This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China, eyeing Japan, seeks WW2 focus for Xi during Germany visit

If I were the Chancellor or Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany, may cannot help but replies: "I beg you to reflect on own history of your country first."

Exclusive: China, eyeing Japan, seeks WW2 focus for Xi during Germany visit | Reuters

(Reuters) - China wants to make World War Two a key part of a trip by President Xi Jinping to Germany next month, much to Berlin's discomfort, diplomatic sources said, as Beijing tries to use German atonement for its wartime past to embarrass Japan.

China has increasingly contrasted Germany and its public contrition for the Nazi regime to Japan, where repeated official apologies for wartime suffering are sometimes undercut by contradictory comments by conservative politicians.

Ties between the two Asian rivals worsened when Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine on December 26, which China sees as a symbol of Tokyo's past militarism because it honors wartime leaders along with millions of war dead.

Xi will visit Germany in late March, as well as France, the Netherlands and Belgium, Beijing-based diplomats said. China's Foreign Ministry declined to comment on Xi's agenda as the trip has yet to be formally announced.

"China wants a strong focus on World War Two when Xi visits Germany and Germany is not happy," said one diplomatic source who has been briefed on China's plans for the Xi trip.

The German government declined to comment. But the diplomatic sources said Germany did not want to get dragged into the dispute between China and Japan, and dislikes China constantly bringing up Germany's painful past.

A second diplomatic source with knowledge of the trip said China had proposed Xi visit the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin. When that was immediately rejected by Germany, Beijing suggested Xi go to Berlin's Neue Wache Memorial, which honors war dead but not recognized war criminals.

"The Holocaust is a no go area," the source said, adding it was unclear if the Neue Wache Memorial visit would go ahead.

Germany does not want the negative legacy of the war to dominate or take centre stage during a state visit, the source added, explaining the objection to the Holocaust Memorial visit.

China wanted German officials to go to Japan and tell them how to cope with history, the source added.

PROPAGANDA OFFENSIVE

It is not clear exactly what Xi wants to say about the war while in Germany, which has strong commercial links with China, but Chinese leaders have mentioned the subject in recent visits to Europe.

In 2012, then premier Wen Jiabao went to the former Auschwitz death camp, located in what was then Nazi-occupied Poland, saying: "Only those who remember history can build a good future."

Japanese leaders have repeatedly apologized for suffering caused by the country's wartime actions, including a landmark 1995 apology by then prime minister Tomiichi Murayama. But remarks by conservative politicians periodically cast doubt on Tokyo's sincerity.

Taking questions in parliament on Thursday, Abe said his government would stick by past apologies.

"As I've said before, in the past many nations, especially those in Asia, suffered great damage and pain due to our nation. Our government recognizes this, as have the governments that have gone before, and will continue this stance," Abe said.

Sino-Japanese ties are not just plagued by China's bitter memories of Japan's occupation of parts of the country before and during World War Two, but also by a territorial row and regional rivalry. Relations chilled after a feud over disputed islands in the East China Sea flared in 2012.

Some experts say China's campaign against Japan has helped Beijing shift some of the debate away from its growing military assertiveness in Asia, including double digit defense spending increases and the creation of an air defense identification zone in the East China Sea that was condemned by Tokyo and Washington.

China pressed home its propaganda offensive against Japan last week during a government-organized visit for foreign reporters to the site of the Nanjing massacre.

Reporters were taken to see the house where a German businessman called John Rabe lived, a man lionizedin China for his role in protecting Chinese from Japanese troops who rampaged through the city, then known as Nanking, in late 1937.

China says Japanese troops killed 300,000 people. A post-war Allied tribunal put the death toll at 142,000.

"Any group of people can make a historical mistake, but the Germans have admitted to it and said that they wouldn't allow such a thing to happen again," said Zhu Chengshan, curator of the memorial hall for the victims of the massacre.

"This is an amazing historical perspective that the Germans have. The Japanese, on the other hand, are exactly the opposite."

