Armor in the Battle of the Bulge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor in the Battle of the Bulge

Where can I get blow by blow accounts of US and German armor in combat during the Ardennes Offensive?

I have most of Zaloga's work. I am aware of Ralf Tieman's chronicle of the 1st SS Panzer Div. Any recommendations from your libraries?
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

All from the US Army Center of Military History website

THE ARDENNES: BATTLE OF THE BULGE (Contents)

[Note: This manuscript was prepared during the Korean War by the deployed combat historians assigned to the Military History Section, United States Army Forces, Far East (USAFFE), and forwarded to the Office of the Chief of Military History (now US A

Ardennes-Alsace

ETO Order of Battle - DIVISIONS

Books

Don Fox Patton's Vanguard: The United States Army Fourth Armored Division

Eisenhower, John S.D. The Bitter Woods

MacDonald, Charles B. A Time for Trumpets

Houston, Ernest E. Hell on Wheels: The 2nd Armored Division in World War II

And from Amazon....Amazon.com: armor in the battle of the bulge: Books
    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 10 Jan 14,, 16:39.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

I knew we could count on AR for some good sources . . . . .
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        I knew we could count on AR for some good sources . . . . .
        I have no life.....
        Mark Twain

Comment

I had read 3 books from the list: Cole, D.F. Patton, C. McDonald.

Everything else is news to me. I missed an entire campaign book!? Didn't even know that one existed. Thanks, AR! Also, the "Examples" manuscript is quite interesting. Looking into it now.
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.

Comment

Your welcome!

Now get that arctic air the hell away from Virginia!
            Mark Twain

Comment

Trevor Depuy's book is also a great and very detailed source for the Ardennes.

I'd STRONGLY recommend Thomas L. Jentz and Panzer Truppen Vol. II. The Complete Guide To The Creation & Combat Employment Of Germany's Tank Force 1943-1945. Jentz' research acumen was sufficient for Col. David Glantz and Jonathan House to use as primary sourcing for their seminal THE BATTLE OF KURSK. Exhaustive detailing of equipment status and subsequent reinforcements for all major players on the German side taken directly from Wehrmacht admin postings for all major German combat operations post Kursk.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I read excerpts of it and now that the price had gone down, seriously considering to buy both volumes. He seems to have incorporated a lot of AARs and "lessons learned" into his work.

Comment

Thunderbolt, Creighton Abrams and the Army of his time.

Thunderbolt: General Creighton Abrams and the Army of His Times: Lewis Sorley: 9780253220028: Amazon.com: Books

Not specific to the Ardennes but he lead the 3rd Army in its relief of Bastonge and the most famous tank of the battle Cobra King was under his command.
                  'Cobra King' led 4th Armored Division column that relieved Bastogne during Battle of the B | Article | The United States Army

Comment

Triple C Reply

My only disappointments were his relative neglect for heer panzergrenadier formations. Not nearly the same detail. Also, while the book superbly details the refitting and reinforcement of units to various fronts-from independant companies all the way up to entire divisions, you do not see shipments of replacement vehicles nor their distribution once reaching army depots near the front.

That would be really excellent.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Z, I have been trying to find that short history on the Cobra King forever. I used to be able to pluck it from Google Search. Thunderbolt will have to wait, as I finally gave in to S-2's recommendations (and the little black-glad Panzerman devil sitting on my shoulder) and bought the Jentz.

I visited West Point in 2012 with a friend. But I had to stop by the Thunderbolt VII monument before the Abrams Gate and explain to him what a great military commander he was. My friend wasn't too interested in military history, and I can see his eyes glazing over because I might as well be speaking in Cantonese or Martian. I stopped, backtracked, and told him simply that Abrams' crew accounted for 50 Panzers. That woke him up real good.

Comment

Working...
                      X