Al Queda captures Fallujah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Queda captures Fallujah

Al Qaeda-linked militants capture Fallujah during violent outbreak | Fox News

After fighting in a bloody three-day war, Al Qaeda-affiliated militants captured the western city of Fallujah, and raised its flag over government buildings in the city previously secured by U.S. forces before withdrawing from the country two years later.

Hadi Razeij, head of the Anbar province police force, said police had left the city center entirely and had positioned themselves on the edge of town.

"The walls of the city are in the hands of the police force, but the people of Fallujah are the prisoners of ISIL," he said, speaking on Arabic language satellite broadcaster al-Arabiya.

I used to laugh at all the hardline Sunni claims that the mideast will end up a Caliphate. Now, sometimes im not that sure.

If Iraq falls to the Sunnis then Assad has lost, if Saudi Arabia cant force a victory in Syria they just may be able to force one in Iraq, isolating Syria and dominating the region.

Not sure what to make of this, if its that serious, what do the professionals here think?
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
      I used to laugh at all the hardline Sunni claims that the mideast will end up a Caliphate. Now, sometimes im not that sure.

If Iraq falls to the Sunnis then Assad has lost, if Saudi Arabia cant force a victory in Syria they just may be able to force one in Iraq, isolating Syria and dominating the region.

Not sure what to make of this, if its that serious, what do the professionals here think?
      Yeah, but how long do you think the 'Caliphate' will hold together before internal or external pressures kill it? Something that big & dangerous is going to create some strange bedfellows & some huge internal rivalries. If the Sauds think they are going to run it they need to think again. They are as much in the sights of those who want an Islamic state as anyone else in the region. Cue disintegration & civil war.
      Last edited by Bigfella; 05 Jan 14,, 08:35.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

chakos,

If Iraq falls to the Sunnis then Assad has lost,
        lol, that's not going to happen. one reason why the sunnis shifted en masse to the americans back in 2007 was the realization that the americans were all that stood between them and a bloody massacre by the shias.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Asty, the sunni alliance that helped us crush AQI in 07/08 appears to have passed into the history books. If Iraq doesn't get its act together quickly Ramadi is next on the list to fall and IIRC, already under assault.

Comment

What a f-ing waste...

Comment

Reports from Syria say that rebel and AQ militia's are fighting each other in numerous locations for control. A high level AQ commander captured in Lebanon has died while in government custody.

Back to Fallujah... My sources say that the US is rushing additional weaponry to the Iraqi government of Nuri al-Maliki
              sigpic

Comment

I was wounded in Fallujah back in 03...I also lost a good chunk of my platoon (2 KIA 8 WIA) in one incident in that city. I would lose far more in the 2 years I operated there, in Ramadi, Habbaniyah, and in al Hit.I watched it fall to the insurgency like a fatal tumor. Spreading to Habbaniyah, Ramadi, Hit, and Haditha. My buddies and I fought desperately(literally) to try to get rid of the evil that is AQI. We found hundreds of dead Iraqis, tortured and executed at the hands of AQI. We saw a population absolutely terrified by these murderers. We fought for them, and eventually they had a chance at normalcy. After the awakening AQI was crippled. Fallujah and Ramadi became beacons of light to show that things COULD change and they did.

By 2011 all the VEN groups were hurting so badly in Iraq that they were working together. I couldn't believe it the first time I found out AQI was working with JAM and JRTN...all ideologically opposed to one another and who were killing one another just 2 years before. Doesn't matter now it seems...

Our efforts and sacrifice were a waste. The people will again descend into tyranny only this time we won't stop it. It's a very bitter taste I'm left with.

I would go back TODAY if given the chance to stop this.

Comment

Iraq PM urges people of Fallujah to expel al-Qaida
                  January 6, 2014

Iraqi family leaving Fallujah

Iraq’s prime minister is urging residents and tribes of Fallujah to “expel” al-Qaida militants from this western city to avoid an all-out battle. Nouri al-Maliki’s message, broadcast on Monday over state TV, came as dozens of families flee Fallujah in fear of major fighting. Al-Maliki also urged Iraqi troops to avoid targeting Fallujah’s residential areas. Fallujah and the provincial capital of Ramadi in the Sunni-dominated Anbar province were overrun by al-Qaida fighters last week. Iraqi troops have since been trying to dislodge militants from the group, known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, from the two cities. Al-Maliki did not say how he expects Fallujah residents to push out militants and it was not clear if his remarks reflect an imminent military operation to retake the city.
                  Source
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                    Back to Fallujah... My sources say that the US is rushing additional weaponry to the Iraqi government of Nuri al-Maliki
                    Spillover from Syria ?

Lebanon & Iraq are the most vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Spillover from Syria ? Lebanon & Iraq are the most vulnerable.
                      Definitely. Up to two years ago, AQ was virtually extinct in Anbar province.
                      sigpic

Comment

well, that and maliki generally dicking around, pissing away what sunni support he had.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The only way al-Maliki and "his" government is going to do anything effective is under serious pressure! Maybe if they were to receive notice that "if they do not handle the problem and eradicate AQ from the country, we're coming back!" Oh, yea! That would only happen if we had strong leadership in this country! Oh well, I guess AQ establishes itself again!

Comment

Since Kerry already said that ain't happening, maybe you can tell him you plan to withdraw your aid, too. Since it is not peanuts, I guess this will have more impact then risking more lives there.

After that reinforce Oil for Food program.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Maybe there's not much the west can do anyways. Anything we do only ever delays the inevitable so maybe its time for the locals to put on their big boy pants and deal with their own issues.
                              The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Working...
                              X