Mysterious Cruisers......Legends in their own minds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Cruisers......Legends in their own minds

Here's a little thing to tickle the fancy.

The other night, I had a rather vivid dream of a WW II cruiser being sold to India and the concern of how it would unbalance the power structure in the region (obviously in my dream, it was set a couple of decades back).

The vividness was in seeing the cruiser at sea. Bow on, it was two six inch mounts ....... and a Type 1022/965P radar. For some odd reason, my mind decided to put the mounts clearly to one side of the centerline, but that can be ignored.

So my question is, did someone at some point have a cruiser like that, so fitted? Did my mind dig up some picture I once saw and proceed on it?

I won't be heart broken if the answer is no. Personally, I think it was more our discussion here, that the reason why I saw that kind of radar was because of our talking about Coontz class DDG's and my searching the picture for the SPS-29 radar. The other day, I watched "The Sea Wolves" and between that and the way we talk about India here that could have generated that topic.....or, I suppose, since Roger Moore was in "The Sea Wolves", the mind brought up "Shout at the Devil" which did involve a battleship.....I suppose. And the detail on the cruiser? I think the mind was showing me, drawing on the General Belgrano (so the mind lost 3 guns, oh well!) .........but as near as I can recall, the only recent discussions I've had about South America is about what a great guy Uruguay's President is....and their wine isn't bad either.

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    Here's a little thing to tickle the fancy.

The other night, I had a rather vivid dream of a WW II cruiser being sold to India and the concern of how it would unbalance the power structure in the region (obviously in my dream, it was set a couple of decades back).

The vividness was in seeing the cruiser at sea. Bow on, it was two six inch mounts ....... and a Type 1022/965P radar. For some odd reason, my mind decided to put the mounts clearly to one side of the centerline, but that can be ignored.

So my question is, did someone at some point have a cruiser like that, so fitted? Did my mind dig up some picture I once saw and proceed on it?

I won't be heart broken if the answer is no. Personally, I think it was more our discussion here, that the reason why I saw that kind of radar was because of our talking about Coontz class DDG's and my searching the picture for the SPS-29 radar. The other day, I watched "The Sea Wolves" and between that and the way we talk about India here that could have generated that topic.....or, I suppose, since Roger Moore was in "The Sea Wolves", the mind brought up "Shout at the Devil" which did involve a battleship.....I suppose. And the detail on the cruiser? I think the mind was showing me, drawing on the General Belgrano (so the mind lost 3 guns, oh well!) .........but as near as I can recall, the only recent discussions I've had about South America is about what a great guy Uruguay's President is....and their wine isn't bad either.
    Maybe INS Mysore?

Comment

Think I found it. Something like the Boston or the Canberra.

A picture like this

would produce seeing the guns off centered with a radar mistaken for a Brit type on the opposite side ................ though in the dream, it still seems like I was looking at the General Belgano......though the forward deck house was taller, the bulk heads smoother, like the Albany but not as tall, not as narrow.

Anyhow, CHG or CH, have always been a fav of mine and as a child, when I saw the Moscow, I fell in love.........was too innocent to know it belonged to the other side. So I took a CAG model and turned it into a CAH (?) with a flight deck aft.

I suppose something in the past few days just tripped that memory or reminded me of the Canberra (once read the "Welcome Aboard" for it).

Oh, well!
      Attached Files

Comment

File:USS Galveston (CLG-3) underway 1967.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

Comment

You know, I always have dreams of ships- usually stuff like going onboard and the ship gets underway and I have forgot all my uniforms or something stupid like that. Most of my friends that were in the Navy have very similar dreams, but I also used to (and still do) have ship dreams where I am passing row upon row of ships, some in very decrepit condition, some foreign, sometimes lined up along large piers and sometimes set away from the main piers at smaller piers. I could always figure out the cause of most of my ship dreams- and most of the other former sailors I speak too had similar patterns of missing movement or not being ready or the like- but no one had had the old decrepit ships dream. Well, come to find out while speaking with my father, he used to take me down to the old South Boston Navy annex back in the 60's when I was very young to look at ships. They had many ships there at the time and old CVE's too. I figure that had to be the source of it, half memories from when I was 3 or 4 of all the old ships stored down there and my Dad telling me how they were all going to end up going for razor blades. The Boston waterfront was much busier in those days and more industrial too. Now its all office buildings, expo centers, beer factories and restaurants. Still a couple of small ship yards, I saw a USNS ro-ro being worked on last year and the Massachusetts about 10 years ago, I guess, maybe a half dozen fishing boats and the rest all commuter and harbor cruises, private boats.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            You know, I always have dreams of ships- usually stuff like going onboard and the ship gets underway and I have forgot all my uniforms or something stupid like that. Most of my friends that were in the Navy have very similar dreams, ..........
            REALLY?

