No announcement yet.

Hubble pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always have to remind myself that anytime we look at something so far away we are actually looking far back in time. It makes me wonder how many things we can see in the sky that no longer exist.

Comment

That's why I keep my interest mostly within the solar system, it's unlikely as much got extinguished within the last week* until we see it...

* given an arbitrary limit of around 1500 AU for objects bigger than comets that actually penetrate to within the heliopause.

Comment

Luna and Terra, as seen by the chinese Chang'e 5 Test Vehicle engineering mission that's currently on a once-around-the-moon-and-back-to-earth trip testing technology for the Chang'e 5 sample return mission.

Officially published by the Chinese National Space Agency through Xinhua. Sort of rare for them to do that.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
          Officially published by the Chinese National Space Agency through Xinhua. Sort of rare for them to do that.
          I am looking forward to when Chinese institutions are confident enough to become more transparent so we can see cool stuff like this. From what I understand, the idea of "losing face" with failure has a much bigger stigma attached to it in Eastern culture than in the West. If that's the case I may be in for a long wait.

Comment

Ever since they started the Chang'e lunar exploration program, they've been releasing quite a lot actually. For Chang'e-2, you can easily find as much stuff online as for contemporary probes by ESA or NASA such as LCROSS.

For the rover Yutu (with Chang'e-3) also through their ongoing public outreach campaign via the rover's Weibo account (Chinese counterpart to Facebook).

Comment

NASA Rocket Experiment Finds the Universe Brighter Than We Thought | NASA

Comment

Kepler doing a great job

NASA?s Kepler Reborn, Makes First Exoplanet Find of New Mission | NASA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                  I am looking forward to when Chinese institutions are confident enough to become more transparent so we can see cool stuff like this.
                  China has made an archive of pictures from the Chang'e lunar mission series public now:

嫦娥一号二维数据展现 (Chang'e-1 - lunar orbiter)
                  嫦娥二号二维数据展现 (Chang'e-2 - lunar orbiter and asteroid flyby)
                  嫦娥二号二维数据展现 (Chang'e-3 / Yutu - lunar lander and rover)

嫦娥三维维数据展现 (3D pictures constructed from Chang'e-1 data)
                  嫦娥一号视频动画 (short movies from Chang'e-3 mission)

Includes high-resolution color pictures from the lunar surface. Below samples posted at half resolution. Note: Chang'e-2 pictures do not include flyby of 4179 Toutatis, since the archive is about the lunar program only.

Image Source: Chinese Academy of Sciences
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Hubble Space Telescope, which in 2015 completes 25 years in orbit, has gathered dramatic new views of two well-known celestial objects.

Revisiting one of its earliest and most famous photos, a new view of the Eagle Nebula shows its "Pillars of Creation" in more detail than ever before.

And a composite of 13,000 shots of our neighbouring Andromeda Galaxy becomes the telescope's biggest ever image.

BBC News - Hubble returns to 'old friends' for 25th anniversary

Old favourites in a new light
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      I'm actually waiting more for the first results from Gaia.
                      Gaia Data Release 2 was published on April 28th, basically containing data of all observations between 2014 and 2016. Contains the full five-parameter astrometic solutions for 1.3 billion objects including about 14,100 within the Solar System.

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/dr2

Database frontends such as SIMBAD are currently working to integrate Gaia DR2 data.

Comment

Working...
                      X