Iran dispatches warships to US maritime border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julie,

Regardless of what Fox News says, Iran is one of the most rational actors in the Middle East.

They love nothing more than getting the upper hand over the USA but it is all for either domestic consumption or to achieve specific foreign policy goals.

Could you please outline ANY situation were the Iranians will gain ANY advantage over the USA by detonating a small nuclear device against a coastal city?

They would get turned to glass in retaliation and cease to exist as a country even if the attack was successfully carried out (chances of that being pretty fvcking minimal).

They are not insane, they have never acted insane and I don't see a swing towards insanity any time soon. Don't drink the cool aid in thinking that just because they regional competitors that they are automatically batshit crazy.
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
      I understand what you are saying, I'm just leaving the guard up. Iran has been toying with nuclear crap the last several years, only they don't have a missile to get it here. You never know what those dingbats might do.
      Seriously? What are they going to do. Do they even have a nuke? Any actual evidence they plan to use it if they do. The Mullahs have always been expert at getting others to do their dying for them. The whole 'they is crazy muzlinz' stuff has always been vastly overblown

Yello, the USN must have been laughing too in Pearl Harbor? My dad was there by the way, he was a survivor of course or I wouldn't be here today.
      They are sending a couple of ships...assuming they even bother this time. They have a couple of choppers. Remind me, how many ships & planes did Japan send? If it had been single figures of ships & no combat aircraft accompanied by bellicose declarations the USN would have been wetting itself with laughter. The comparison you are making is ridiculous.

Russia also did some fly-byes some time back. Some countries no longer have the fear of the US as they had in the past, and the result of that is making some bold moves.
      Oh dear, here it comes....

Tell me again, what is 'bold' about sending a couple of ships into the Atlantic to shake a fist at the most powerful navy in human history?....assuming the ships even get there. Any US Fleet could literally run over these guys without noticing & even a tiny US naval taskforce could sink them before they knew they had been targeted.

Just sayin...laugh and roll your eyes now. Just don't get caught with your pants down.
      By what? It isn't like they are going to creep up on anybody. You don't seem to get it yet - announcing this to the world is the point.
      Last edited by Bigfella; 09 Feb 14,, 12:22.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

As others have posited, it is propaganda for home consumption much like their unveiling of (chuckle) 'stealth drones'. A two ship flotilla partially manned with cadets isn't a very impressive demonstration of power projection.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with chakos that Iranians are anything but irrational.

Considering the dates and times, the way I get it from RT's article is Iranians postponed the dispatch of the ships in 2012 for some time and that they have departed just now. They are supposed to go trough Good Hope.

I don't think they will put any military objectives for their ships but to float in international water near East Coast. Close to Cuba or Venezuela maybe??? That's all of course if they ever get there.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
            Julie,

Regardless of what Fox News says, Iran is one of the most rational actors in the Middle East.

They love nothing more than getting the upper hand over the USA but it is all for either domestic consumption or to achieve specific foreign policy goals.

Could you please outline ANY situation were the Iranians will gain ANY advantage over the USA by detonating a small nuclear device against a coastal city?

They would get turned to glass in retaliation and cease to exist as a country even if the attack was successfully carried out (chances of that being pretty fvcking minimal).

They are not insane, they have never acted insane and I don't see a swing towards insanity any time soon. Don't drink the cool aid in thinking that just because they regional competitors that they are automatically batshit crazy.
            The hostage crisis was insane...the things they say are insane. I do happen to be one of those Atlantic coastal cities. I don't understand why AP would run such an article if there wasn't some truth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
              I don't understand why AP would run such an article if there wasn't some truth to it.
              News outlets typically reprint stories (often verbatim) from the root/wire source which in this case is the semi-official Fars News Agency of Iran. Rather than intimidating the US, the Fars news release is intended mainly for internal consumption and propaganda purposes.

