No announcement yet.

So How Many Battlefields Have you Visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck, can I include Grafenwoehr, Hohenfels, Polk and Krasnovia (Irwin)?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      Buck, can I include Grafenwoehr, Hohenfels, Polk and Krasnovia (Irwin)?
      Shek,

They would be at the top of any list!!!

I did forget to add those to my list as well!

And I have not been to Carlisle! Need to fix that.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Last Thursday I was finishing up a week at FT Campbell, KY, and got an afternoon off ti head to Nashville. I dropped about 25 miles south to the town of Franklin. I last visited the Franklin Battlefield in 1999. Franklin was the middle battle of the NOV-DEC 64 Nashville Campaign and featured on of the greatest blood lettings of the war...especially surprising considering how late it was fought. 20,000 Confederates would line up...100 regiments...and march across 2 miles of open ground to attack the entrenched Union Army of Ohio. It was a charge almost twice the size of the famed Pickett's Charge.

The Confederates would suffer almost 6300 casualties. 55 regimental commanders would fall and 14 Confederate generals were casualties (6 dead/7 wounded/1 captured). The 6 Confederate generals would be laid out dead on the porch of the Carnton Plantation manor house, to include Patrick Cleburne.

When I visited the previous time it was very difficult to follow because there was almost no interpretation and much of the battlefield had been overrun by development.

Well the visit this time was a real joy. I must tip my hat to Save The Franklin Battlefield, Inc, the Civil War Trust & State of Tennessee. Together they have recovered almost 180 acres of land and removed the buildings, to include a pizza parlor, a mini mall and a gas station and restored the ground to as it was at the time of battle at the key points of the battle. The parts of the battlefield which did take place in an urban setting, primarily at the Carter House and Cotton Gin, the area has been restored and interpretation is superior. And the SFTB have developed a great 13 stop auto tour of the battlefield which includes the ability to scan QR tags which bring up short films on your smart phones and great interpretation markers at each stand.

If you are interested in more, check out these sites.

http://www.franklin-stfb.org/index.htm

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ttlefield.html

It's always good to see success in restoring our heritage!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X