia in the first round will vote for Poroshenko in the second. Boyko was a Moscow candidate from the start and to promote himself and another traitor and oligarch Medvedchuk went to Moscow together and "negotiated a great gas deal" for Ukraine - which would be operable if Boyko won. Turned out their "great gas deal" was more expensive per cubic meter than the deals Naftogaz (the Ukrainian state owned gas supplier) has now with European allies. Kind of ended of them and both are under investigation for various criminal offences.

Since then the second round has descended into a farce regarding drug testing of all things. People were asking for a debate between the two candidates left so the comedian put out a video;

So drug tests were done - Poroshenko turned up on time at a WADA testing facility and Zelinsky turned up late at a private clinic where apparently he only had a blood test (as opposed to blood, urine and hair test Poroshenko undertook).

In the meantime Zelinsky had called for Yulia Tymoshenko to be the 'chair' of the debate and Poroshenko released a similar glossy video which I cannot find an English translation to go with it but you can find here; https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-zele.../29861296.html

Yesterday the Mayor of Kyiv, the former boxer Vitali Klitschko, challenged both candidates to turn up at the Olympic Stadium together for a further round of drug tests. Poroshenko turned up and Zelensky did not.

We had the opportunity to meet Zelensky recently (my Husband and I) and while I think he may be pleasant enough company at dinner I would say he is useless and clueless on policy and to some extent reality. I shall be voting for Poroshenko as a devil we know rather than a clown we don't.
    Thanks for your explanation.

Senior Contributor
    So yesterday the long awaited 'debate' between Poroshenko and Zelensky took place in the Olympic Stadium. This after last Friday Zelensky failed to turn up for a debate and has spent most of last week posting instagram/facebook videos of 'Ze' doing pressups and pullups etc... The 'debate' itself turned into more of a slagging match than any debate about the issues facing the country and how best to deal with them. You can see it in English on RT here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUuAMi2jls

Turns out over 2m Muscovites watched this show and that I think is a victory in itself in a country used to Putin's same boring monologue for nearly 20yrs. The very fact that over 2m Muscovites can see some form of democracy actually happening in a neighbouring nation which has defied Putin and his criminal gang for five years must cause fear in the hearts of the criminal Cheka.

Senior Contributor
    Meanwhile the General Staff have issued what appears to be a public rebuke of Zelensky who referred to the enemy in occupied Donbass as "rebels";

Генеральний штаб ЗСУ
    ‏Verified account @GeneralStaffUA
    16h16 hours ago

«We do not have «rebels». We have Russian aggression» - reminder of the President of Ukraine – Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The Armed Forces of Ukraine will not forget and will not forgive about that. Never!!!

Senior Contributor
    Zelensky wins with 72.7% of the vote. Poroshenko has conceded but says he will not leave politics and contribute to opposition.
    Last edited by snapper; 21 Apr 19, at 19:31.

Senior Contributor
    Five years of war between Ukrainian troops and Russian-backed forces have killed 13,000 people despite a notional ceasefire signed in 2015.

Russia’s move is an early test for the Ukrainian president-elect Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who won a landslide victory in Sunday’s presidential election and has pledged to find a peaceful solution to the conflict.

Zelenskiy said Putin’s action showed Russia was waging war in Ukraine and brought the two sides no closer to peace. He called for the international community to threaten Russia with more sanctions. Outgoing President Petro Poroshenko said Russia might try to annex the Donbass region. The United States called the Putin’s action “absurd and destabilizing”.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1S01LU

Firstly this is a clear violation of Ukrainian law in which an individual can legally hold one passport (despite some well known crooks, such as Gennadiy Trukhanov the Mayor of Odessa, being shown to also to have Muscovite passport in the Panama Papers). As it is a clear attempt to breach Ukrainian law it is also contrary to the spirit if not the wording of the Minsk agreements.

Personally I do not have problem with them if they want to go live in the Great Despotism; you are free to leave our territory if you wish but not stay on it and break the law.

Thread Information