Gates critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates critique

A peek into Afghan war policy from an insider. Sobering.

Obama 'can't stand Karzai', lacks faith in Afghan war strategy
    sigpic

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
    A peek into Afghan war policy from an insider. Sobering.

Obama 'can't stand Karzai', lacks faith in Afghan war strategy

Before I even read it,the conclusion is that Obama is either stupid ,malevolent or both.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      Before I even read it,the conclusion is that Obama is either stupid ,malevolent or both.
      It's not that simplistic. At 574 pages, his memoir as SoD under Obama should be interesting reading.
      sigpic

Comment

Simple it is.Simplistic ,I don't think so.Obama had 7 years to make up his mind on A-stan before he became POTUS.He had 5 years to implement whatever he decided.
        The result of his thoughts and actions is defeat and shame.With more wasted blood and money in the meantime.
        Interesting the memories of Gates may be.But if they just say the same thing with more words...
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

WSJ has a free excerpt. You think Gate's harsh on Obama? Wait until he starts on the Congress. Find the text interesting and dispassionate, so far.
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

overall gist from the newspaper summaries seems to be that Obama, in the end, made all the correct decisions (well, correct according to Gates).

but in the process of doing so, the administration had to go through a significant amount of political infighting and political posturing, with obama showing little trust in his generals.

it'll certainly be a very interesting read.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Good, Bad or indifferent, I always admired Gates point of views. As far as I can see he has pretty much been a strait shooter through two Presidencies. That is not to say he is "perfect" by any means. And I do admire him for taking charge of the Boy Scouts.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 08 Jan 14,, 15:41.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So far, from the WSJ excerpt and NYT concis, Gates said the following things about Obama.

Cons:
                Micromanagement
                Trusts only a small coterie of advisers
                Suspicious of senior commanders
                Sleek politician
                Self-Doubt

Pro:
                Rigorous thinker
                Authorization of raid on Bin Laden's compound “one of the most courageous decisions [Gates] had ever witnessed in the White House.”
                Gates “believe Obama was right in each of these [major] decisions.”

Observations on G.W. Bush
                Enjoy the company of senior commanders
                Not a micromanager
                By the time Gates appointed DoD chief, not concerned with re-election

Negative assessment of Chenney, Rumsfeld, Syria and Libya hawks on both the left and right. Harshest criticism reserved for "incompetent" and "hypocritical" Congress.

It's going to a fascinating book. It might become required reading for historians of our epoch.
                Last edited by Triple C; 08 Jan 14,, 16:45.
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

None of what Gates has said contradicts what has come out elsewhere

eg Kaplans book "The Insurgents, Davis Petraeus and the plot to change the american way of war" reinforces Gates views

it's a good read for those who have the inclination....
                  Linkeden:
                  http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                  http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

yeah, no big surprises overall. also second Kaplan's book, another good read.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      Good, Bad or indifferent, I always admired Gates point of views. As far as I can see he has pretty much been a strait shooter through two Presidencies. That is not to say he is "perfect" by any means. And I do admire him for taking charge of the Boy Scouts.
                      Gates fairy well tells it like it is. Should be a good read for all who enjoy the insider stuff.

Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War - Robert M Gates

Kindle/Hardcover/Audiobook
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X