Kung Hei Fat Choy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
    We dont have a big Chinese community in Mumbai as in Kolkata, so this city misses out on the festivities and good food.
    Early mornings in Chinatown with hot soup and dumplings on the footpath buddy. Happy memories. We used to stay in Bow Bazaar.

Comment

I experienced Chinese culture with my ethnic Chinese class mate in Lucknow...learn't all the bad words from him in Chinese

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
        過年好 !
        新年快樂 !!
        恭喜發財 !!!
        That looks a lot like how I feel some days.

Comment

Hungover.

Comment

Happy Year of the羊

Is the yang a goat, sheep or ram? Tastes vary, but whatever the translation, this year is going to be interesting. Man-made vehicles will visit the far reaches of the solar system, including flying by Pluto and other chilly rocks. And, if all goes according to plan, an unmanned ship from China will land on our own moon.

Israel and Egypt (among many others) will hold presidential elections and the UK House of Commons is due for a reshuffle. In a welcome sign of optimism, Lithuania on January 1 became the 19th EU member to adopt the euro (10 others, including Monaco, Kosovo and Montenegro use the currency without being full members).

The last Year of the Yang saw SARS empty the streets of Hong Kong, and the one before that marked the end of Japan’s asset price bubble and the Soviet Union. Three cycles back, the US and China established diplomatic relations and 48 years ago was the famous Summer of Love.
            The longer, 60 year Wood Yang cycle ushered in Scrabble, Kermit the Frog, McDonald’s, Disneyland, the Guinness Book of Records, and Parkinson’s Law (work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion). ASEAN’s precursor, the South-east Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) was founded. Among famous people celebrating a full cycle are Premier Li Keqiang (李克强), Nobel Laureate Mo Yan (莫言, or 管谟业) and Hong Kong's Chow Yun-fat (周潤發).

Bi-cycling in at 120 years are X-rays, HP Sauce and a patent on the automobile. Among the tri-cyclers are photography, and the City of Melbourne, established in 1835. Four cycles back, James Watt built the first steam engine and tea taxes lost their flavour in Boston (1775).

Looking ahead
            What does 2015 hold in store? Global growth remains sluggish, particularly in Europe and increasingly in Japan. In the quarter century prior to the North Atlantic Financial Crisis, the US generated 27.7% of global growth, but it expected to produce only about 18% this year. China, which added 12% to the world’s GDP pre-crisis should contribute over 20%. Europe and Japan will see their share fall from more than 25% to barely 7.5%.
            Germany, which accounts for about one-third of the Euro Zone’s total growth, will contribute less to the world total than either ASEAN or India. The latter drove global GDP faster than Germany in the ten years prior to the crisis, and is likely to continue to do so in this decade.

. . . and, don't forget the Lai See!

Attached Files
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

A belated Happy New Year of the Ram to all our Chinese wabbits.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

. . . and, don't forget the Lai See!

[ATTACH]39256[/ATTACH]
                Damned relatives and kids found a way to my place.
                Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Damned relatives and kids found a way to my place.
                  Did you run out of Claymores?
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

I had better. I gave them lousy maps and wrong directions.

But they learned GPS.
                    Chimo

Comment

For the first time in more than 30 years, I'm getting enough rest and feeling pretty solvent.

Yep, Chinese New Year in London is very different ... and much, much less expensive!

Hey, Col Yu, what was the fiscal hit this year?
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

$4200. #1 Daughter is looking to live on her own. Never thought about putting a cheque in a red bomb before.
                        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 09 Feb 16,, 13:19.
                        Chimo

Comment

Belated best wishes!
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

It's a week long celebration, so nothing belated. Thank you. Now, to hide from the rest of the relatives.
                            Chimo

Comment

For the first time in more than 30 years, I'm getting enough rest and feeling pretty solvent.

Yep, Chinese New Year in London is very different ... and much, much less expensive!

You mean fewer red envelops to hand out? Or just in general all the stuff you have to buy for the new year?

Oh yeah, happy new year everyone!
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X