Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afrika Korps anti-tank ambush: what is it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afrika Korps anti-tank ambush: what is it called?

Where the recon force "runs" into a heavier Allied force, turns tail and runs, the Allied force follows..............and is led into a hidden anti-tank screen that engages practically at point blank.

It was also a move that the Indians used in the American West (well, there it wasn't anti tank but still the same kind of meet, retreat, they give chase, lead them into an ambush).

Is there a proper name for this?

Parthian shot refers to horse archer tactic of a feint retreat followed by volley fire. I would argue Afrika Korps' tactics is not the same thing since the ambush was set by an separate element that was not the same type of arm as the feint group. It is also my understanding that German anti-tank guns did not fire at point blank range in the Desert War as a rule. They had long 50's, Russian 76's, and 88's that made long range fire very effective. In contrast, the British lacked a HE shell for their 6 pounder guns.
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
      Parthian shot refers to horse archer tactic of a feint retreat followed by volley fire. I would argue Afrika Korps' tactics is not the same thing since the ambush was set by an separate element that was not the same type of arm as the feint group. It is also my understanding that German anti-tank guns did not fire at point blank range in the Desert War as a rule. They had long 50's, Russian 76's, and 88's that made long range fire very effective. In contrast, the British lacked a HE shell for their 6 pounder guns.

Parthian shot is not a feigned retreat.It's simply shooting on the move.However,the Parthians used the feigned retreat.Like everybody else.

Using a light element to provoke the enemy into giving chase only to be ambushed is immemorial.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Well, here's the thing.

I'm talking to a friend who got mugged that way. He didn't run into more numbers but did run into a greater force than what he was expecting. I pointed out to him that such is an age old tactic, used by the Germans and the Indians on US Cav.

If he asks, what's it called?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
          Well, here's the thing.

I'm talking to a friend who got mugged that way. He didn't run into more numbers but did run into a greater force than what he was expecting. I pointed out to him that such is an age old tactic, used by the Germans and the Indians on US Cav.

If he asks, what's it called?
          "Underestimating the enemy"
          "Charging without thinking"
          "Luring enemy into ambush"

Comment

I would try a 'baited ambush'. Trying to kill a relatively low-threat and low-value target by exposing yourself and pursuing the target, only to run into a larger enemy force in a fixed, established position. About as old as warfare itself. Very useful for insurgents/guerillas, when you don't have a lot of combat power. You choose the engagement area.

Tankersteve

Comment

Working...
            X