This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Thursday for Ukraine

I am fairly sure that most of you are familiar with the EuroMaidan protests in Ukraine against the corrupt government of Viktor Yanukovych. This past week on January 16, the Yanukovych controlled Rada (parliament) passed draconian legislation to suppress freedom of speech and assembly in Ukraine. Yanukovych signed the repressive measures into law the next day.

For all practical purposes, mass protests like EuroMaidan are now illegal with a penalty of 10-15 years in prison. It is now against the law to investigate corruption/criminal activity by police, judges, state officials. It is against the law to criticize the government in social media such as Facebook, Twitter, VKontakte, etc. All organizations that receive funding from abroad (even NGOs and churches) must register as 'foreign agents'. Members of parliament (MPs) no longer enjoy immunity from prosecution (intended for opposition MPs). Perhaps most disturbing is the 'libel law' which was purposefully left vague. Unauthorized criticism of the government by citizens and/or journalists can result in a criminal charge of libel against the state. The new measures have drawn condemnation from all around the world.

I just wanted to let everyone here know what is happening in Little Russia.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
    I am fairly sure that most of you are familiar with the EuroMaidan protests in Ukraine against the corrupt government of Viktor Yanukovych. This past week on January 16, the Yanukovych controlled Rada (parliament) passed draconian legislation to suppress freedom of speech and assembly in Ukraine. Yanukovych signed the repressive measures into law the next day.

For all practical purposes, mass protests like EuroMaidan are now illegal with a penalty of 10-15 years in prison. It is now against the law to investigate corruption/criminal activity by police, judges, state officials. It is against the law to criticize the government in social media such as Facebook, Twitter, VKontakte, etc. All organizations that receive funding from abroad (even NGOs and churches) must register as 'foreign agents'. Members of parliament (MPs) no longer enjoy immunity from prosecution (intended for opposition MPs). Perhaps most disturbing is the 'libel law' which was purposefully left vague. Unauthorized criticism of the government by citizens and/or journalists can result in a criminal charge of libel against the state. The new measures have drawn condemnation from all around the world.

I just wanted to let everyone here know what is happening in Little Russia.
    your title was deceptive advertising to me i thought you were talking about the stock market.

*sigh* they went a bit overboard so everyone is a criminal now that will make it interesting once spring/summer start. my guess is this will accelerate the dichotomy on the ground region to region. horrible idea on their part but fear and economic incentive and you get crazy ideas.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Amnesty International - Ukraine’s new charter for oppression
      sigpic

Comment

When I read stuff like this I thank God I live in America that has a Constitution and Bill of Rights. Not a perfect system but ……. holy cow.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I think the phrase 'increasingly dictatorial' is applicable here. Be interesting to see how this all pans out. Unfortunately I suspect a bit of blood is going to be shed before this all shakes out.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I am fairly sure that most of you are familiar with the EuroMaidan protests in Ukraine against the corrupt government of Viktor Yanukovych.
            The Verkhovna Rada approved a bill that holds people responsible for defamation, including the over the Internet. The provision is contained in Law 3879 and the Criminal Code of Ukraine was amended with Article 151 "Defamation". The penalties for defamation range from community service, to a heavy fine, to one year of corrective labor in a prison facility. The bolded above could indeed constitute defamation.
            sigpic

Comment

Up to 91 increased the quantity of policemen who were wounded and injured at the clash with participants of opposition meeting, Department of public relations of Ukrainian Ministry of Internal informs.
              The head of Central Hospital of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Anna Kovalenko said there were various traumas diagnosed amongst policemen, their age is from 20 till 47 years old.
              “Many patients have damages of hands, legs, broken ribs, injuries, but is also there are patients with deep wounds and who, probably, will require operating treatment”, - said Anna Kovalenko.

http://for-ua.com/ - source in Russian, sorry...
              It's about the clashes taken place at the end of November, 2013, in Kiev.

So, who is responsible for broken bones of policemen?
              How many people were charged and sentenced for fighting police? How many of them in jail?
              Dictatorship is supposed to pursue its enemies...

Comment

To borrow from an axiom, I believe our members and guests are astute enough to read the repressive writing on the wall.
                sigpic

Comment

The Verkhovna Rada approved a bill that holds people responsible for defamation, including the over the Internet. The provision is contained in Law 3879 and the Criminal Code of Ukraine was amended with Article 151 "Defamation". The penalties for defamation range from community service, to a heavy fine, to one year of corrective labor in a prison facility. The bolded above could indeed constitute defamation.
                  I assume you could be arrested if you returned to the Ukraine Minnie?
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    I assume you could be arrested if you returned to the Ukraine Minnie?
                    Theoretically yes. The new laws also permit libel/defamation prosecutions in absentia. I doubt they would officially hassle me, but there are other ways to make things difficult.
                    sigpic

Comment

You need forge passport and a change of exterior.

Comment

Street protests have spiked. Nearly 100,000 battle with police in Kiev-

Ukraine Protests Turn Into Fiery Street Battles-Reuters Jan. 19, 2014
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                          When I read stuff like this I thank God I live in America that has a Constitution and Bill of Rights. Not a perfect system but ……. holy cow.
                          Good for you.
                          Are you frustrated about "dictatorship" or all these riots?
                          By the way, List of countries by incarceration rate from Wiki:
                          Prisoners per 100 000 population:

List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Looks like worth to think about, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
                            Good for you.
                            Are you frustrated about "dictatorship" or all these riots?
                            Where have you read that he is frustrated?

By the way, List of countries by incarceration rate from Wiki:

Looks like worth to think about, isn't it?
                            Surely looks like Ukraine will try to catch up.

BTW, with the new 'reforms' you do realize that those who will end up in prison will be political prisoners, not criminals.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

The violence is increasing. Kyiv hasn't seen anything like this since WWII.

The violence problem is twofold. On one pole are the über-nationalists who are trying to provoke the government into harsher crackdowns and thus greater rebellion. On the other pole are the 'titushki' which translates as thugs or provocateurs. They are paid young toughs from the Russian speaking parts of Ukraine who are bused into Kyiv by the government. Their purpose is to cause mayhem so the government can declare a state of emergency and impose ever harsher measures. The titushki usually wear black jackets. In the video above, it looks to me like titushki attacking the Berkut (riot police) with clubs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X