I Knew It!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Brink, the good Doktor was not being literal. Our Balkan friend is quite on par with us and knows how to keep in the game.
    Ahhh:slap:

I digress...

Comment

Originally posted by Brinktk View Post
      Touchy touchy are we! I'm actually surprised the staff at duffel blog doesn't have about 90% jar heads on it since you guys get so much shutter time in you rifle squads...what's you guys MTOE for a squad? Like 9 cameramen and 3 riflemen?
      With the budget cuts coming, we know its all about the press.

On a different note.

You said you are a ROTC Instructor, and you have Lawton as your location.

I didn't know that UCLA had a ROTC unit?
      Last edited by Gun Grape; 31 Dec 13,, 05:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        With the budget cuts coming, we know it all about the press.

On a different note.

You said you are a ROTC Instructor, and you have Lawton as your location.

I didn't know that UCLA had a ROTC unit?
        It is Cameron University. It is a fairly small university, but its' military science department is nationally ranked and commissions almost as many 2LTs as OU and OSU combined. (About half of the cadet battalion are either green to gold, active duty option, or prior service from Ft. Sill)

I've only been here since October, but it is certainly a change of pace from what I'm used to. It's certainly been interesting so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinktk View Post
          It is Cameron University. It is a fairly small university, but its' military science department is nationally ranked and commissions almost as many 2LTs as OU and OSU combined. (About half of the cadet battalion are either green to gold, active duty option, or prior service from Ft. Sill)

I've only been here since October, but it is certainly a change of pace from what I'm used to. It's certainly been interesting so far.
          I was at Sill from 91-94.

For the uninitiated, the running joke around the school was that they were going to University of Cameron, Lawton America (UCLA). Took a few classes there during our down time. And our Color Guard did a few things for them ( I was the MarDet Color Sgt the last 2 years)

and one back at you

A Story of Creation
          Author Unknown
          In the beginning was the word, and the word was God. In the beginning was God and all else was darkness and void, and without form, so God created the heavens and the earth. He created the sun and the moon, and the stars, so that light might pierce the darkness. The Earth, God divided between the land and the sea and these He filled with many assorted creatures.

And the dark, salty, slimy creatures that inhabited the murky depths of the oceans, God called sailors. And he dressed them accordingly. The had little trousers that looked like bells at the bottom. And their shirts had cute little flaps on them, and they wore funny looking hats. He gave them long sideburns and beards, nicknamed them "squids", and banished them to a lifetime at sea, so normal folks would not have to associate with them. To further identify these unloved creatures, He called them "petty" and "commodore" instead of titles worthy of red-blooded men.

And the flaky creatures of the land, God called soldiers. And with a twinkle in His eye, and a sense of humor only He can have, God made their trousers too short and their covers too large. He also made their pockets oversized, so that they may warm their hands. And to adorn their uniforms, God gave them badges in quantities only a dime store owner could appreciate. And he gave them emblems and crests and all sorts of shiny things that glittered, and devices that dangled. (When you are God you tend to get carried away.)

On the 6th day, God thought about creating some air creatures for which he designed a Greyhound bus driver's uniform. He discarded this idea during the first week, and it was not until years later that some apostles resurrected this theme and established what we now know as the "wild blue yonder wonders".

And on the 7th day, as you know, God rested. But on the 8th day, at 0530, God looked down upon Earth and was not happy. God was just not happy! So He thought about His labors, and in His divine wisdom, God created a divine creature. And this He called Marine. And the Marines, who God created in His own image, were to be of the air, and of the land, and of the sea. And these He gave many wonderful uniforms. some were green, and some were blue with red trim. And in the early days, some were even a beautiful tan. He gave them practical fighting uniforms, so they could wage war against the forces of Satan and the evil. He gave them service uniforms for their daily work and training. And He gave them evening and dress uniforms.....sharp and stylish, handsome things, so they may promenade with their ladies on Saturday night and impress everybody. He also gave them swords, so that people who were not impressed could be dealt with accordingly.

And at the end of the 8th day, God looked down upon the Earth and saw that it was good. But was God happy? No! God was still not happy. Because in the course of his labors, He had forgotten one thing. He did not have a Marine uniform for himself. But He thought about it, and thought about it, and finally satisfied Himself in knowing that, well.......................not everybody can be a MARINE!!!

Comment

Lol, gotta love the gyrenes.

My father is a former Marine, spent from 67-75 in the Corps. The god father of my children is a former Marine as well. I proudly wear a 1st Marine Division combat patch for being task organized to them in OIF 2. We worked the hell holes of Fallujah and Ramadi together for months. I've got a healthy respect for that service and the quality of warrior they produce...

With all that being said, I KNOW from first hand experience that if you let them tell their stories, well, it's hard to tell where reality ends and fantasy begins!

As for the glorious city of Lawton, well, the bright side is we've gotten a Target store since last time I was stationed here. Dragons is still going strong apparently and of course...the joes are EVERYWHERE! I bet Cameron would be different than you remember too because they've recently made it pretty nice...still don't have a football team though sadly.

Comment

It only makes the marines more fearsome in my opinion.:scared:

Comment

Gunny,

Columbus, GA is the home to FT Benning, aka The Infantry School.

It to had a UCLA. We referred to Columbus college as UCLA....University of Columbus 'Longside the Airport. It bordered the Southside of Columbus' Regional airport.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Thought I'd put this here. Not worth opening another thread and this seems to be the place to make fun of each other.

(edit) oops had the F word in it. Fixed
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 Feb 14,, 18:38.

Comment

No Colonels?
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

A gunny that censors swear words...

Comment

He left the A-word, but censored the F one. Hmmm...

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I always thought the "A word" was a term of endearment.

You mean its a bad word?

Comment

Nope, but neither I take F as a bad word. Or discipline for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Thought I'd put this here. Not worth opening another thread and this seems to be the place to make fun of each other.
                              [ATTACH]35455[/ATTACH]

(edit) oops had the F word in it. Fixed
                              Aaaaand roger...damn LT's, they're like herding cats aren't they? .....or are they!?

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                The US Marine Corps actually was born in Philadelphia's Navy Yard.;)

The Tun Tavern was the home of their first Recruiting Drive.
                                Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 Feb 14,, 16:54.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X