Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supposing North Korea and South Korea reunified tomorrow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crocodylus View Post
    Would it be possible for NK and SK to duke it out on their own? This would be the ideal situation, I think, but Korea would be "too big to fail", so US and China would have to get involved, even if only as suppliers.

The only way to avert that would be to have KJU or the next Kim covertly assassinated and a kagemusha put in his place. Or a less violent approach may be more desirable. The objective would be to hijack the NK government and manipulate its policy-making organs. Although, this and more may have been anticipated and so countermeasures have probably been put in place to prevent this.

A better scenario would be if SK could trade openly with NK and allow the South's cultural influence to penetrate NK society. It would, over time, help raise the living standards of the Northerners and make it easier for NK to integrate with SK. However, the result of this social and cultural change would make the Kims' house of cards collapse. If the change were to happen at a glacial pace, the Kims could either adapt themselves to stay in the game or obfuscate the change so that, at least fundamentally, things are as they've always been.

Also, I still think Beijing has a vested interest in keeping KJU in power, even if he's been acting a bit uppity lately and causing the Chinese to feel embarrassed in the process. It's possible that, even if USKOR decided to pull out of Korea entirely, the Chinese - and Japanese - would feel uneasy about a reunified Korea, whether DPRK or ROK is running it.
    China is not going to let the North loose. OOE has presented better points then my own about the borders and a mad rush of refugees over China's border which they wont allow to happen even know China prefers the Kims in NK.

Outside of that any attack on SK is going to be an attck on the US given the amount of troops stationed there.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      Or someone in the north comes up with a way to... dispose... of Kim & Co...
      Well, you tell me, his own kin gets clipped not in a good way either. The Kims are no strangers to "the night of the long knives" as history has shown. No generations of them have been.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Apr 14,, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodylus View Post
        Something that has not been mentioned here is that, if China does ultimately decide to invade NK, the groundwork will likely be done well before the first PLA units cross the Yalü. For one, Beijing may seek ways to reduce to almost nil the influence that the Kims have over their subjects, at least so that there is no real threat of having to fight hostile civilians as well as military units. As well, Beijing will want to make friends with SK and Japan so that they do not become too interested in NK once things go downhill.

Or Beijing might even pull some puppet strings from behind the scenes and arrange a quiet changing of the guard in P'yeongyang. However, they would have to pull this off without provoking a civil war, which would give rise to a mass exodus of war refugees.
        China would provoke immediate reprisal from the US because of the troops being attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          China would provoke immediate reprisal from the US because of the troops being attacked.
          How would U.S. troops be attacked in that scenario?

Comment

If North and South Korea reunited tomorrow it would implode a few short weeks later due to the difference in politics and lifestyle. Culturally, the deep divide between North and South is spots and freckles. In North Korea you are given priveledge for being spotless skinned and clear complexioned and in fact many of their massacres were of the less fortunate spotted N. Koreans. Many of their leaders allude to this division in their propaganda for the world, such as only riding calico spotted horses and beating their spotted horses for symbolic purposes.

This cultural difference is probably what drove the north and south division in the early 20th century. N. Koreans might be poorer but they are clearer and in their own eyes "more ethnically pure" than southerners. In a reunited Korea northerners would quickly become jealous of their southern cousins and because of their racial superiority complex would feel no remorse for attacking the richer more worldly economical south.

To the rest of the world though we can't see much of a difference.

Because of the isolation of the north, the south are probably now intellectually more advanced with better education and less restrictions and micromanagement. Being allied with the U.S. gives the south access to better technologies. N. Korea could catch up but this would take a lot of time and money.
            Last edited by Wonderful Plans; 16 Feb 20,, 20:27.
            Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderful Plans View Post
              If North and South Korea reunited tomorrow it would implode a few short weeks later due to the difference in politics and lifestyle. Culturally, the deep divide between North and South is spots and freckles. In North Korea you are given priveledge for being spotless skinned and clear complexioned and in fact many of their massacres were of the less fortunate spotted N. Koreans. Many of their leaders allude to this division in their propaganda for the world, such as only riding calico spotted horses and beating their spotted horses for symbolic purposes.

This cultural difference is probably what drove the north and south division in the early 20th century. N. Koreans might be poorer but they are clearer and in their own eyes "more ethnically pure" than southerners. In a reunited Korea northerners would quickly become jealous of their southern cousins and because of their racial superiority complex would feel no remorse for attacking the richer more worldly economical south.

