Iran dispatches warships to US maritime border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

Irans 'helicopter carrier' Kharg. I'd almost swear I've seen this tub in some grainy black & white newsreel ;)
    They call it a helo carrier, most of us would call it a freighter with an emergency escape helo pad.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      I wonder which SSN got the "honor" of follwoing these cows?

This is a fart in a windstorm...
      I WAS going to say which Seawolf-class or Virginia-class sub will get to shadow them, but it sounds like it would be a waste of resources to do that, when there are more serious threats in the Pacific.

Maybe they'll dispatch the Pampanito to do that?

USS Pampanito (SS-383) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

Irans 'helicopter carrier' Kharg. I'd almost swear I've seen this tub in some grainy black & white newsreel ;)
        What, from WWII?
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

No, these are British oilers. This one was built specifically for Iran and sold to them in 1984.
          Iranian ship Kharg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Kharg helicopter carrier
          Ol-class tanker (1965) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

The last time the US Navy had a run in with that "Destroyer" ( a British Vosper class FF) we put a Mk-82 in her and left her dead in the water burning. We sank her sister.

You would think they learned their lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              And that's why you don't have her. No Navy could sustain to have you as an ally.
              MUCH more the story that that Doc. You criminally underestimate the cunning of both the RAN & the Chinese.

Follow the bouncing ball.....

1941: Light Cruiser HMAS Sydney is surprised & sunk by a cargo ship on steroid - RAN learns the value of surprise.

1944: Heavy Cruiser HMAS Australia is one of the first ships in WW2 hit by a kamikaze attack - RAN learns the value of surprise and ramming attacks.

Cold War: Australia buys a couple of crappy undersized surplus British Carriers. Sure, we parked planes on them (when we weren't crashing them or falling off the edge) and one of them even flew a few combat missions in Korea, but mostly they were glorified transport ships. Melbourne didn't fire a shot in anger, despite having three whole wars in which to do it (well, one rather big Police Action, one 'Emergency' and one 'Confrontation'). So why the carriers? The element of surprise. Do you think it sank those two destroyers by accident? That was practice.

Ever hear of the Soviet Pacific Fleet steaming around Australia in a show of strength? Of course not. They knew what was waiting for them.

Why do you think the Chinese bought the Melbourne in the early 80s? When the day comes the Yanks need to be more worried about what is below the water line, not what is on the carrier deck.;)

Now, imagine it is the present day & the two ship Iranian fleet is steaming away. It is night. All eyes are on the sky looking for enemy aircraft. They are slightly distracted by a strangely noisy submarine. Out of the darkness looms the Melbourne, her bow sharpened & strengthened, her crew trained for just such a moment. This is a ship that could slice an oversized destroyer in two. A jumped up corvette is barely going to scratch the paintwork. The Iranian navy is disgraced, the Melbourne chalks up another kill - since WW2 how many ships have singlehandedly sunk 2 destroyers eh?

See Doc, cunning buggers us!
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I wonder which SSN got the "honor" of follwoing these cows?

This is a fart in a windstorm...

If you give me a canoe and some beer money I'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                  If you give me a canoe and some beer money I'll do it.
                  A canoe with a vending machine? Now that's a thought.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Worley View Post
                    The Iranian Captain will wake up one morning with makeup applied gaudily to his face and a nice note written in lipstick on his mirror, "Enjoy your stay in the Atlantic! Sincerely, USN SEALs."
                    Are you implying SEALs carry makeup along everything else in their equipment?

The lipstick color would be navy blue?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Oh crap, where have I been. I see The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming...

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        Are you implying SEALs carry makeup along everything else in their equipment?

The lipstick color would be navy blue?
                        :whome:

Attached Files

Comment

So I was reading the paper this AM, and I was reading the obituaries to see if a) I saw my name amd b), how many of the deceased were vets (just something I like to do).*

So I came across an obit of a gent who had been in the Navy in WW 2. It listed his many accomplishments (and the were legion) and then I read this gem:

He had sailed around the world....twice....solo....after the age of 70.

And I am supposed to be impressed with these clowns!?!?!

Hell, there LSTs who made longer and more perilous journeys in WW 2 with less experienced crews.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

So I was reading the paper this AM, and I was reading the obituaries to see if a) I saw my name amd b), how many of the deceased were vets (just something I like to do).*

So I came across an obit of a gent who had been in the Navy in WW 2. It listed his many accomplishments (and the were legion) and then I read this gem:

He had sailed around the world....twice....solo....after the age of 70.

And I am supposed to be impressed with these clowns!?!?!

Hell, there LSTs who made longer and more perilous journeys in WW 2 with less experienced crews.
                            I remember when Bush Sr. jumped people went nuts. At least this fella did it on his own ;)

Comment

Ok, everybody knows this Iran stunt doesn't pass for news with the USN but thats not the point. The point is can you imagine in the 80s China telling US liners to submit themselves to Chinese authority on international airspace and the US government obeys. Can you imagine in the 80s Iran killing american servicemen on foreign soil and brag about it and they don't suffer even as much as a stone throw from the US. Now Iran can even play practice games with its rookies in Florida pond.......guys? Once upon a time the US could draw a line in international waters of another country and tell a super power with multiple nukes that 'you will not cross or else', and they obeyed. Iran is sending a very important message to the world that even the Soviets wouldn't dare do ie 'the US is no longer the mighty US to be scared of'.

Comment

How exactly did the US government "obey" China? If I recall correctly, the US government's immediate response was to fly a pair of B-52s smack dab through their ADIZ and tell the Chinese to get bent. If civilian airlines want to humor China, that is their business.

You are free to read whatever dire messages you like in Iran's semester at sea. Me, I would at least wait to see if they dont run aground or spring a leak first.
                                Last edited by guicho80; 12 Feb 14,, 01:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X