Tenn. Volkswagen Vote Major Setback for UAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    i don't get it. if Corker was "not telling lies", then was the VW executive telling lies about VW's own economic decisions/policy? VW -wanted- an union at the plant. that's what makes this case so distinctive.
    VW has a workers council at every plant but that one, and the unions/ workers have 1/3 of the seats on the board. VW was under a lot of pressure to bring the Tenn plant into compliance but couldn't under US law unless the US workers wanted to.

Comment

z,

VW was under a lot of pressure to bring the Tenn plant into compliance
      so the question is, if VW has this everywhere else per their own policies, and was "under a lot of pressure" to bring about a worker's council there...why would, per Corker, they suddenly be interested in opening a plant there if there WERE no worker's council?
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Julie,

Your link goes directly to the anti-union faction that is involved in an election. How'd you feel if I post links from Obama's White House dot org and pose it as reliable information? Like others, I am confused. Nevertheless, interesting.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
          Julie,

Your link goes directly to the anti-union faction that is involved in an election. How'd you feel if I post links from Obama's White House dot org and pose it as reliable information? Like others, I am confused. Nevertheless, interesting.
          omg really TC?

What I posted is THE issue here...why the Union was voted out...you know, the winning arguments that the anti-union workers used to vote the union out.

As far as Obama, this was none of his business, nor the business of the politicians, and both should have kept their noses out of it, as well as their comments to themselves, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Julie,

What I mean is that the anti-UAW PR website's presentation of facts is very likely to be partisan, as one would expect from the dueling PR offices. Are they implying that workers can expect VW to raise wages to levels higher than the cap in the absence of union presence? You argue that unions ruined auto industry in the north. Conceding that for the moment, wasn't the cause presumably that the unions demanded unreasonable wages from employers?

I am not understanding the argument. There is a negotiated pact between UAW and VW that is unpopular, I got that. But how does that prove Corker's assertion that VW would not open a production line if UAW wins?
            Last edited by Triple C; 19 Feb 14,, 17:40.
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
              omg really TC?

What I posted is THE issue here...why the Union was voted out...you know, the winning arguments that the anti-union workers used to vote the union out.

As far as Obama, this was none of his business, nor the business of the politicians, and both should have kept their noses out of it, as well as their comments to themselves, as far as I'm concerned.
              So you are saying there should be another vote without Grover Norquists and Corkers involvement?
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Why should I pay someone more if the other guys is doing the same job for less?
                This is not how American unions work. Many unions have bargained in a two-tier wage structure, most notably the UAW and Caterpillar. If you were a young man hired after 2006, you took a substantial pay cut, because "market conditions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/bu...anted=all&_r=0
                http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er-pay-system/

The times, they are a-changin'. This is de facto truth for Gen Yrs in the corporate world, to which our response has been to jump ship as quickly as possible for a pay increase that dwarves the below COL adjustments we get. To the business whining about loyalty, go f' yourself and the horse you rode in on, and lrn2cptlsm.
                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  So you are saying there should be another vote without Grover Norquists and Corkers involvement?
                  There could be. While the UAW, by law, has to wait a year another union does not have to and could step right in for a vote. Apparently VW wasn't happy with the political interference and a spokesperson said that they may have to look into why would they want to open their next plant in the south.

Comment

As long as VW and the union, and a large percentage of workers want another vote I don't see why not.

Kind of ironic the south is fighting it so hard. If they really believed how bad unions are they should have allowed it and let the UAW hang itself. Also under the "right to work for less" laws, the workers could have still worked there but choose not to pay dues. The union would still have to be accountable for them and represent them. What better way to bankrupt the union. I also wonder if it was anyone but the UAW there would have been so much resistance. The UAW being the poster boy for all that is bad with unions and all.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X