So How Many Battlefields Have you Visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So How Many Battlefields Have you Visited

Saw this on another website and it got me counting. I know we did something like this before so I figured I would update and start it again.

These are the ones for the ACW.

1st & 2nd Deep Bottom
    1st & 2nd Franklin
    1st & 2nd Manassas
    1st, 2nd & 3rd Winchester
    Alexandria, LA
    Antietam
    Appomattox Court House
    Appomattox Station
    Arkansas Post
    Atlanta
    Averasboro
    Ball’s Bluff
    Barboursville WVA
    Bayou Fourche
    Beaver Dam Creek
    Beefsteak Raid
    Bentonville
    Big Bethel
    Big Black River Bridge
    Boonesboro MO
    Brandy Station
    Brice's Crossroads
    Bristoe Station
    Buckland Mills
    Camp Allegheny
    Carlisle
    Carnifex Ferry
    Carthage
    Cedar Creek
    Cedar Mountain
    Champion Hill
    Chancellorsville
    Chantilly
    Chattanooga
    Cheat Mountain
    Chester Station
    Chicamaugua
    Chickamauga
    Chicksaw Bayou
    City Point
    Cold Harbor
    Corinth
    Cross Keys
    Dinwiddie Court House
    Drewry's Bluff
    Droop Mountain
    Fayetteville
    Fisher’s Hill
    Five Forks
    Fort Donelson
    Fort Harrison
    Fort McAllister
    Fort Pulaski
    Fort Smith
    Fort Stedman
    Fort Stevens
    Franklin
    Fredericksburg
    Gaines Mill
    Gettysburg
    Glendale
    Gyandotte
    Hagerstown
    Hampton Roads
    Hanover
    Harper’s Ferry
    Harrisonburg
    Hartwood Church
    Hatcher’s Run
    Hatteras
    Hatteras Inlet
    Haw’s Shop
    High Bridge
    Honey Springs
    Hoover’s Gap
    Hunterstown
    Hupp’s Hill
    Iuka
    Jack’s Shop
    Jackson
    Jenkin’s Ferry
    Jonesborough
    Kelly’s Ford
    Kennesaw Mountain
    Kernstown
    Kilpatrick-Dahlgren Raid
    Lawrence, KS
    Lewisburg, WV
    Lexington, MO
    Lone Jack
    Lookout Mountain
    Malvern Hill
    Mansfield
    Marais des Cygnes
    Mechanicsville
    Memphis
    Middleburg
    Mill Springs
    Mine Creek
    Mine Run
    Monocacy
    Monroe’s Crossroads
    Monterey Pass
    Namozine Church
    Nashville / Fort Negley
    New Market
    Newtonia
    North Anna
    Oak Grove
    Orange Court House
    Pamplin Park
    Parkers Cross Roads
    Payne's Farm
    Pea Ridge
    Peachtree Creek
    Perryville
    Petersburg
    Phillipi
    Piedmont
    Pine Mountain
    Pleasant Hill
    Port Gibson
    Port Republic
    Port Walthall Junction
    Prairie Grove
    Rappahannock Station
    Raymond
    Ream’s Station
    Reams Station
    Richmond
    Richmond KY
    Ride Around McClellan
    Roanoke Island
    Round Mountain
    Sabine Pass
    Saint Albans, VT
    Salem Church
    Saltville
    Sappony Church
    Savages Station
    Saylor’s Creek
    Seven Pines
    Shepherdstown
    Shiloh
    South Mountain
    Sporting Hill
    Spotsylvania
    Spring Hill
    Staunton River Bridge
    Stones River
    Sutherland Station
    The Crater
    Thoroughfare Gap
    Todd’s Tavern
    Tom’s Brook
    Totopotomy Creek
    Trevilian Station
    Tullahoma Campaign
    Tunnel Hill
    Tupelo
    Vicksburg
    Weldon Railroad
    Westminster, MD
    Westport
    White Oak Road
    White Oak Swamp
    White Sulphur Springs
    Wilderness
    Williamsburg
    Wilson’s Creek
    Wilson-Kautz Raid
    Winchester
    Yellow Tavern
    Yorktown

That's 173.