The Iranian ships are probably steaming westward, but they pose no real threat to anyone. It is all bluster and braggadocio.
              sigpic

Comment

Maybe Iranians want to find out the gaps in US marine defense? :bang:

Or it' s just a conventional game? :grump:

A fully armed Royal Navy warship was scrambled to challenge a missile-carrying Russian vessel in the waters off Britain just days before Christmas, defence sources revealed last night.

In a calculated test of Britain’s reduced naval capacity in the North Sea, the Russian warship came within 30 miles of the coast.

It was detected nearing Scotland, but the only ship the Royal Navy had available to respond after Ministry of Defence cuts was in Portsmouth, resulting in a delay of 24 hours until it was in position.

Russian expert Jonathan Eyal, from the military think-tank the Royal United Services Institute, said Russia had intended to intimidate Britain.

Battle stations! Navy scrambles destroyer to challenge Russian warship off British coast (but it takes 24 hours to make 600-mile journey from Portsmouth base - was Putin testing our response time?)
                I like smiles in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
                  Maybe Iranians want to find out the gaps in US marine defense? :bang:
                  Russian subs try to do that.

Or it' s just a conventional game? :grump:
                  There is nothing funny in this to be a game. I wonder when Persians found their suicidal tendencies.

I like smiles in this forum.
                  They are called emoticons ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    They are called emoticons ;)
                    Thank you. :)

Comment

That the USN has retired warships deemed obsolete which have more capability then either ship Iran is sending should cause people to come out from under their beds.
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                        Julie,

Iran is also one of if not THE biggest exporters of international terrorism. They have absolutely no love for the U.S. They don't mind dying if they can kill some westerners..thats their religion. Remember the "stealth fighter"? Perfectly sane people don't try to pull that off….even for propaganda purposes. Although turning Iran to glass in retaliation of such an attack would be justifiable, we all know that isn't going to happen. I would bet the farm Obama would not push the button for that. If I were in their shoes I would proclaim the "warships" for all to see and while the world's attention was on them I would slip in some freighter while no one was looking.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                          Iran is also one of if not THE biggest exporters of international terrorism. They have absolutely no love for the U.S. They don't mind dying if they can kill some westerners..thats their religion.
                          You sure you don't talk about KSA here?

Comment

Iran is also one of if not THE biggest exporters of international terrorism.
                            Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? Qatar? Dubai?

Remember the "stealth fighter"? Perfectly sane people don't try to pull that off….even for propaganda purposes.
                            That was as cheesy as sending an under sized FFG and an oiler to puff up their chest.

If I were in their shoes I would proclaim the "warships" for all to see and while the world's attention was on them I would slip in some freighter while no one was looking.
                            My God you are serious.

====
                            Maybe they will use the oiler as a modern CAM ship and launch stealth fighters and QiziGavins off against American coastal cities. Thanks Obama
                            Last edited by troung; 10 Feb 14,, 02:21.
                            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
                              Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? Qatar? Dubai?

That was as cheesy as sending an under sized FFG and an oiler to puff up their chest.

My God you are serious.

====
                              Maybe they will use the oiler as a modern CAM ship and launch stealth fighters and QiziGavins off against American coastal cities. Thanks Obama

Of the 4 you mentioned only Pakistan is in the same neighborhood as Iran. Yes I was serious. Their mentality is that if you can hurt Americans on their homeland you would be a hero and terrorists have been working to that effect for decades. Diversion is a well used ploy in warfare and make no mistake there is a war going on. Just think of the economic hit and turmoil if one or more import/export terminals were hit and put out of commission for a few months to a year.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                                Of the 4 you mentioned only Pakistan is in the same neighborhood as Iran.
                                Hope you're kidding. KSA is the granddaddy of international terrorism. Even the terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan derives it's ideological and financial backing from the Gulf Arabs. Iranians use terrorism for political and strategic means, while the ideology being exported out of KSA and other gulf Arab states goes far beyond that. They genuinely wish to establish an Islamic caliphate and wage war against the non-Islamic world. (If we compare both their mullahs). Iran is by far a more rational actor than their Wahabbi/Salafi neighbours to the West.
                                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Working...
                                X