To the rest of the world though we can't see much of a difference.

Because of the isolation of the north, the south are probably now intellectually more advanced with better education and less restrictions and micromanagement. Being allied with the U.S. gives the south access to better technologies. N. Korea could catch up but this would take a lot of time and money.
              I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you've never been to either of the Koreas, and probably never been to North-east Asia at all.
              It would probably be a really good idea to find that first clue about the subject at hand before posting.
              Just a suggestion.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you've never been to either of the Koreas, and probably never been to North-east Asia at all.
                It would probably be a really good idea to find that first clue about the subject at hand before posting.
                Just a suggestion.
                I worked very closely with Koreans for several years. I know a thing or two. If Google is your best friend might I suggest Dr. Suess?
                Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

I worked very closely with Koreans for several years. I know a thing or two. If Google is your best friend might I suggest Dr. Suess?
                  I suggest you do google instead of Dr Suess because you clearly don't have a clue about what you're talking about.

There was no division between north and south Korea in the early 1900s, it was all a Japanese colony. It didn't matter if you were north or south Korean, you were dirt. The division of North and South Korea came about after WWII as an AGREEMENT between the US and the USSR. The Soviets basically conquered Korea from Japan and then allowed the Americans to land troops in the south after Japan's surrender.

Before the Korean War, if you tell me there was a difference between the two, I say you're full of crap, they were both living under tin pot dictators. It was post Korean War that the divide was created and not until the Four Tiger Economies that the difference magnified.
                  Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                    I suggest you do google instead of Dr Suess because you clearly don't have a clue about what you're talking about.

There was no division between north and south Korea in the early 1900s, it was all a Japanese colony. It didn't matter if you were north or south Korean, you were dirt. The division of North and South Korea came about after WWII as an AGREEMENT between the US and the USSR. The Soviets basically conquered Korea from Japan and then allowed the Americans to land troops in the south after Japan's surrender.

Before the Korean War, if you tell me there was a difference between the two, I say you're full of crap, they were both living under tin pot dictators. It was post Korean War that the divide was created and not until the Four Tiger Economies that the difference magnified.
                    But there was a difference or else there would be no division.
                    Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

The difference is that the Soviet Union entered Japanese-occupied Korea from the north and the U.S. entered from the south, and a couple of completely unprepared US officers (Dean Rusk and Charles Bonesteel) had to geographically delineate the US zone of occupation.
                      Working under a very short deadline, they grabbed a copy of National Geographic, figured that the 38th Parallel was roughly the halfway point of the peninsula, and said "Right there is the division".

End of story.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Try running that statement through a logic checker ... after reading some history.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                          Try running that statement through a logic checker ... after reading some history.
                          I'm not even going to argue because my statements were taken out of context and half ignored and then addressed out of context to change the subject and gloss over my point.

You are correct about what happened internationally and militarilly, but that doesn't address the matter.
                          Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

I'm not even going to argue because my statements were taken out of context and half ignored and then addressed out of context to change the subject and gloss over my point.

You are correct about what happened internationally and militarilly, but that doesn't address the matter.
                            Oh for Pete sakes, your statements are so stupid that it is straight out of a comic book. Up until the end of WWII, if you ain't Japanese, you're a freaking slave in Korea and it didn't matter if you in the north or south. The entire issue of comfort women should tell you how the Koreans were treated as dogs in their own country. Koreans were drafted into labour camps across the IJE.

2ndly, everyone in that entire region are mutts. Mongols, Hans, Turks have conquered and reconquered NE Asia. There is no racial superiority. You're right that the North view themselves as superior to the South but that's only because of the Kims' Personality Cults brainwashing them into believeing so, not anything to do with racial purity.

Lastly, how about listening to what your Korean co-workers are saying. They don't want re-unification.
                            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              The difference is that the Soviet Union entered Japanese-occupied Korea from the north and the U.S. entered from the south, and a couple of completely unprepared US officers (Dean Rusk and Charles Bonesteel) had to geographically delineate the US zone of occupation.
                              Working under a very short deadline, they grabbed a copy of National Geographic, figured that the 38th Parallel was roughly the halfway point of the peninsula, and said "Right there is the division".

End of story.
                              ...and you wonder how people could possibly be taken in by Trump. Case in point right here.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                ...and you wonder how people could possibly be taken in by Trump. Case in point right here.
                                Yeah, total mystery isn't it.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X