ABE DEFENDS SHRINE VISIT

Part of China's campaign has been to highlight German contrition.

State television recently showed footage of former West German chancellor Willy Brandt falling to his knees in front of a memorial to victims of the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, when the Germans brutally crushed a Jewish revolt.

Asked about China's comparison of Germany and Japan, a Japanese Foreign Ministry spokesman said Japan would continue to tread a peaceful path and that it was China's recent provocative actions that were raising concerns in the region.

"We have to reflect on the past but cannot live only in the past," spokesman Masaru Sato said. "Reconciliation requires not only a former perpetrator's sincerity and gesture of atonement, but also a former victim's acceptance," he said, adding Tokyo wants dialogue with Beijing.

Numerous diplomatic sources say China has been putting pressure on Western embassies in Beijing to get their governments to condemn Abe's Yasukuni shrine visit.

Abe has repeatedly said he did not visit the shrine to honor war criminals but to pay his respects to those who died for their country and to pledge Japan would never again go to war. His visit prompted a rare statement of "disappointment" from Washington on the day he went.

Last month, following a regular meeting between the Chinese and German defense ministries, Chinese state media said the German side expressed their "understanding for China's position".

"For Germany, the lessons of history have been bitter. Germany went through deep reflection and exerted much effort, thus winning the trust of the international community," Chinese newspapers cited unnamed German officials as saying.

It is all getting a bit much for Germany.

"The Germans are really uncomfortable with this kind of thing," said a third diplomatic source, referring to the defense ministry meeting. "They don't like China constantly comparing them with Japan and going on about the war."

China's ambassador to Germany, Shi Mingde, in an interview with a German newspaper last month, drew a comparison between Abe's shrine visit and the Nazis. "Imagine that the German chancellor would visit Hitler's bunker instead of the Holocaust Memorial to lay flowers. That would be unthinkable," Shi said.

Japanese spokesman Sato, noting that Yasukuni honors 2.5 million war dead from conflicts including both world wars, said it was wrong to suggest the Yasukuni visit meant Japan was unrepentant. "Comparing the two nations by simply referring to a visit to the shrine is wrong," he said.

(Additional reporting by Natalie Thomas, John Ruwitch in NANJING, China, Linda Sieg in TOKYO and Andreas Rinke in BERLIN. Editing by Dean Yates)

==============================
    When will you put down Mao's Portrait in Beijing?

Originally posted by Enzo Ferrari View Post
    If I were the Chancellor or Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany, may cannot help but replies: "I beg you to reflect on own history of your country first."
    Or Xi could just ask the Internet "Why is Enzo Ferrari a Nazi apologist?"

Or "Why does Enzo Ferrari think that Hong Kongers are white?"

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
      Or Xi could just ask the Internet "Why is Enzo Ferrari a Nazi apologist?"

Or "Why does Enzo Ferrari think that Hong Kongers are white?"
      So you can haunt him (it's not typo)
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Mao DID Killed Tens of Millions Chinese

Skywatcher, let’s get this straight, you couldn’t insulting me just calling me Nazi, instead, you could better called me “Commies” and even better one “Chinese” I would rather feel REALLY insulted.

As the simply Greatest Butcher in the Mankind History, using the painful past of another country for the endorsement of a political agenda (i.e. to humiliate arch-rival Japan), any reasonable government should do an appropriate response, by rejecting the request.

Moreover, at right now EU and Russia in the “Wrestling” to the business of Ukraine, why did the Red China keep annoying Germany?

Comment

Skywatcher, let’s get this straight, you couldn’t insulting me just calling me Nazi, instead, you could better called me “Commies” and even better one “Chinese” I would rather feel REALLY insulted.

As the simply Greatest Butcher in the Mankind History, using the painful past of another country for the endorsement of a political agenda (i.e. to humiliate arch-rival Japan), any reasonable government should do an appropriate response, by rejecting the request.

