X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDF captures Iranian ship carrying advanced rockets for Gaza

IDF captures Iranian ship carrying advanced rockets for Gaza

IDF captures Iranian ship carrying advanced rockets for Gaza

Cargo of Iranian made long-range missiles were captured en route to Sudan in daring open sea operation, in which elite navy unit raided the vessel

Yoav Zitun Published: 03.05.14, 13:30 / Israel News

Israel seized an Iranian ship carrying advanced weapons destined for Gaza on Tuesday night and towed it to the Eilat port, the IDF said Wednesday. Elite troops from the Israel Navy's Shayetet 13 unit boarded the ship in open waters on the maritime border of Sudan and Eritrea, some 1,500 km south of Israel.

The Klos C Iranian vessel was sailing under a Panamanian flag, making its way to Sudan from Iran carrying a cargo of advanced rockets capable of reaching distances of up to 200 km.

IDF Spokesperson's Unit simulation of events:

The Iranian cargo ship carrying arms for Gaza left port ten days ago and was on track to dock in Sudan on Thursday. The 17 crew members on board – representing a variety of nationalities – are being investigated for their involvement in the attempted smuggling operation. Their questioning is expected to continue in Israel.

The ship was supposed to reach port in Sudan on Thursday, some 10 days after it left Iran. An initial inventory by Israel revealed a large supply of rockets, including the Iranian-made 302m, which hit Haifa during the 2006 Second Lebanon War.
    Yeah, I remember somebody said something about Iran turning over a new leaf and turning their faces towards peace, right?

By the way, the worst part of this whole thing is that for some reason, the Israeli Foreign Ministry has decided that it's on strike. That means that there was no formal complaint to the UN regarding the weapons ship, and instead of being out full force, the Hasbara Department was/is silent.

Complete and total stupidity....
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Well my congratulations to the Shayetet 13 unit, big win :)
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

If only somehow there was someone official working to get the news out....
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The relevance isn't lost, I'm certain, among those for whom something of this ilk would matter. Nor is it likely even news. I'm confident that no ship leaves an Iranian port without the manifest contents known.

You'd likely be correct, though, that the world needs reminding periodically of Iran's deadly meddlesome nature.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Makes me wonder about the Iranian "naval fleet" that is deploying to the Atlantic. They've taken the long way there around S. Africa- is it possible the Kharg might carry a similar cargo and be looking to drop off a few deliveries at places like Nigeria?

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            Makes me wonder about the Iranian "naval fleet" that is deploying to the Atlantic. They've taken the long way there around S. Africa- is it possible the Kharg might carry a similar cargo and be looking to drop off a few deliveries at places like Nigeria?
            1) Do we actually have any evidence that they have even left port, let alone visited anyone?:

2) Nigeria probably isn't the place you would drop these. They are busy fighting an Islamic insurgency. That is unless you don't tell anyone & just drop the crates for transhipment. In that case you could do it in any number of places.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Iranians have abundance of advanced rockets?

These Persian fellas never seize to amaze me.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                1) Do we actually have any evidence that they have even left port, let alone visited anyone?:

2) Nigeria probably isn't the place you would drop these. They are busy fighting an Islamic insurgency. That is unless you don't tell anyone & just drop the crates for transhipment. In that case you could do it in any number of places.
                The Islamic Movement and Iranian Intelligence Activities in Nigeria | Combating Terrorism Center at West Point

Apparently Iran has done it before, the section titled: "The Quds Force and Hizb Allah: Recent Operations" specifically mentions deliveries of rockets, but I think it was done thru 3rd party merchant shippers and not Iranian ships. But given that ships carrying arms originating from Iran have been stopped and boarded in recent years maybe they feel an official Iranian warship won't be?
                As far as have they left port? I have no idea- you would think given the attention in the press of the "great white fleet"s sailing forth that there would be some kind of news of where they are, maybe even a press release in their own media so the Iranians can see they made it past the Cape of Good Hope. Certainly an Iranian warship showing up in an African port should make news. Maybe we should look for large numbers of circling gulls since I still think the most they will accomplish is a shipload of extremely seasick cadets and malfunctioning CHT systems.
                Last edited by DonBelt; 06 Mar 14,, 13:27.

Comment

khark belong to the irans army and irans army never did such behavior ! but revolution guard ...

Comment

Here is some speculation on the progress of the Iranian Navy's fleet.
                    Persian patrol: Iran sends warships to Atlantics ? RT News
                    As per this and other articles, the Sabalan and the Kharg which Iran is claiming to send to the US are labeled the 29th fleet.
                    allAfrica.com: Somalia: Iran Navy Thwarts Two Pirates Attacks
                    According to this story, just out the 29th fleet just stopped a pirate attack in the Bab-el-Mandeb strait.
                    Quite a long ways from South Africa or the Atlantic or the US, unless the fleet designation only applies to Iranian ships operating in that area and is not specifically assigned to the Kharg and Sabalan. Anyone know?

Comment

One last observation- Just watched interview of Benjamin Netanyahu by Liz Claman of Fox. Without going into the details or merits of the discussion, I have one question that I have to ask: Did Liz Claman actually say "coming at a time where we see a global darkening of the backdrop of the world" ? Wow, I mean, wow. If I were a teacher grading this, I would have to put wordy, or awk in the margin for that phrase.

Comment

It is highly unlikely Tehran's publicised naval fleet sent for the purpose of attracting attention, could covertly deliver cargo without being monitored.

This latest intercepted arms shipment happens to come at a useful time for Israel in its attempts to disrupt Tehran's approachment with the West. Given that the cargo will be put out for "public viewing" to maximise international coverage, the real facts will be obscured.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Whale View Post
                          It is highly unlikely Tehran's publicised naval fleet sent for the purpose of attracting attention, could covertly deliver cargo without being monitored.
                          It's obvious you didn't even do a cursory fact-check. The intercepted cargo ship (Klos-C) is not part of Tehran's much ballyhooed 'Atlantic Fleet' headed towards the US coast.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                            It's obvious you didn't even do a cursory fact-check. The intercepted cargo ship (Klos-C) is not part of Tehran's much ballyhooed 'Atlantic Fleet' headed towards the US coast.
                            Minnie,

Read what he is replying to. He was replying to some speculation that the Great Armada that may or may not be making its slow progress to America might drop off missiles. I think he is right - seems a little obvious even for Iran.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

"...Given that the cargo will be put out for "public viewing" to maximise international coverage, the real facts will be obscured."

Unless those "...real facts..." mitigate the contents of that publically-viewed cargo then you'd appear to be attempting to muddy the waters.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                              X