‘I would love to teach but…’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brinktk View Post
    Trust me, they're going to earn every bit of it.
    Let me pass on the words of wisdom that were given to me when I was a Blockhouse instructor.

Never forget that your name will be associated with that individual by your peers. Your reputation rest with their performance in the fleet.

Your not going to be an instructor forever. Train them like they were going to your unit. Because one day they will be in your unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Let me pass on the words of wisdom that were given to me when I was a Blockhouse instructor.

Never forget that your name will be associated with that individual by your peers. Your reputation rest with their performance in the fleet.

Your not going to be an instructor forever. Train them like they were going to your unit. Because one day they will be in your unit.
      Absolutely. I'm actually compiling a required reading list as we speak. I know I got the first class of the semesters attention today after going over the syllabus. Lots of wide eyes. I guess it was quite different than the one they received last semester. Basically, it went the way of "it's no excuse time, either deal with it and perform or gtfo."

Comment

Originally posted by Brinktk View Post
        Absolutely. I'm actually compiling a required reading list as we speak. I know I got the first class of the semesters attention today after going over the syllabus. Lots of wide eyes. I guess it was quite different than the one they received last semester. Basically, it went the way of "it's no excuse time, either deal with it and perform or gtfo."
        As things go, that has happened to me in a lot of classes, from the 90's to now. Some instructors say it is the contract with the student; there is an old cartoon which shows a student running after their windblown papers screaming, "Oh, No! My syllabus!". Two passerbys see this, one questions what a syllabus is.

"Professor's way of "I told you so"."

Of course, I recall another prof, ex career police, say during the first meeting, "Don't like that? (about some method of his teaching) There's the door.".

In my case, the first session is suppose to be paperwork, but more because it is legal and waivers, and not because of what comes next. Sign and initial. As time goes on, I am learning there is more and more reason of why to have them do that, more and more situations where if they try to take you to court because of something that happened, you got the paperwork upfront that they were informed and they acknowledged that risk.

As far as what Gun Grape said,

"Let me pass on the words of wisdom that were given to me when I was a Blockhouse instructor.

Your not going to be an instructor forever. Train them like they were going to your unit. Because one day they will be in your unit."
        How very true. In this industry, it is small, and often one's name will be known about around it. Others may not know my name, but they certainly know the name of the man who taught me, the organization I work for.

As far as training them, treating them as, if, they were to be part of my unit, I start off the bat like that. I believe, though, it is more from the joy I get, such as when I was an officer, of taking care of people. I don't know if I developed it way back when or if it is just something that is always there.

Granted, however, as each class moves on,.......there are those, here and there, that really get on my nerves.

Comment

Working...
        X