Moreover, at right now EU and Russia in the “Wrestling” to the business of Ukraine, why did the Red China keep annoying Germany?
          In order to build wheel you must learn to ride horse. In the Feng Shui movement of Confussious one must go far to come close in order to bring peace you must wage war.

To learn how to make one comfortable you must make others uncomfortable.
          No need to thank the wisdom I shared for you can attain it as well just concentrate on nothing and think in bubbles.
          Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by cyppok View Post
            In order to build wheel you must learn to ride horse. In the Feng Shui movement of Confussious one must go far to come close in order to bring peace you must wage war.

To learn how to make one comfortable you must make others uncomfortable.
            No need to thank the wisdom I shared for you can attain it as well just concentrate on nothing and think in bubbles.
            Confucius. Surely you know how to use a spell check by now?

The slight problem with thinking in bubbles is that one runs the risk of becoming a self declared moron when a government doesn't fall in five days.
            Last edited by Skywatcher; 26 Feb 14,, 05:22.

Comment

Umm, the Nazis were worse than Mao ever was. Heard of General Plan Ost?

So if you say you're not Chinese... but keep in mind, the Aryan Brotherhood still won't accept your application to become an honorary white just because you rhetorically fellate them by minimizing Nazi evil.

Very well, I concede. Since you personify such an absurd strawman caricature of a Hong Kong dissident right from CCP propaganda central (despite your inability to master the English language), you are definitely a five yuan Chinese communist Internet commenter drawing a respectable MSS paycheck. Shall I mail you the certification acknowledging your service to Party and Chairman Xi?

Is that English? For all your professed love of western Hong Kong, a modicum of coherence would be much appreciated.

So it would make sense for Saudi Arabia to ignore counterterrorism operations with the US if Riyadh was dealing with the Arab Spring. Nevermind your being a obvious CCP plant, that does sound pretty stupid either way, doesn't it?
              Last edited by Skywatcher; 26 Feb 14,, 05:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                Umm, the Nazis were worse than Mao ever was. Heard of General Plan Ost?

So if you say you're not Chinese... but keep in mind, the Aryan Brotherhood still won't accept your application to become an honorary white just because you rhetorically fellate them by minimizing Nazi evil.

Very well, I concede. Since you personify such an absurd strawman caricature of a Hong Kong dissident right from CCP propaganda central (despite your inability to master the English language), you are definitely a five yuan Chinese communist Internet commenter drawing a respectable MSS paycheck. Shall I mail you the certification acknowledging your service to Party and Chairman Xi?

Is that English? For all your professed love of western Hong Kong, a modicum of coherence would be much appreciated.

So it would make sense for Saudi Arabia to ignore counterterrorism operations with the US if Riyadh was dealing with the Arab Spring. Nevermind your being a obvious CCP plant, that does sound pretty stupid either way, doesn't it?

Fuck Yeah, since you are a proud SO CALLED English native speakers but defending the Greatest Butcher of Mankind History.

As China soon displace US as next superpower, I wonder what will happened in future, may be no Iraq, may be no Afghanistan, but I will pretty sure some countries such as Taiwan, Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Vietnam and/or even Japan could not be so good luck.

Therefore I explode all myself to let me banned perpetually from WAB.......

THE REASON OF THE FORTHCOMING, UNAVOIDABLE WORLD WAR III STARTED AT THE FAR EAST BECAUSE THERE WERE FULL LOAD OF APPEASEMENT SMART ASS LIKE SKYWATCHER IN THE WORLD!!!

YOU BETTER FUCK OFF TO YOUR SHITE HOLE AND BURN IN HELL WITH CHAIRMAN MAO AND POL POT!!!
                Last edited by Enzo Ferrari; 27 Feb 14,, 09:44.

Comment

Fuck Yeah, since you are a proud SO CALLED English native speakers but defending the Greatest Butcher of Mankind History.
                  But I'm not defending Adolf Hitler?

Seriously, where did I advocate or defend Nazism?

Comment

Who defends Genghis Khan?
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I'm not surprised China is playing the world war angle. With the militarization of Japan and their backing by the US, there's a possibility that could lead to world war.

