Paul Says Rocker Nugent Should Apologize for Calling Obama a Mongrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Says Rocker Nugent Should Apologize for Calling Obama a Mongrel

A chance for leading Tea Party pols to show that they are only decently disruptive.

Brett LoGiurato
    Feb. 21, 2014, 8:18 AM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who is frequently mentioned as a possible Republican presidential candidate, called on rocker Ted Nugent to apologize after calling President Barack Obama a "subhuman mongrel" in a recent interview.

Paul's denunciation of Nugent came amid controversy in Nugent's home state of Texas, where he has campaigned in recent days with GOP gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott. Abbott fled reporters when he was questioned Wednesday about his decision to campaign with Nugent.

Other prominent Texas politicians and possible 2016 GOP candidates also began pushing back on Nugent's comments on Thursday. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told CNN that he disagreed with Nugent's comments and would never use similar words.

Later on Thursday, current Texas Gov. Rick Perry told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that he had a "problem" with Nugent's comments.

"He shouldn’t have said that about the president of the United States," Perry said. "I've got a problem calling the president a mongrel. ... That is an inappropriate thing to say."

For his part amid the backlash, Nugent has gone on an extensive Twitter rant Thursday, asking his followers if his words were "really more offensive" than certain qualms of his with the Obama administration.

Read more: Rand Paul: Ted Nugent Should Apologize - Business Insider

After trying to defend his statement on Twitter, Nugent finally sort of apologized: Nugent apologizes for calling Obama 'subhuman mongrel' | TheHill

Here's what caused the rukus. (at about 2:30 minutes in)

Last edited by JAD_333; 22 Feb 14,, 00:05.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

It always fascinated me that an admitted draft dodger became a pin up boy in some right wing circles by waving about guns & saying bad things about Obama. Another example of a fascinating double standard.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      It always fascinated me that an admitted draft dodger became a pin up boy in some right wing circles by waving about guns & saying bad things about Obama. Another example of a fascinating double standard.
      How can someone who signed up for the draft and was determined to be 4F be a draft dodger?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        How can someone who signed up for the draft and was determined to be 4F be a draft dodger?
        He has given differing accounts of how he avoided getting drafted. First there was a student deferment (like 'draft dodger' Clinton got). His account of how he got the 4F varies. This was in 1977:

I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin' and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin' kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I'd drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.
        He subsequently denied that, but then later said this:

I have never done a drug in my life. I have never smoked a joint in my life. I took two tokes off a joint with the MC5 one night and almost gagged and thought it was stupid. And that's it. I took two tokes off a joint once. I snorted one line of cocaine. And one line of crystal methedrine before my draft physical — but God, that was worth it because I wanted to see the look on the Sergeant's face. That's it for drugs.
        So, he qualifies using the 'Clinton standard' and then by his own behaviour prior to the physical. I think we both know that if he had been out there protesting against the Iraq War (or any other war for that matter) he would be known as a 'draft dodger' in right wing circles. Sauce for the goose Z.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
        X