Ahhh, Sundays........(in Texas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhh, Sundays........(in Texas)

Where every so often, we put a brisket into a pan, douse it with rub and broth, cover it with tin foil, and cook it for many hours!

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    Where every so often, we put a brisket into a pan, douse it with rub and broth, cover it with tin foil, and cook it for many hours!

Sure. Twist my arm…buying a plane ticket now. When is dinner?
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      Sure. Twist my arm…buying a plane ticket now. When is dinner?
      Cooking time is 7 hours.
      Last edited by Tamara; 09 Mar 14,, 19:25.

Comment

Can a pressure cooker speed things up? I've read that the 7-8 hours oven time can be reduced to 1 hour in the pressure cooker. Does the taste or texture suffer?
        Last edited by sated buddha; 09 Mar 14,, 22:01.

Comment

And give up the excuse to drink beer to cool ourselves over a hot fire?

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            Can a pressure cooker speed things up? I've read that the 7-8 hours oven time can be reduced to 1 hour in the pressure cooker. Does the taste or texture suffer?
            i don't know if it would or not.

But a few things. We are talking about the oven on bake; what's the pressure cooker on?

Further, there is a degree of bastardization in the works here to begin with. "Properly", I should be using some kind of barbeque, but being in town, I have nothing like that, so I use an oven. Somehow, using a pressure cooker, seems to continue that cross over to the dark side.

Finally, despite the agony, I think this is a wise proverb......"Never rush a work (of art) in progress".

Comment

The Colonel's take on life is what I plan to do once I retire. Get myself a small cabin in Himachal by a rivulet and high up and as far away as possible from the sunny-bunny holiday crowd and the Israeli (and now Russian) hippies looking for pot and the next rave.

There I will learn how to fish (salmon, mountain trout), take up meditation, buy lots of books and catch up on my reading (after 20 years of kids), and wake up to chilling mountain air. Yeah absolutely. Lots of beer too.

Speaking of your fears as a no-longer purist but not wanting to slide further down the slippery materialistic ladder of sloth and convenience and instant gratification, you could always let a small portion bake traditionally, while the other gets ready to consume (quickly) in the pressure cooker (what's it on? I'm guessing some open flame).
              Last edited by sated buddha; 10 Mar 14,, 04:04.

Comment

The Colonel's take on life is what I plan to do once I retire. Get myself a small cabin in Himachal by a rivulet and high up and as far away as possible from the sunny-bunny holiday crowd and the Israeli (and now Russian) hippies looking for pot and the next rave.

There I will learn how to fish (salmon, mountain trout), take up meditation, buy lots of books and catch up on my reading (after 20 years of kids), and wake up to chilling mountain air. Yeah absolutely. Lots of beer too.

Speaking of your fears as a no-longer purist but not wanting to slide further down the slippery materialistic ladder of sloth and convenience and instant gratification, you could always let a small portion bake traditionally, while the other gets ready to consume (quickly) in the pressure cooker (what's it on? I'm guessing some open flame).
                A pressure cooker can be stove top or its own entity…electric.

Salmon in India? Thats news to me. That is my hobby at the moment…sitting in a boat and drinking while the salmon ignore my bait and hit on the next boat.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Anticipation makes it taste better. Besides, a pressure cooker is better put to use as a still.

Comment

There's another problem about trying to use a pressure cooker.

We are talking about an 11 lb slab of beef to try to put into one. That is going to take a while to slice up, a long while. It's like the ole elephant stew joke.

"1 Elephant
                    200 c Water
                    700 ts Salt
                    Pepper, to taste
                    650 (10 oz.) cans brown gravy
                    2 Rabbits (optional)

Remove tusks; wash well; cut into chunks - takes about 2 weeks.

Place meat in large kettles; season with salt and pepper. Cover with water and gravy. Cook over kerosene fire at 455 degrees for about 4 weeks, or until tender.

This amount should serve 3,800 people; however, if more guests are expected, you may add 2 rabbits the last hour of cooking, but do so only if necessary because most people do not like to find hare in their stew."

We are talking about some very tough meat that is cheap because it's tender after long cooking times and there are people like me who will buy it in mass.

As it was, I pulled it out of the oven last night, sliced it up, put it in baggies, and now it sits in the freezer as a store of steak (as part of the meal, not being the main meal itself) for the next month or two. I think this was my 7th or 8th brisket since I started cooking them last October.

Comment

Tamara I appreciate your womanly thrift. Most girls nowadays, working women, used to money, do not have the same attitude at home. There is such a huge difference between how my mom and her generation used to run things at home when we were growing up and how I see my wife and other friends running their homes today. Its not that they are wasteful. But there is a difference in planning and elements of budgeting for sure.

Plus, I'm hungry.
                      Last edited by sated buddha; 10 Mar 14,, 16:36.

Comment

Tamara I appreciate your womanly thrift. Most girls nowadays, working women, used to money, do not have the same attitude at home. There is such a huge difference between how my mom and her generation used to run things at home when we were growing up and how I see my wife and other friends running their homes today. Its not that they are wasteful. But there is a difference in planning and elements of budgeting for sure.

Plus, I'm hungry.
                        Thank you!

Like I said before, a lot of things in my life have brought me this direction. The Navy teaching me that it is cheaper to buy raw goods, knowing you can always have a place in life if you know how to cook, a Forest Ranger type of mentality, ....... the admiration I get from people when they look at my grocery cart and wish they could eat like that.

And that said....it is time, far far time, to get off this computer and go do things!

Comment

Bubble bursting time. Good fishing means bugs. Lots of them. It's what they eat.

Comment

what's wrong with dropping a few grenades? :)
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The game warden.

Comment

Working...
                              X