Somethig that might interest american wabbits, AMA by Col Peter Mansoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somethig that might interest american wabbits, AMA by Col Peter Mansoor

Came across this very nice AMA (Ask me Anything) done by Col (retd) Peter Mansoor on Reddit.

I am Colonel (Retired) Peter Mansoor, former executive officer to General David Petraeus during the surge in Iraq and now a professor of military history at the Ohio State University. AMA. : IAmA

I am Colonel (Retired) Peter Mansoor, former executive officer to General David Petraeus during the surge in Iraq and now a professor of military history at the Ohio State University. AMA. (self.IAmA)
    submitted 15 hours ago* by ColonelPete

Happy New Year! I am Colonel (Retired) Peter Mansoor, former executive officer to General David Petraeus during the surge in Iraq and now a professor of military history at the Ohio State University. I arrived at Ohio State in 2008 after a 26 year career in the U.S. Army, which included two tours of duty in the Iraq War. I was graduated from West Point in 1982 and served in a variety of command and staff positions in the United States, Europe, and the Middle East during my career. I was fortunate to be a witness to history when the Iron Curtain came down in 1989 during my tour of duty in Bad Hersfeld, Germany. I also was the founding director of the U.S. Army/Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Center and helped to edit Field Manual 3-24, Counterinsurgency, which was used to reshape U.S. operations in Iraq during the surge of 2007-2008.
    I am the author of three books:
    The GI Offensive in Europe: The Triumph of American Infantry Divisions, 1941-1945 (University Press of Kansas, 1999)
    A memoir of my tour as a brigade commander in Baghdad in 2003-2004, Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander’s War in Iraq (Yale University Press, 2008) - Baghdad at Sunrise - Mansoor, Peter R. - Yale University Press
    And my most recent work, Surge: My Journey with General David Petraeus and the Remaking of the Iraq War (Yale University Press, 2013) - Surge - Mansoor, Peter R. - Yale University Press
    http://imgur.com/UbMQnPD
    This is my first experience with the Reddit community. I’m looking forward to your questions – ask me anything!
    Thanks for a great interchange of ideas today - sorry I wasn't able to answer all the questions! Time to go watch the Orange Bowl now. Go Buckeyes!
    3239 comments

[–]grant1023 885 points 14 hours ago
    What do you believe to be the greatest threat against the US?
    [–]ColonelPete[S] 2138 points 11 hours ago
    Collapse from within - the increasingly polarization of our domestic politics. We need to find common ground and work from the middle outward, not from the extremes inward.
    permalinkparent
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Compelling, it was. In his AMA, Mansoor gave Redditors a look behind the scenes of the surge in Iraq and discussed his candid views of colleagues in the Iraq War and issues in the military. Bluestacks TextNow VPN

Comment

Nadhim

Welcome to the WAB.

We ask all user go this this thread and introduce themselves. Tell us where you are from and a little about yourself.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...61571&page=134

When you are done there, go to this thread for how to be a participant here.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

This was an impressive set of responses. As a Soldier who commanded a company for COL Mansoor for a very short time (before he left), I actually have a better impression of the man now than I did then. I still feel like he was a bit of an egghead who was much better off in academia than leading troops, but this AMA helped minimize some of his drawbacks and shows his foresight and intelligence.

Tankersteve

Comment

Working...
        X