I tend to have or did have 4 different kinds of Navy dreams........and that above is one of them. I've been recalled, I'm on the ship I spent the most time on, it's on deployment, and I only have 1 or 2 uniforms, and I'm wondering if I can hold out.

In a reoccurring dream of the past, I've been recalled to be a special investigator for the CNO and through out that dream......I'm wishing that the CNO would find another investigator so I can get on with my life! Someone once told me that I was having those dreams because I felt that had left something behind undone. I don't know what I left undone but upon hearing that observation, that dream stopped.

This one is still ongoing. Back on that ship again, I've been recalled but I don't recall when I was, I just know I was. Often, I know that this recall is the last and it will be over soon. In a way, it feels like I've been "killed" and given a reprieve.

The final one is where I'm at my Navy Police job, but usually, it's at the end, my relief has already taken over, and I'm moving around my old digs like a ghost......there's bound to be a psychological explanation for that one!

..........however......the other night I dreampt that I was at my old Navy Police job and I was the CDO for the night. A number of sailors wanted to show an x rated one reel movie in the station theater and I was saying no, that as the CDO, I spoke with the power of the Captain. Their ring leader, the starlet Aja, was saying yes we are going to have the film.....or I'll tell NIS about all the things on your computer. So while they were getting ready for their romp, I was busy trying to diffuse her attack.

Now, before you all go wondering about what that dream could mean, let me just say that I live my life that, if it came down to it such as appearing on the front page tomorrow, I am ready to stand and say yes I did. GRANTED, there are a whole bunch of things that I'd rather people not know, but if it came down to it..........

As far as what could have generated that dream, probably saw an ad for "NCIS" and we talk about enough battleships around here. Maybe. Oh, wait, that was probably it. The night of that dream, that evening, I was in a coffee shop for a show and someone was at a table, talking about the job market and how they had lost their secret clearance.

I suppose as we get older, with all the forums for history and social media to remind us of our past, enough comes up to generate such dreams. Further in reoccurring dreams like the above, there is probably more a psychological trigger than an event one (ie, seeing a picture). The Navy and I firmly said good bye almost a quarter of a century ago; there was no chance they were ever going to recall me, at least for what I was doing when we said good bye; someone did try, for a moment, to recruit me a year or later as an EDO.

About psychological/event triggers. I wouldn't be surprised if I have another one of those dreams soon, both because of our talking here and because of recent events. IE, that old phrase, "I can't tell you....,". I suppose as we get older, we become more wary about the things we talk about having potential to come back and bite us. On Facebook, where I am known, where what I write can be associated with a face, a friend was talking about a new bullet on the market and I started typing my opinion.......and then backspaced over it, saying to myself, I can't say that. It was saying too much. Or for what I teach, we have to be very careful what we say on the subject when we are talking to someone who is not our student. Offer an opinion, give an observation to someone on the subject, we are opening ourselves to a lawsuit. So today, someone engaged me in brief conversation on a device we don't use and while I ended the conversation quickly, afterwards, I was thinking I probably should not have said that much at all.

Likewise, there are aspects of my military service that I don't talk about, mostly due to an intense ingrained sense of loyalty. While what I may have known then is probably long since known now, my belief in loyalty is still there.

I can't control my dreams but looking back on them, I can often identify the events in my day to day life that act as triggers in them. Triggers are like adjectives or verbs for the same adjectives, different stories can be written.

Back to dreams for a moment, I had a "nice" one during a catnap. Supposedly, I was "dead" and someone was fixing to do an autopsy on me. They took my blood pressure, 80/50. No, not dead yet they said, but wait a little while, should be down soon.

But not as terrifying for me as it might seem. Death in my dreams tends to be meaningless. I'm frequently "on the other side". Further, between the post about the execution about the prisoner, the aborted FB post about the new bullet, and how much I think about the TV show "Charmed", I can see event triggers that could produce that dream.

Comment

Turret # 2 - 6-inch ? .......

Think I found it. Something like the Boston or the Canberra.

A picture like this
              [ATTACH]35308[/ATTACH]

would produce seeing the guns off centered with a radar mistaken for a Brit type on the opposite side ................ though in the dream, it still seems like I was looking at the General Belgano......though the forward deck house was taller, the bulk heads smoother, like the Albany but not as tall, not as narrow.