I just realized I have no life......
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

It's kinda sad, but here's my list:

Israel
    Lebanon
    Sinai

The first two as active participants, the third after the fact
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Wow, out of that list only 7 or 8 and not all of them intentionally. After being stationed in the Norfolk Va area for 5 years I really never went to visit as many Civil War battle grounds as I would have liked. Call of the tap was too loud I guess. I have made it out to a number of Rev War battle grounds, Yorktown, Ticonderoga, Bunker/Breed's Hill, Lexington Green, Concord, basically the whole Battle Road, Valley Forge. If you count the Persian Gulf, I guess that's one. I know when we transited the Suez in 88 there were still wrecked hulks on the shore at different points- I don't know if they were left over from 73 or just broken equipment abandoned on site. Then again, there's Deerefield, Turner's Falls, Groton, Sudbury- all from King Philip's war. I guess if you look back far enough there's not many places that haven't been a battle ground in some point in history.

Comment

Wow! That is SOME list, AR! I wish I had been to even HALF of those battlefields!

To be honest, I was never very interested in the ACW, until I read Allen C. Guelzo's recent offering, Gettysburg: The Last Invasion; it really opened my eyes concerning the ACW, and now I can't get enough. I finished Winston Groom's Shiloh 1862: The First Great And Terrible Battle of The Civil War last week, and now I'm deep into Shelby Foote's The Civil War, A Narrative: Red River to Appomattox.

Next up: Brooks D. Simpson's recent biography on Grant, Ulysses S. Grant: Triumph Over Adversity, 1822-1865. After that, probably Sherman: A Soldier's Life, by Lee Kennett.
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Been at this since I was 19....and I am now WELL into my 50s!

It helps that I work in Petersburg, VA and live just toits southeast. Heck, I drive through 2 battlesites to get to work...haven't seen The Crater since yesterday! My son went to elementary school 400 yards from the cattle pens which were raided in the Beefsteak Raid.

Did a LOT of business travel for about 15 years (1993 - 2008) which took me to locations near a lot of these places so it was just a matter of side diversions in evenings or taking a later flight over an early AM flight. My old boss used to say I could sniff out 2 things in a new area better than anyone he knew....a battlefield and a cold beer.

Most have been by appointment. My best friend is actually more of a history fanatic than I am so we have had a lot of trips together. He hasn't been to Antietam or Gettysburg for 22 years so next month we are doing a 4 day trip to do an in depth study of the campaigns....to include the retreat from Gettysburg which most overlook. And we are throwing in Monocacy for good measure.

My
          Mark Twain

Comment

That's ground zero for Civil War battlefields. I always liked history, but I was young when I was in the service and my priorities tended to be chasing girls and drinking beer, not necessarily in that order. I'd like to get my kids down there though to see the area and the Civil War battlefields. Maybe Busch Gardens too.

Comment

For the ACW, just a couple

Battle of Fort Pillow Mostly because my father was born just a few miles away

and this one because I was at the Naval Aviation Museum up the road Fort Barrancas
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Don, There is a reason that I asked for FT Lee VA for my terminal assignment!

And Joe....2 good ones which are on my To Do list.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  My old boss used to say I could sniff out 2 things in a new area better than anyone he knew....a battlefield and a cold beer.
                  And not necessarily in that order!

