No announcement yet.

Officers Overseeing Nuclear Arms Accused of Cheating on Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no. it seems counter-intuitive, but unlike the executors of a strategy-- the uniformed soldiers-- the people at the very top should KNOW how to prevaricate, cheat, and steal, even if that didn't come naturally with being a politician. (not that they should be DOING that all the time.)

because there will be times when the state has foreign enemies that can't be fought "face to face, with gun and sword and soldier's honor", as one of my favorite authors puts it.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Seeking Nuclear Cures, Air Force Retraces Old Path
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        no. it seems counter-intuitive, but unlike the executors of a strategy-- the uniformed soldiers-- the people at the very top should KNOW how to prevaricate, cheat, and steal, even if that didn't come naturally with being a politician. (not that they should be DOING that all the time.)

because there will be times when the state has foreign enemies that can't be fought "face to face, with gun and sword and soldier's honor", as one of my favorite authors puts it.
        Let me see if I get this right. It's OK to practice on your own population, so you would be ready for the enemies at some point?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Let me see if I get this right. It's OK to practice on your own population, so you would be ready for the enemies at some point?
          Dok, its called governing. So long as we have representative government in the world this has existed.

To think, and practice, otherwise is political naivete.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Good start....but how about the resignations and early retirements of ADM Haney & LTG Wilson as well?
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
              Maybe we can import them?
              No.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Dok, its called governing. So long as we have representative government in the world this has existed.

To think, and practice, otherwise is political naivete.
                I am aware of this brutal reality, Buck. Churchill said it right about the democracy.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Good start....but how about the resignations and early retirements of ADM Haney & LTG Wilson as well?
                  Hmm, looks like they keep their jobs as it is mid-level commanders who get the axe.

Commanders fired in nuke missile cheating scandal - SFGate

Small outtake:

No generals are being punished. Maj. Gen. Michael Carey, who was fired last October as commander of the 20th Air Force, which is responsible for all three 150-missile wings of the ICBM force, is still on duty as a staff officer at Air Force Space Command but has requested retirement; his request is being reviewed.

Carey was fired after a military investigation determined that he had engaged in inappropriate behavior while leading a U.S. government delegation to a nuclear security exercise in Russia last summer. He was replaced by Maj. Gen. Jack Weinstein.
                  Wilson, the Global Strike Command chief, said the changes in training and testing will be far-reaching.

"We're not just putting a fresh coat of paint on these problems," he said. "We're taking bold action."

After the cheating was announced in January, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel launched a pair of in-depth reviews of the nuclear forces to determine why the ICBM force has suffered so many setbacks over the past year.

Hagel said he his goal was to restore public confidence in the nuclear force

Comment

i can't help but feel that much of this is connected to our current budget chaos. with the recent SERB (selective early retirement board) i've seen quite a few good O-6s go down the retirement drain along with the chaff.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                    X