Hiroo Onada has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiroo Onada has died

One of the last and most famous of the holdouts has slipped into history.

Japanese soldier from WWII, who hid in jungle for decades refusing to believe war was over, dies at 91 | Fox News

RIP to the villagers he murdered, after the war.

Good riddance to him.
    Last edited by troung; 18 Jan 14,, 01:46.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

kudos to Norio Suzuki.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Kudos for his unswerving loyalty to his Emperor overshadowed somewhat by the killing of some 30 innocent lives.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Kudos for his unswerving loyalty to his Emperor overshadowed somewhat by the killing of some 30 innocent lives.
          Can't help wishing he'd perished or surrendered a lot earlier than he did given the lives that were lost unnecessarily. Loyalty is all well & good, but there is a fanaticism underlying his actions that I struggle with.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I wonder what smiling fellow kept his sword. Of course, kept it if Marcos didn't get to him.

Comment

Amazingly the story of him giving up the ghost seems to be reported without the whole killing innocent farmers and burning crops. I wonder if an SS man, who knew or reasobly should have known the war was over, spent thirty years after the war gunning down British or American civilians in cold blood would he have gotten so much admiration.

I hope his last days on earth were extremely painful.
              http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/17/wo...html?hpt=hp_c1
              The Philippines government pardoned him. But when he returned to Lubang in 1996, relatives of people he was accused of killing gathered to demand compensation.

After his return to Japan, he moved to Brazil in 1975 and set up a cattle ranch.

"Japan's philosophy and ideas changed dramatically after World War II," Onoda told ABC. "That philosophy clashed with mine so I went to live in Brazil
              Good riddance.
              Last edited by troung; 18 Jan 14,, 21:31.
              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
              X