Most have been by appointment. My best friend is actually more of a history fanatic than I am so we have had a lot of trips together. He hasn't been to Antietam or Gettysburg for 22 years so next month we are doing a 4 day trip to do an in depth study of the campaigns....to include the retreat from Gettysburg which most overlook. And we are throwing in Monocacy for good measure.
                  Nice! I'd LOVE to tag along, but I'm stuck out here on the West Coast for the forseeable future (at least until my kids are off to college next decade). I toured the East Coast when I was MUCH younger (back in my teens), and I barely had an appreciation for Colonial history, let alone the ACW.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Confederate retreat back to Virginia between July 4th & the 15th? As I'm sure you know, there was quite a bit of criticism directed at Meade (particularly from Lincoln) about his "lackadaisical" pursuit of the Confederate forces after Gettysburg. IIRC, the only two units that were in any kind of shape to undertake a pursuit of the Confederate forces were the 5th Corps & Crawford's Pennsylvania Reserves from the 6th Corps, but Meade was unwilling to commit his few remaining effective forces to the pursuit of a possibly cornered (and still potentially dangerous) enemy.
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Wow. I left the East Coast in 1966 when 12. So the only place where I have been back east was Gettysburg to camp with the Boy Scouts. Outside the US I have been to Normandy, Bastogne, Leyte, Corregidor, Bataan and the old walled city inside Manila

Comment

I'll need to do a bit of research on my travels to find out what battles have happened at places I've visited (I started at 10 ), but here is a short list:

WW1
                      Verdun

WW2

Europe

Bastogne
                      Aachen

East Asia

Singapore
                      Khota Bahru
                      Johor
                      Slim River

East Africa

Gondar (also Madhist War 1881-1899)
                      Amba Alagi (also Italian Invasion 1895 & Woyane Rebellion 1943)
                      Battle of the Lakes

Assorted Ethiopian Battlefields

Lake Ashenge (Ethiopian-Adal War/Portugese-Ottoman War 1542 & Second Italo-Ethiopian War1935)
                      Adwa (First Italo-Ethiopian War 1896)
                      Harar (Ogaden War 1977-78)
                      Dire Dawa (Ogaden War 1977-78)
                      Maychew (Second Italo-Ethiopian War)

Ethiopian Civil War

Bahir Dar
                      Shire (also Second Italo-Ethiopian War)

Indochina

Hue (Second Indochina War)
                      Saigon (Second Indochina War)
                      Cu Chi Tunnels (Second Indochina War)
                      Phnom Pehn (Cambodian Civil War)

USA

Manhattan (Revolutionary War)
                      Washington DC (ACW)

Stonewall (Battle for Gay Rights)
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Big Fella,

I am very envious of that list!

Some day!

I'll do my other war list later but I was lucky to get to Gallipoli care of the Turkish Army!

I consider that my biggest coup.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Bleh, we have a battlefield on every corner

On a more serious side, been on Galipole, lots of sites in Turkey, Normandy battlefields (Le Havre to Pontaubault tour), Somme, and a lot of places in Italy.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Big Fella,

I am very envious of that list!

Some day!

I'll do my other war list later but I was lucky to get to Gallipoli care of the Turkish Army!

I consider that my biggest coup.
                            Thanks AR. I am similarly envious of your list. I still have to do some digging. As a kid we drove around eastern France/Low Countries/Western Germany, so there are bound to be a few more in there. There are also more in Vietnam & possibly Cambodia. I have probably missed out a ton in Ethiopia. Much like the Balkans, it has been warred over for millennia, and often in the same places. I realised afterward that there has been at least one more battle at Harar - Menelik II (the guy who beat the Italians) beating the local Sheik to incorporate the place into Ethiopia proper.

Some Australia ones:

Eureka Stockade
                            Williamstown Fort, Melbourne: (not technically a battle, but the gun there reputedly fired the first shot for the British Commonwealth in both world wars. Same gunner. In WW1 it was a warning shot over the bow of German ship exiting Port Phillip Bay. In WW2 it was the same thing, but he got the nationality wrong )
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Not quite the impressive list of AR, but here's where I've been. I visited four of these as a kid, only returning thus far to Gettysburg.

Antietam
                              Appomattox Court House
                              Carlisle
                              Chattanooga (kid)
                              Chicamaugua (kid)
                              City Point
                              Cold Harbor
                              Five Forks
                              Gettysburg (kid)
                              Harper’s Ferry
                              Lookout Mountain (kid)
                              New Market
                              North Anna
                              Petersburg
                              Richmond
                              South Mountain
                              Spotsylvania
                              The Crater
                              Wilderness

Normandy
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X