Comment

Sorry With the militarization of China and their backing by Russia, there's a possibility that could lead to world war.

Solastalgia, At least Japanese and Philippine leaders played the "World Wars Card" earlier than the Chinese.

Shinzo Abe
                        Abe Comparing China Ties to Pre-War Europe Fuels Tensions - Bloomberg

Benigno Aquino
                        Philippine leader likens China's rulers to Hitler
                        Last edited by Enzo Ferrari; 01 Mar 14,, 12:36.

Comment

Outright Racism from Offshore Republic of China

As Skywatcher openly claimed me Nazi, surely that sort of insult should not be compared with Chinese state run media that claiming departing United States ambassador, Gary F. Locke, "BANANA".

‘ “......Gary Locke is a U.S.-born, third-generation Chinese-American, and his being a banana — ‘yellow skin and white heart’ — became an advantage for Obama’s foreign policy,’’ opened the commentary, written by a person identified as Wang Ping. (Many Asian-Americans consider “banana” an offensive term.)

“However,” the commentary continued, “after a while, a banana will inevitably start to rot.’’

“When Gary Locke arrived, the skies in Beijing became hazy,’’ the commentary said. “When he left, the skies suddenly became blue.’’ ’

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...ype=blogs&_r=0

============================================
                          Playing with the terms of "yellow, white, and black". Outright racism.

For fairness, I had to post the original Chinese writing webpage here.

±ðÁË£¬ÂæÊϼһԣ¡-ÖÐÐÂÍø

In the eyes of the Chinese Communist Party:

Race = nation = Country = regime

So, if you are really the yellow race, you have to agree with the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
                          Last edited by Enzo Ferrari; 01 Mar 14,, 12:37.

Comment

As Skywatcher openly claimed me Nazi, surely that sort of insult should not be compared with Chinese state run media that claiming departing United States ambassador, Gary F. Locke, "BANANA".
                            Of course not. Ambassador Locke isn't so stupid that he thinks manslaughter is worse than murder.

‘ “......Gary Locke is a U.S.-born, third-generation Chinese-American, and his being a banana — ‘yellow skin and white heart’ — became an advantage for Obama’s foreign policy,’’ opened the commentary, written by a person identified as Wang Ping. (Many Asian-Americans consider “banana” an offensive term.)

“However,” the commentary continued, “after a while, a banana will inevitably start to rot.’’

“When Gary Locke arrived, the skies in Beijing became hazy,’’ the commentary said. “When he left, the skies suddenly became blue.’’ ’

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...ype=blogs&_r=0
                            Wait so tabloids are official CCP policy? I'm not even going to say how stupid that is, though coming from someone who cites Facebook, we shouldn't be surprised.

============================================
                            Playing with the terms of "yellow, white, and black". Outright racism.

For fairness, I had to post the original Chinese writing webpage here.

±ðÁË£¬ÂæÊϼһԣ¡-ÖÐÐÂÍø

In the eyes of the Chinese Communist Party:

Race = nation = Country = regime

So, if you are really the yellow race, you have to agree with the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
                            Well, looks like you didn't read the source you're citing. Though I have to give you credit for not editing it this time to fit your fantasies of a West coming to the rescue of "oppressed British Hong Kong".

PS: How's the remedial English lessons coming along? Hope it doesn't cost too much, with all those Mainlanders coming over to crowd out private tutoring.
                            Last edited by Skywatcher; 01 Mar 14,, 19:10.

Comment

Sorry With the militarization of China and their backing by Russia, there's a possibility that could lead to world war.

Solastalgia, At least Japanese and Philippine leaders played the "World Wars Card" earlier than the Chinese.

Shinzo Abe
                              Abe Comparing China Ties to Pre-War Europe Fuels Tensions - Bloomberg

Benigno Aquino
                              Philippine leader likens China's rulers to Hitler
                              So you want other people to fight your war for you? That tells us a lot...

Comment

Working...
                              X