Anyhow, CHG or CH, have always been a fav of mine and as a child, when I saw the Moscow, I fell in love.........was too innocent to know it belonged to the other side. So I took a CAG model and turned it into a CAH (?) with a flight deck aft.

I suppose something in the past few days just tripped that memory or reminded me of the Canberra (once read the "Welcome Aboard" for it).

Oh, well!
              Cleveland Class - CL converted to Taos Missile cruisers..... Missing 6-inch turret on the USS Little Rock ?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                Cleveland Class - CL converted to Taos Missile cruisers..... Missing 6-inch turret on the USS Little Rock ?
                Apparently they did that to all the Cleveland CLG's except the Galveston and the Topeka. Both those ships have a similar forward deck house as when they were gun cruisers but the others, have a deck house in the design as pictured above. In short, bigger.

So it looks like the second turret bought it for more space.

EDIT: Here's the answer. Those that lost the turret were the ones converted to fleet flag ships.
                Last edited by Tamara; 30 Jan 14,, 16:26.

Comment

Flagships.......

Apparently they did that to all the Cleveland CLG's except the Galveston and the Topeka. Both those ships have a similar forward deck house as when they were gun cruisers but the others, have a deck house in the design as pictured above. In short, bigger.

So it looks like the second turret bought it for more space.

EDIT: Here's the answer. Those that lost the turret were the ones converted to fleet flag ships.

like for big event stuff as VADM & Mrs. William Martin entertaining Prince Rainier and Princess Grace on the forecastle ???? .......
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice hands in the pockets there, Squid!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Captured on film....

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Nice hands in the pockets there, Squid!
                      You noticed that as well..... R.H.I.P.

At least he has his wife's portrait on the bulkhead ;)

Seems to have extensive naval aviation background in the following recital..

"Two of the main contributions of this oral history are in describing Admiral Martin’s work as a naval aviation pioneer, particularly in the area of night and all-weather flying, and his repeated contacts with Admiral Arleigh Burke. Martin served as the latter’s executive assistant during Burke’s tenure as Chief of Naval Operations and thus observed him on a daily basis. After Martin graduated from the Naval Academy in 1934, he served 1934-37 in the battleship Idaho (BB-42), then received flight training at Pensacola Naval Air Station, 1937-38. Subsequent aviation assignments: 1938-40 in Scouting Squadron Two (VS-2); 1940-42 as a flight training instructor at Pensacola and Corpus Christi. During World War II combat action, he was executive officer, then commanding officer of Scouting Squadron 10 (VS-10); commanding officer of Torpedo Squadron Ten (VT?10), and Commander Night Air Group 90—all on board the carrier Enterprise (CV?6). In the summer of 1945 served on the U.S. Fleet staff for anti-kamikaze experimental work. From 1945 to 1948 he was a test pilot at the Naval Air Test Center, Patuxent River; served 1948-50 as executive officer of the Fleet All-Weather Training Unit Pacific (FAWTUPAC); and was a student at the Naval War College, 1950-51. From 1951 to 1953, Martin was all-weather flight coordinator in OP-05W, the Air Warfare Division of OpNav, then served 1953-55 as commanding officer of FAWTUPAC. He commanded the aircraft carrier Saipan (CVL-48) in 1955-56, notably in providing rescue and relief following a 1955 hurricane that hit Tampico, Mexico. In 1956-57 Martin was CNO Arleigh Burke’s executive assistant. He served 1957-58 as chief of staff to Commander Carrier Division Five; in 1958-59 commanded the Airborne Early Warning Wing at Argentina, Newfoundland; and commanded Carrier Division 19 in the Pacific, 1959-60. In 1960-61 he was deputy chief of the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group in West Germany. After a tour from 1961 to 1963 as Chief of Naval Air Reserve Training, he commanded Carrier Division Two, leading the planning for Operation Sea Orbit, an around-the-world cruise by the world’s first nuclear-powered task force. He served as Assistant CNO (Air) from 1964 to 1967; commanded the Sixth Fleet, 1967-68; and was deputy and chief of staff for Commander in Chief Atlantic Fleet, 1968-71. After his retirement from active naval service, Admiral Martin worked for Grumman Aerospace Corporation"
                      Last edited by blidgepump; 31 Jan 14,, 22:21.

Comment

Still has his hands in his pockets.....
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Still has his hands in his pockets.....
                          And? Maybe he looked forward to become POTUS.

Attached Files
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                          X