Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Baltic Republics, now members of NATO, be defended against Russian invasion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With American factories egar for munitions orders? Poles over the Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      I would favor Russian staying power over Polish Army and Baltic States to beat the Russian army. History have shown that more often than not, Russian armies can outlast their enemies.
      If acting alone, I would agree.

However, those are NATO countries you are talking about. They would be fighting with the backing and support of NATO...and I would not be surprised to see a substantial US presence.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        With American factories egar for munitions orders? Poles over the Russians.
        Do Poles have the money or will Uncle Sam provide the munitions?

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          If acting alone, I would agree.

However, those are NATO countries you are talking about. They would be fighting with the backing and support of NATO...and I would not be surprised to see a substantial US presence.
          I do not think that Russia will allow such events to unfold to allow a substantial US presence in Poland or the Baltic states. It will trigger a lot of red lines for Russia and likewise for US.

Comment

Russian staying power? This isn't 1812 or 1943.Russia needed 80000 men,serious defections and several years to defeat the Chechens.Granted,that's much better results than Coalition efforts in A-stan,but to fight against 50 millions Europeans is several orders of magnitudes above current Russian capabilities.

It's HIC we're talking about.NATO vs WP at their peak estimated several weeks of fighting before going broke or nuclear.The estimated lifespan of a 1980's division was 2-3 days.Estimated lifespan of a brigade,half a day.

In our age,the 4 brigades of the Georgian army went from near victory to utmost defeat in less than 12 hours, a feat caused by an inferior Russian force.For all our faults,we're orders of magnitudes above the Georgians and the Poles are even better.Staying power is little issue in this case.Training,discipline and leadership is.

If we lose the HIC phase and the rest of NATO screws us,we go into Chechen mode, official doctrine be damned.If only 10% of the population of the Eastern countries supports active resistence against Russian occupation,it's something 6-7 times worse than Chechnya.10% is a ridiculously small percentage,but it's something it will take twice or thrice the actual Russian Army of today several years to supress at the cost of 100000 KIA.

Did I forgot to say we have troops experienced in COIN,special forces with a decade of combat experience,plenty of AK's from the old age in depots,hundreds of cities,hundreds of thousands square kms of woodland,marshes and mountains and our grandparents fought for a decade or more(abandoned and forgotten by all) in the Forrest Brothers,Cursed soldiers, Haiducs or UPA?
            Last edited by Mihais; 11 Mar 14,, 17:06.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I do not think that Russia will allow such events to unfold to allow a substantial US presence in Poland or the Baltic states. It will trigger a lot of red lines for Russia and likewise for US.
              An attack on the Baltic states is an attack on NATO. What other red lines are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                An attack on the Baltic states is an attack on NATO. What other red lines are there?
                Russia won't allow events that will necessitate Russia to attack Baltic states and invite an attack from NATO.

Comment

Russia won't allow events that will necessitate Russia to attack Baltic states and invite an attack from NATO.
                  Go back to Post #1 on this thread.

To take on the Baltics is to take on NATO. Period.

It will not be an isolated campaign.

And Kaliningrad will end up split between the Poles & Lithuanians. Excuse me....I meant Konigsberg.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Why would Russia attack Baltic countries? They can ignite domestic insurgency in any and all of them in any time of the day.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

And Kaliningrad will end up split between the Poles & Lithuanians. Excuse me....I meant Konigsberg.
                      Nope it will be Radioberg or Nuklegrad, depends on which maps you read.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Go back to Post #1 on this thread.

To take on the Baltics is to take on NATO. Period.

It will not be an isolated campaign.

You misunderstood what I was saying. Putin will not allow a situation where Russia would be forced to take on Baltics, i.e., NATO, meaning he will not allow certain events to be played out leading to such outcomes.

Taking Kaliningrad would invite a sure response from Russia regardless of NATO.

Comment

You misunderstood what I was saying. Putin will not allow a situation where Russia would be forced to take on Baltics, i.e., NATO, meaning he will not allow certain events to be played out leading to such outcomes.

Taking Kaliningrad would invite a sure response from Russia regardless of NATO.
                          WTF? How could Putting be 'forced to' invade 3 independent countries? Putin has chosen to invade Ukraine & Georgia. If he invaded the Baltics it would also be a choice. I detect some weird conspiracy theory underlying all this.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            WTF? How could Putting be 'forced to' invade 3 independent countries? Putin has chosen to invade Ukraine & Georgia. If he invaded the Baltics it would also be a choice. I detect some weird conspiracy theory underlying all this.
                            I believe this will clear things up a bit

http://www.bne.eu/pics/1/837_transAdriaticPipeline.jpg
                            or the bigger picture, that also has clues about things that happened in former Yugoslavia and why they happened the way they did.
                            http://www.globalresearch.ca/article...ng%20Links.gif
                            Last edited by Versus; 11 Mar 14,, 21:41.

Comment

I believe that there is some underestimation of Russian military potential in this thread. Sure, Russia has little chance in an all out conventional war with NATO, but I find it hard to believe that Russia would not come out on top against any of the Eastern European countries; on the assumption that NATO does not get involved.

Also I dont think the Russians will tolerate a devastating attack on their infrastructure and economy, without responding with Nuclear weapons. So war between NATO and Russia is still pretty much nuclear Armageddon like in the cold war, unless missile defense reaches the stage where it can intercept ICBM's reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by InExile View Post
                                I believe that there is some underestimation of Russian military potential in this thread. Sure, Russia has little chance in an all out conventional war with NATO, but I find it hard to believe that Russia would not come out on top against any of the Eastern European countries; on the assumption that NATO does not get involved.

Also I dont think the Russians will tolerate a devastating attack on their infrastructure and economy, without responding with Nuclear weapons. So war between NATO and Russia is still pretty much nuclear Armageddon like in the cold war, unless missile defense reaches the stage where it can intercept ICBM's reliably.
                                The question is not whether Russia could come on top,but the cost and its standing in the world.With 1.3 billion Chinese across the border and jihadists all over its South,Russia will have nothing better to do than invade the only folks that do not want/can't cause the demise of Russia?

Nothing is impossible,but this scenario is highly unlikely.Even subversion is different from whatever they do/did in their area of influence.
                                Those who know don't speak
                                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Working...
                                X